externship in patent heavy docket

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

externship in patent heavy docket

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm a rising 2L at Santa Clara with a strong interest in patent litigation. There are a handful of judges in the Northern District of California who are hiring externs in the Fall semester. I think I have a pretty good shot at landing one of these externships because I have an EE background and I think they might need that. I will apply sometime in July.

I have a EE background and would like to get a clerkship after law school. Preferably on the Federal Circuit. So I have a couple of questions about this:

1) Would an externship with one of these judges increase my chances at a clerkship with the same judges? Does that happen often? What can I do during the externship to communicate my interest in clerking for the same judge? Is that prohibited?

2) Would an externship improve my shot at a Federal Circuit clerkship? I believe I am uniquely qualified with my EE background and Santa Clara JD (very strong emphasis on patent courses/extra-curriculars) and have a very good shot at this.

3) As an extern, would I be drafting orders (claim construction, summary judgment, etc.)? This would be good experience for patent litigation.
Thanks!

r6_philly

Re: externship in patent heavy docket

Postby r6_philly » Mon May 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 2L at Santa Clara with a strong interest in patent litigation. There are a handful of judges in the Northern District of California who are hiring externs in the Fall semester. I think I have a pretty good shot at landing one of these externships because I have an EE background and I think they might need that. I will apply sometime in July.

I have a EE background and would like to get a clerkship after law school. Preferably on the Federal Circuit. So I have a couple of questions about this:

1) Would an externship with one of these judges increase my chances at a clerkship with the same judges? Does that happen often? What can I do during the externship to communicate my interest in clerking for the same judge? Is that prohibited?

It could only help, even if not with the same judge. They could give you great recommendations for clerkship. Some don't hire their interns, so do your research.

2) Would an externship improve my shot at a Federal Circuit clerkship? I believe I am uniquely qualified with my EE background and Santa Clara JD (very strong emphasis on patent courses/extra-curriculars) and have a very good shot at this.

You are not uniquely qualified in the CAFC context because there are way more EE background JD from T10 schools than there are spots on the circuit. And many clerks work for a few years or do a district court clerkship before. So while if you do well in school, a Federal Circuit clerkship may be possible in the future, it isn't likely right out of school. If you clerk for one of the district judges who feed clerks to Federal Circuit judges, your chances will increase a lot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 1:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:You are not uniquely qualified in the CAFC context because there are way more EE background JD from T10 schools than there are spots on the circuit. And many clerks work for a few years or do a district court clerkship before. So while if you do well in school, a Federal Circuit clerkship may be possible in the future, it isn't likely right out of school. If you clerk for one of the district judges who feed clerks to Federal Circuit judges, your chances will increase a lot.

I'm comfortably above median right now but could see myself graduating top of my class (top 10-15%), maybe higher.

Do you think with my EE-background I'm assured of a D.Ct. spot? Especially after the externship? Which will then lead to CAFC?

I'm not sure if you're aware of Santa Clara's patent reputation. It's up there.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon May 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:You are not uniquely qualified in the CAFC context because there are way more EE background JD from T10 schools than there are spots on the circuit. And many clerks work for a few years or do a district court clerkship before. So while if you do well in school, a Federal Circuit clerkship may be possible in the future, it isn't likely right out of school. If you clerk for one of the district judges who feed clerks to Federal Circuit judges, your chances will increase a lot.

I'm comfortably above median right now but could see myself graduating top of my class (top 10-15%), maybe higher.

Do you think with my EE-background I'm assured of a D.Ct. spot? Especially after the externship? Which will then lead to CAFC?

lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 2:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:If you clerk for one of the district judges who feed clerks to Federal Circuit judges, your chances will increase a lot.

who?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon May 28, 2012 2:49 pm

Odd flame.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon May 28, 2012 2:55 pm

fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

lol
Oh, just a little school in Cambridge Santa Clara, perhaps you've heard of it?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon May 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:Odd flame.

The part I don't get is, if Santa Clara EE alums have a magical in with Art III judges, wouldn't OP already know this and not be asking?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 3:26 pm

fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

lol

first, "above median right now but could see myself graduating top of my class (top 10-15%)"
really?

second, "I'm not sure if you're aware of Santa Clara's patent reputation. It's up there."
okay now, i'm thinking this guy is trying to post anon and draw people's attention to this school... in a negative way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:second, "I'm not sure if you're aware of Santa Clara's patent reputation. It's up there."
okay now, i'm thinking this guy is trying to post anon and draw people's attention to this school... in a negative way.

I don't know anything about clerkships, but it actually is well known in the patent field, particularly with patent prosecutors. It has a good location (Silicon Valley) and a part-time program, so lots of very technical attorneys come out of it. Their alumni dominate a lot of the South Bay patent positions. I wish I had access to their alumni network.

Return to “Legal Employment”