Fed Background Check

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Fed Background Check

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi All,
I'm supposed to start my 1L Fed Gov/USAO internship next weekend and I still haven't passed the background check. I'm a few years out of college and have lived in several places (including abroad), traveled a lot, a worked a few different jobs. I don't think there is anything problematic in my background, although I did seek treatment for depression several years ago. I submitted my paperwork on time. Is this kind of delay normal, or should I be worried? Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fed Background Check

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 2:31 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fed Background Check

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 1:26 pm

someones gettin scared......... :oops:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fed Background Check

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 5:46 pm

When did you submit everything? In a different year, started my process in mid-February and received a letter the last week of May. If there were issues, you would have gotten a phone call.

They do take forever.... mine was faster than normal. Also depends on the level.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fed Background Check

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 10:09 pm

I worked for a federal judge last summer, and I technically didn't even have to submit for the background check until my first day on the job, so of course I was allowed to work there for some time before the results came back. I never even heard the results, but I presumably passed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fed Background Check

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I worked for a federal judge last summer, and I technically didn't even have to submit for the background check until my first day on the job, so of course I was allowed to work there for some time before the results came back. I never even heard the results, but I presumably passed.


I presumably won the lottery too. Point?

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Fed Background Check

Postby dowu » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I worked for a federal judge last summer, and I technically didn't even have to submit for the background check until my first day on the job, so of course I was allowed to work there for some time before the results came back. I never even heard the results, but I presumably passed.


I presumably won the lottery too. Point?


He presumably passed the background check because he got the job and worked through it with no interruptions/further questions asked about his background.

Can you see the difference?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fed Background Check

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:33 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I worked for a federal judge last summer, and I technically didn't even have to submit for the background check until my first day on the job, so of course I was allowed to work there for some time before the results came back. I never even heard the results, but I presumably passed.


I presumably won the lottery too. Point?[/quote]

He presumably passed the background check because he got the job and worked through it with no interruptions/further questions asked about his background.

Can you see the difference?



When being a douchebag goes wrong!
Unless you are currently receiving regular payments from the state lottery board when you don't recall winning, then no, you didn't presumably win the lottery.

I fear, s/he does not see the difference.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Fed Background Check

Postby dowu » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
When being a douchebag goes wrong!
Unless you are currently receiving regular payments from the state lottery board when you don't recall winning, then no, you didn't presumably win the lottery.

I fear, s/he does not see the difference.


I say the mods out this person for being an asshole ITT.

tigyrgrl
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 9:13 am

Re: Fed Background Check

Postby tigyrgrl » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:09 pm

There are certain times of year where federal background checks get back logged. April- July is one of the big times for renewals of security clearances for military, and it can back log the system. It is a small flaw in the system because there really aren't enough people working to get them pushed through.

Some things I have been told can slow down, but not ruin a background check: more than 3 moves in 5 years, more than 90,000 dollars in student loans, individuals who share an address with you having run ins with the law (typically more of an issue when it is a spouse or child), poor credit history, recent hospitalizations for suicidal tendencies (depression can be factored in but they are looking for the violent stuff a lot of times), and failing to receive a gun permit that has previously been applied for.

I'm sure there are hundreds of other things, but as long as you are honest it is really out of your hands.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.