1L Summer--What Should I Be Doing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AVBucks4239

1L Summer--What Should I Be Doing?

Postby AVBucks4239 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:31 pm

I just finished 1L and I've worked as a law clerk at a small firm for two weeks now. When I interviewed for this position, I assumed it would be 40 hours per week; however, it turns out that I'm only working 3-4 days per week and have a lot of free time.

That said, I expect to be very busy for 2L fall semester. I'm hoping to get on some type of journal (hopefully LR), I'm working 16/hours per week at the same firm I'm working at this summer, I might TA for my legal writing professor, and I'm obviously also going to go through the OCI process.

Since I have free time now, what should I be doing to prepare for OCI/anything else in 2L? Is there anything I can do this summer to put on my resume (it's almost June)?

Thanks in advance.

blahblewblah

Re: 1L Summer--What Should I Be Doing?

Postby blahblewblah » Mon May 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Three possible things you can be doing-

1. Networking- set up some meetings with alumni from your school who work for firms you are interested in. Ask questions, get to know the firm. Make them your mentor so that during OCI you have someone to advocate for you at the firm (this might be advocating to get you an initial screener interview, if your grades are below par, or advocating for an offer later on). Anything you can do to be proactive will be good to bring up during interviews-- instead of just saying you are interested in the firm, you can show that you are interested enough to have reached out to them during the summer and learn more about the firm. This stuff is easy, and it will often result in free lunches.

2. Nail down your OCI documents- resume, cover letter, and writing sample. Make sure they are flawless.

3. Research firms and start to determine where you would like to be

4. Possibly do some pro bono work- its not going to make or break you, but it is legal experience that you can put on your resume and talk about at interviews.

LWOP

Postby LWOP » Mon May 28, 2012 7:17 pm

I am looking to intern at INTERPOL in France during my first summer.. I figure its something I will never get to do again and it will broaden my Crim law horizons since I want to be a DDA after LS

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Tue May 29, 2012 5:07 am

I'd also recommend researching firms that aren't coming to your school's OCI and figuring out where you want to apply to directly.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks for the responses so far.

What about contacting firms and setting up lunches with people on the recruiting committee?

ruski

Postby ruski » Tue May 29, 2012 10:12 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:Thanks for the responses so far.

What about contacting firms and setting up lunches with people on the recruiting committee?

this seems like a waste as they won't meet with you. you'll have more success with alumni.

i second researching firms. a great way to make yourself stand out in the interview is really make it sound like each firm is THE firm you are really gunning for, and the only way to do that is to really know them inside and out.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:32 am

ruski wrote:

this seems like a waste as they won't meet with you. you'll have more success with alumni.

i second researching firms. a great way to make yourself stand out in the interview is really make it sound like each firm is THE firm you are really gunning for, and the only way to do that is to really know them inside and out.

I had 2 1L OCI interviews and researched the firms pretty well, but didn't know them "inside and out" (got one callback at least). What kinds of details are you referring to? What are good questions to ask?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Go to summer classes and gradute sooner. Duh.

ruski

Postby ruski » Wed May 30, 2012 7:07 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:
ruski wrote:

I had 2 1L OCI interviews and researched the firms pretty well, but didn't know them "inside and out" (got one callback at least). What kinds of details are you referring to? What are good questions to ask?

you can ask a variety of questions based on the firms strengths and what they're known for. i wasnt really referring to having detailed questions to ask though, but more to "peppering" the conversation with details you know about the firm, kind of bringing up the info casually. one example i remember is one firm told me they just opened up an office in south america, and instantly i was like 'oh right in sau paulo' and then asked some follow up question. i think this conveys interest in the firm in the best way. and the only way to do this naturally is to really know the firm (and interviewer) pretty well

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:58 am

ruski wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:
ruski wrote:

you can ask a variety of questions based on the firms strengths and what they're known for. i wasnt really referring to having detailed questions to ask though, but more to "peppering" the conversation with details you know about the firm, kind of bringing up the info casually. one example i remember is one firm told me they just opened up an office in south america, and instantly i was like 'oh right in sau paulo' and then asked some follow up question. i think this conveys interest in the firm in the best way. and the only way to do this naturally is to really know the firm (and interviewer) pretty well

Makes sense. Talking about Jones Day, I presume?

Also, I looked at Jones Day's website (one of the firms I am for sure going to target) and they have 22 alums from my school here at the Cleveland office. Should I be targeting younger associates, associates with practice areas I'm interested in, partners, etc.?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing everything I can this summer to make OCI/2L as easy as possible given the tough circumstances.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Go to summer classes and gradute sooner. Duh.

I can't tell if this is a joke, but this is awful advice and a stupid use of anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:53 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Go to summer classes and gradute sooner. Duh.

I can't tell if this is a joke, but this is awful advice and a stupid use of anon.

Yeah graduating sooner, so dumb........ :roll:

Return to “Legal Employment”