Switching Big Law Cities after SA Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Switching Big Law Cities after SA Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 3:00 pm

I was wondering if it is possible to do a SA with a firm in one major market that your school typcially places well in but then ask to actually practice in a different city after you recieved an offer?

Anonymous User

Re: Switching Big Law Cities after SA Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was wondering if it is possible to do a SA with a firm in one major market that your school typcially places well in but then ask to actually practice in a different city after you recieved an offer?
bump

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Wed May 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 1:22 pm

I know two people who pulled this off with two different V20s. That said, YMMV.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 4:22 pm

Four of my friends have done this: one at my firm and three at other firms. I think it mostly depends on your firm's offer policy. Some hire firm-wide and give you an offer to join the firm and some hire each office individually and give you an offer to join the particular office. Everyone who requested changes after getting their permanent offer worked at firms that hire firm-wide and not just for a particular office or practice group.

If you have a good reason for requesting a transfer, I'd say do it after you get your offer. But I would caution you to do it only once...I know several people who have flip flopped between offices and I can't imagine it makes a good impression (even though their firms grant their ever-changing requests)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”