Summer Associate Wanting to Switch to New City

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Associate Wanting to Switch to New City

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 4:57 pm

I posted this in another thread, but wanted to make a separate thread for it. I'm a summer associate at a V30 firm in NYC from a T14 school. I'm starting to think that I'd like to end up in my home market instead of moving to NY. It's a smaller secondary market -- like Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Miami, etc. My summer firm does NOT have an office there.

Any tips for getting a post-graduation job in this market? No 3L OCI firms are recruiting in this market at my school.

How long after (hypothetically) receiving an offer this summer will I have to take it? Should I be mass mailing over the summer, and if so, is there any decent chance of my summer employer finding out?

imchuckbass58

Re: Summer Associate Wanting to Switch to New City

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I posted this in another thread, but wanted to make a separate thread for it. I'm a summer associate at a V30 firm in NYC from a T14 school. I'm starting to think that I'd like to end up in my home market instead of moving to NY. It's a smaller secondary market -- like Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Miami, etc. My summer firm does NOT have an office there.

Any tips for getting a post-graduation job in this market? No 3L OCI firms are recruiting in this market at my school.

How long after (hypothetically) receiving an offer this summer will I have to take it? Should I be mass mailing over the summer, and if so, is there any decent chance of my summer employer finding out?

I imagine you just have to mass mail and leverage any connections you have. Did you spend 1L summer in your home market? That would help sell your story a little, but hopefully you can do it anyways.

Your offer from the NYC firm will be open until November 1st, assuming they follow NALP guidelines.

No idea about how much of a risk you run by mass-mailing during the summer.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon May 28, 2012 6:56 pm

I don't mean to be rude here, but really? You're jumping ship after two weeks?

Maybe try giving it a shot for an entire summer.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:35 pm

If you are absolutely 100% serious, apply to clerkships in your home market (either federal or state appellate) and put off making the decision. That way if you want to go back to your firm in the end, you can, and if you don't want to go back to your firm, a clerkship is a great way to switch since your judge will likely have connections in the home market.

But seriously, don't give up on NYC after a week or two. NYC can take time to get used it.

Return to “Legal Employment”