3.5 at NYU

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3.5 at NYU

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 11:37 am

I'm probably going to finish somewhere around a 3.5 this year. Two questions, where does this put me in the class and do I pretty much have a shot at most firms in NYC except like Wachtell, S&C, Cravath, Covington, etc.? Interested in tax/corporate at Cleary and Skadden NYC and also Skadden/Latham/GDC/Irell in LA.

thsmthcrmnl

Re: 3.5 at NYU

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Mon May 28, 2012 12:12 pm

Top third. Top quarter. Something like that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Irell is probably out of reach as well, but worth interviewing with. You should get V10 offers in NYC (and at least one of Skadden/Latham/GDC in LA if you have ties), but no guarantees at any particular one of those firms.

Why Cleary and Skadden in particular? They're very different firms in terms of focus of the work and the culture.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Irell is probably out of reach as well, but worth interviewing with. You should get V10 offers in NYC (and at least one of Skadden/Latham/GDC in LA if you have ties), but no guarantees at any particular one of those firms.

Why Cleary and Skadden in particular? They're very different firms in terms of focus of the work and the culture.

OP here: I liked the people I met at both Cleary and Skadden. I tend not to like firms that have an overwhelming single-type culture, especially if its somewhat WASPy and refined (think DPW and Cravath) or overly serious like S&C. When going to 1L events I felt more at ease with firms that are more diverse in personality types where the most important thing is working hard and being good at your job (I got this vibe from Weil, Skadden, STB, Paul Weiss etc.). Cleary does seem to have more of a type, but it meshes with my personality more than other law firms. I'm still trying to learn more about the focus of the work at each firm within specific practice areas, but to my eyes, the distinctions aren't really compelling either way.

Also, for what its worth, will it matter that my grades are kind of disjointed? So far most of my grades have been either really good or not so good with only one falling somewhere in between.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Irell is probably out of reach as well, but worth interviewing with. You should get V10 offers in NYC (and at least one of Skadden/Latham/GDC in LA if you have ties), but no guarantees at any particular one of those firms.

OP here: I liked the people I met at both Cleary and Skadden. I tend not to like firms that have an overwhelming single-type culture, especially if its somewhat WASPy and refined (think DPW and Cravath) or overly serious like S&C. When going to 1L events I felt more at ease with firms that are more diverse in personality types where the most important thing is working hard and being good at your job (I got this vibe from Weil, Skadden, STB, Paul Weiss etc.). Cleary does seem to have more of a type, but it meshes with my personality more than other law firms. I'm still trying to learn more about the focus of the work at each firm within specific practice areas, but to my eyes, the distinctions aren't really compelling either way.

Also, for what its worth, will it matter that my grades are kind of disjointed? So far most of my grades have been either really good or not so good with only one falling somewhere in between.

The receptions are not the best indicator of firm type, unfortunately. The people I know at DPW don't fit your definition (although the ones at Cravath do). Weil and Paul Weiss are both quite fratty, as are many groups at Cleary. Skadden has some fratty types, some gunner types, but is quite different from the others. I think you'll have a shot at multiple V10, but you should try to reach out to alums to find out more about firms because receptions just aren't the best way to figure it out. Firms have clear reputations among associates, while they tend to blend together among students.

I'd also try to figure out where your interests lie a bit more. You have some very lit-heavy firms on there (GDC, Irell, Latham to a certain extent), and then you have corporate powerhouses like Cleary and Skadden. Do you have any idea what you want to do? That's something to figure out as well, because culture can vary a lot between corporate and litigation. Figure out what you're interested in, then figure out the culture of that firm's corporate or litigation department.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The receptions are not the best indicator of firm type, unfortunately. The people I know at DPW don't fit your definition (although the ones at Cravath do). Weil and Paul Weiss are both quite fratty, as are many groups at Cleary. Skadden has some fratty types, some gunner types, but is quite different from the others. I think you'll have a shot at multiple V10, but you should try to reach out to alums to find out more about firms because receptions just aren't the best way to figure it out. Firms have clear reputations among associates, while they tend to blend together among students.

I'd also try to figure out where your interests lie a bit more. You have some very lit-heavy firms on there (GDC, Irell, Latham to a certain extent), and then you have corporate powerhouses like Cleary and Skadden. Do you have any idea what you want to do? That's something to figure out as well, because culture can vary a lot between corporate and litigation. Figure out what you're interested in, then figure out the culture of that firm's corporate or litigation department.

Whoops, didn't mean to post anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah these aren't all based on firm events, or at least not based on massive 1L receptions. Part of my read comes from talking to friends who are associates at these firms (I've been out of school long enough to have friends who went straight-through working in biglaw now). Mostly I want corporate (perhaps tax), which is why in NYC I want the more corporate heavy firms, but I also am seriously considering LA, which as a legal market is far more litigation focused. Looking at NALP, I couldn't really find any firm with a larger corporate practice than a litigation practice, and I focused on Latham/Skadden/GDC since they seemed to have the largest corporate departments. I threw in Irell (which I doubt I will get anyways) because it seemed to have one of the stronger tax departments, they seemed to do a lot of media transactional work, and their office was in Century City as opposed to Downtown.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 6:08 pm

I finished 1L at NYU a tick above 3.5 and got a couple V10 offers and callbacks at around 75% of my screeners. You've got a fighting chance anywhere (except Wachtell, probably? who knows. and Irell? dunno.) and a good shot at ending up somewhere in the Skadden, DPW, STB, Cleary range if you want it.

Keep in mind that grades are only a piece of the puzzle, though. 3.5 isn't shoo-in for the top firms, and those firms will end up taking some people who have lower grades but have other things to offer. It's not easy to predict exactly how this will shake out for any particular person.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Irell is not nearly as grade-conscious as most of the V10 NYC firms. Not sure why people ITT are suggesting otherwise. You might have issues of geographical ties, but your GPA shouldn't hold you back at Irell. They've hired plenty of non-coif people from lower ranked law schools as associates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Irell is not nearly as grade-conscious as most of the V10 NYC firms. Not sure why people ITT are suggesting otherwise. You might have issues of geographical ties, but your GPA shouldn't hold you back at Irell. They've hired plenty of non-coif people from lower ranked law schools as associates.

Yeah good to know. I have decent ties (worked in LA after undergrad for 3+ years, altho WE not anything special for legal hiring purposes). Otherwise, I'm a normal applicant with a few things that make me stand out (don't want to list here since it would identify me, if these posts already haven't) and I enjoy and am good at interviewing. I figured I might just throw in Irell at the bottom of my bidlist since I doubt there will be many people trying to get it. I thought about MTO too, but I think that is way too much of a reach, I don't really want to clerk, and I fear getting no-offered since they do that.

Also, does anyone know about where to bid LA firms? There aren't many slots, but I don't think there are that many people trying to go there, how low can I bid them and be safe?

Return to “Legal Employment”