Continuing working as a clerk during my year off?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Continuing working as a clerk during my year off?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 27, 2012 1:29 pm

I am posting anonymous because a few people from my firm like to browse TLS.

I am about to graduate UG and have been working as a clerk in Atlanta for the past year. I am taking a year off before law school (wasn't really by choice) and would really like to work in a law firm back at Ohio, where I am from. This way I could live with my parents and save some money. Unfortunately, I doubt I can find a job in a firm since jobs are so scare. With that being said, do you think the work experience is worth not saving more for law school or should I just try to find a menial job at home (work experience worth as in finding a job, the ultimate end game. I'm pretty set on getting into the schools I am looking at)?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 27, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotMyRealName09

Re: Continuing working as a clerk during my year off?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun May 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Working as a "clerk" (I'm assuming you mean a file clerk, because you didn't say paralegal) prior to lawschool will have minimal, if any, impact on whether you get hired for legal employment during or after law school.

In my view, even prior work as a paralegal, while relevant, is so different from being a lawyer that it too isn't as important as simply having good grades during law school and relevant, substantive legal internships / work experience while in lawschool.

Paralegals are to lawyers what nurses are to doctors - they know the mechanics behind making the practice function, but they don't know the theory or the why behind why certain things need to be done the way they are.

Make as much money as possible before you go to law school. Experience as a clerk probably won't make or break any legal job you apply for - it won't hurt, but I doubt it would help either.

Anonymous User

Re: Continuing working as a clerk during my year off?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 27, 2012 3:08 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Working as a "clerk" (I'm assuming you mean a file clerk, because you didn't say paralegal) prior to lawschool will have minimal, if any, impact on whether you get hired for legal employment during or after law school.

In my view, even prior work as a paralegal, while relevant, is so different from being a lawyer that it too isn't as important as simply having good grades during law school and relevant, substantive legal internships / work experience while in lawschool.

Paralegals are to lawyers what nurses are to doctors - they know the mechanics behind making the practice function, but they don't know the theory or the why behind why certain things need to be done the way they are.

Make as much money as possible before you go to law school. Experience as a clerk probably won't make or break any legal job you apply for - it won't hurt, but I doubt it would help either.

Thanks for the advice. I am technically an admin clerk. I draft a lot of pleadings and correspondence but that is about the extent of my work. It probably won't make or break an job opportunities in the future like you mentioned.

Return to “Legal Employment”