Worried Columbia 2L Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
swc65

Silver

Re: Worried Columbia 2L

Post by swc65 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
swc65 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
swc65 wrote:it only applied to one semester? so even within the same class year, your grades from one semester aren't comparable to the grades from the previous semester? That just sounds odd.
that's the way I understood it too. While it will dilute good grades, I'm inclined to think it will be a net gain for the class. Employers will see some slice of the class, and on average they will think that are just seeing a higher quality slice than in previous years. Obviously this is predicated on the idea that they don't know about the new curve. Am I incorrect in this assessment?

I think the idea was to keep it secret. They will find out. If they do, they may not trust anyone's grades and it may hurt the class as a whole. I doubt employers are just going to think that they are getting a crop of higher quality students in one year, especially the employers who interview half of the class.
all good points. Hopefully they don't figure it out for 12 more weeks, lol. Also, fair to say that employers who interview 20-40 might be duped?

I doubt it. It is surprising how much recruiters talk to each other. Especially at the top, recruiters for big firms are pretty well plugged in. Word will probably spread easily. On the other hand, it may be that no one really cares.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:27 am

would i be in play at places like:
Latham
Kirkland
Gibson

and what about
Milbank
Ropes & Gray
Paul Hastings

do I bid firms that I really want higher? or firms that are more selective higher?

edit: all NYC offices

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:16 pm

What is the best way to be prepared for mass mailing? When should you start mailing? Other than what I've heard from TLS, I know nothing about that process. My CLS career counselor told me I probably don't need to worry about that (I have a 3.3), but I'd prefer to play it on the safe side.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the best way to be prepared for mass mailing? When should you start mailing? Other than what I've heard from TLS, I know nothing about that process. My CLS career counselor told me I probably don't need to worry about that (I have a 3.3), but I'd prefer to play it on the safe side.
Don't listen to OCS. They are concerned with getting the most employers and students to EIP as possible. Extra-EIP job search doesn't jive with that, but it's better for you to do mass mailing etc. I started mailing already, but it seems like it's still a little early. Maybe after you hear about journals (if you applied). Also, it depends on the market. If you're going to be visiting a certain market, I would mail ASAP so they have enough time to evaluate you and plan for your time frame.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”