CA vs. NY Legal Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
igo2northwestern

CA vs. NY Legal Market

Postby igo2northwestern » Tue May 29, 2012 2:21 am

Hey everyone,

I just have a few questions about the comparison between the two legal markets - I have visited both, and for now I'd like to put aside weather/culture/etc. because I have already formed opinions about those topics. Please provide insight on the two. Thanks!

- Please comment on the viability of recruiting for litigation and corporate in both CA and NY.
--> I have heard that NY has many more financial services firms, so it's great for corporate work. But I have also heard that CA has a good amount of venture capital and IP corporate work in the Silicon Valley. I am unsure what to make of differences in litigation - generally, is NY a bit weaker for that? Is there a place in the US that's considered the "litigation hub?"
- Please comment on the differences between NorCal and SoCal corporate + litigation work.

Thanks! I'll be doing my own research as well, but I have a few deadlines coming up with regard to diversity fairs. So, I would like to solicit a few perspectives on the above topics before I make some (mildly) important decisions.

Edit: I am a rising 2L and seek a summer associate position during 2013.
Last edited by igo2northwestern on Wed May 30, 2012 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

igo2northwestern

Re: CA vs. NY Legal Market

Postby igo2northwestern » Tue May 29, 2012 11:41 am

igo2northwestern wrote:Hey everyone,

I just have a few questions about the comparison between the two legal markets - I have visited both, and for now I'd like to put aside weather/culture/etc. because I have already formed opinions about those topics. Please provide insight on the two. Thanks!

- Please comment on the viability of recruiting for litigation and corporate in both CA and NY.
--> I have heard that NY has many more financial services firms, so it's great for corporate work. But I have also heard that CA has a good amount of venture capital and IP corporate work in the Silicon Valley. I am unsure what to make of differences in litigation - generally, is NY a bit weaker for that? Is there a place in the US that's considered the "litigation hub?"
- Please comment on the differences between NorCal and SoCal corporate + litigation work.

Thanks! I'll be doing my own research as well, but I have a few deadlines coming up with regard to diversity fairs. So, I would like to solicit a few perspectives on the above topics before I make some (mildly) important decisions.

Bump!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 11:44 am

Others can opine on the CA versus NY corporate distinction. As to your question about the US litigation hub, that would clearly be DC.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Others can opine on the CA versus NY corporate distinction. As to your question about the US litigation hub, that would clearly be DC.

Even then, it's hard to call DC a "litigation hub." There are great litigation practices in just about every major city in the country.

If you're talking APPELLATE litigation, then yes, DC is the place for that.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Tue May 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Others can opine on the CA versus NY corporate distinction. As to your question about the US litigation hub, that would clearly be DC.

People sue each other everywhere, breh.

180.com

Postby 180.com » Tue May 29, 2012 9:53 pm

The following news may change the legal market in both states:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/05/28/ ... ankruptcy/

Hopefully this will not affect the job markets too much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 9:59 pm

what do you mean by "the viability of recruiting"? are you trying to get a job in one of these markets? are you trying to hire new associates/laterals in these markets?

I can't comment on NY because I live and work in SF/SV. There is a lot of IP litigation based out here - the biggest thing in IP lit right now is Apple v. Droid manufacturers and that is being handled largely by SF/SV firms.

Speaking generally, CA is where it's at for big IP litigation and NY is where it's at for big securities/finance litigation. There's, of course, both in both places, as well as employment litigation, consumer class actions, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 11:05 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

People sue each other everywhere, breh.

Yeah... And DC litigation practices represent clients across the country - W&C, Kirkland, Covington, etc. all have massive DC based national litigation practices.

igo2northwestern

Postby igo2northwestern » Wed May 30, 2012 3:54 am

Hmm, thanks everyone for your comments, including those that have reinforced my understanding - really helpful.

igo2northwestern

Postby igo2northwestern » Wed May 30, 2012 3:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:

what do you mean by "the viability of recruiting"? are you trying to get a job in one of these markets? are you trying to hire new associates/laterals in these markets?

Sorry about that! To clarify, I am a rising 2L who is interested in a summer associate position in either CA or NY.

Return to “Legal Employment”