TTT Transfer OCI Bidding Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jessuf

TTT Transfer OCI Bidding Question

Postby jessuf » Mon May 28, 2012 4:13 pm

So I've been reading various TLS threads on OCI bidding strategy, as well as transfer OCI results, and have no idea how I should be bidding. I am top 1% at TTT, transferring to T14. My only ties are to Florida.

Should I just completely avoid bidding on DC, NYC, Boston, Chicago, SF, LA, etc. and stick to only smaller markets or perhaps my home market? It seems the people in my situation who cracked V100 went to smaller markets only (with a few outliers). I'm really scared about overbidding and having 0 offers.

r6_philly

Re: TTT Transfer OCI Bidding Question

Postby r6_philly » Mon May 28, 2012 4:44 pm

There are not enough options in FL to cover your bid list. I'd focus on FL and NYC (no ties needed). If you are not transferring to a NYC school, then also bid on the new school's home market.

Check with some transfers at your new school from last year to see how they fared with particular firms.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon May 28, 2012 10:44 pm

I would concentrate my bidding on NYC (assuming you are not averse to working there). The smaller markets aren't going to bite unless you have ties to them.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Mon May 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Yeah, what firms to bid is easier to answer if we know what school you are transferring into.

In general, you should probably spread bids around NYC V10 and V50, aiming at larger classes, as well as some smaller firms in your home market, and a couple less selective V100 or non-V firms. Depending on what school you transfer to, there's not many major firms that are unreachable besides Wachtell, W&C, a few other super selective lit boutiques.

For a rule of thumb, treat yourself as an above median student at your new school, but not top 10% or LR.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue May 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Ok, good tips, thanks! Was worried I'd be shut out of NYC too.

Return to “Legal Employment”