2L Summer at IRS

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Summer at IRS

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 1:10 am

Hi, all -
I'll be starting at the IRS in DC soon and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I definitely want to work in tax.. I guess general Federal Gov't advice would come into play here and I'll definitely search for that but if anyone has some insight to share I'd be very appreciative. Thanks!

anonymcoffee

Re: 2L Summer at IRS

Postby anonymcoffee » Thu May 24, 2012 9:16 am

i started a thread similar to the "tips for SA" but not a lot of people responded, however there's some good advice in there. I know people did split summers with DOJ and other big fed. agencies so hopefully more people help out with advice

SPE155

Postby SPE155 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:27 am

Don't want to really change the subject, but I'm a 0L who intends to pursue tax as well.

I've looked at the IRS for future SA and am curious if one is better off pursuing a summer with IRS or a firm. Which will better position you for future tax law jobs in the private sector?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 10:18 am

SPE155 wrote:Don't want to really change the subject, but I'm a 0L who intends to pursue tax as well.

I've looked at the IRS for future SA and am curious if one is better off pursuing a summer with IRS or a firm. Which will better position you for future tax law jobs in the private sector?

OP here - I think the consensus is if you want firms, get a summer position at a firm. While I'm thrilled to have this job for the summer it isn't vesting like summer associate positions are.

The value is more experiential and "networking" I guess - I can update this thread as the summer progresses if people are curious about this. BUT SPE I will say that if you want private sector work in the private sector your 2L year if you can.

SPE155

Postby SPE155 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:07 pm

Thanks for the advice. Definately let us know how the summer goes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Had my first day today - sat in on a couple of meetings about the projects I'll be working on. I get the sense that IRS (and probably most agencies) are way understaffed so they need us to do substantive work. The people I have met are hilarious and friendly and the best part.. I can be on whatever schedule I want! I'm going to do 7:30 to 4:00 I think to avoid both morning and evening rush hour.

Things that suck - typical things you'd expect from big fed. I had to go to two different buildings to get an ID card, and then a separate access card for our building and offices. My gov't computer isn't in yet so I can't get down to serious business for a couple of days, but based on my (very) limited experience I think it's going to be a great time.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Tue May 29, 2012 10:35 pm

gotta love big fed haha had the same experience with the background check, ID, login - took about a week to get everything set up.

I'm also getting lots of substantive assignments. Did you get your own office, cubicle, are you in an open room? I'm finding that my agency is trying out new work-space scenarios

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:51 pm

You got a gig at the IRS for 2L - that is generally harder than getting even a SA. I am sure you are smart and capable, and will do just fine this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had my first day today - sat in on a couple of meetings about the projects I'll be working on. I get the sense that IRS (and probably most agencies) are way understaffed so they need us to do substantive work. The people I have met are hilarious and friendly and the best part.. I can be on whatever schedule I want! I'm going to do 7:30 to 4:00 I think to avoid both morning and evening rush hour.

Things that suck - typical things you'd expect from big fed. I had to go to two different buildings to get an ID card, and then a separate access card for our building and offices. My gov't computer isn't in yet so I can't get down to serious business for a couple of days, but based on my (very) limited experience I think it's going to be a great time.

I'm a 1L, started at the IRS today and had a similar experience. Although I finally got my computer up and running by noon, my phone still doesn't even have a cable... or anywhere to plug it in to. Haha.

I get the same feeling about being understaffed. I've already started looking at some real work (and I do mean real work). I think this summer should be pretty good experience.

SPE155

Postby SPE155 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had my first day today - sat in on a couple of meetings about the projects I'll be working on. I get the sense that IRS (and probably most agencies) are way understaffed so they need us to do substantive work. The people I have met are hilarious and friendly and the best part.. I can be on whatever schedule I want! I'm going to do 7:30 to 4:00 I think to avoid both morning and evening rush hour.

I'm a 1L, started at the IRS today and had a similar experience. Although I finally got my computer up and running by noon, my phone still doesn't even have a cable... or anywhere to plug it in to. Haha.

I get the same feeling about being understaffed. I've already started looking at some real work (and I do mean real work). I think this summer should be pretty good experience.

Just curious what process you went through to get the summer position with IRS as a 1L. Can you elaborate a bit for me? Its something I think would be great if I could get experience like this as a 1L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:55 pm

SPE155 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just curious what process you went through to get the summer position with IRS as a 1L. Can you elaborate a bit for me? Its something I think would be great if I could get experience like this as a 1L.

Sure, it's called something like their Summer Legal Externship Program. Something like that. Basically I applied through their website and gave my preferences. Then your app gets put into some system where different offices can look at it. I got a call from both the main office in DC and a field office in DC. I have some experience in tax and accounting, but not terribly extensive and I'm at CCN. Hopefully that's some info you can find helpful. Feel free to ask other questions and I can PM you if you would like.

SPE155

Postby SPE155 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
SPE155 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sure, it's called something like their Summer Legal Externship Program. Something like that. Basically I applied through their website and gave my preferences. Then your app gets put into some system where different offices can look at it. I got a call from both the main office in DC and a field office in DC. I have some experience in tax and accounting, but not terribly extensive and I'm at CCN. Hopefully that's some info you can find helpful. Feel free to ask other questions and I can PM you if you would like.

Yeah, a PM would be great. Can you tell me a little more about how competitive you were for the position (top 10%, 30%, median, etc.)? I'll be starting at W&L this fall, planning on focusing in tax. I also have some accounting experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:55 pm

I wasnt aware of any CCN students in the main office of the IRS this summer. Are you in the paid Summer Legal Internship Program or an extern?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wasnt aware of any CCN students in the main office of the IRS this summer. Are you in the paid Summer Legal Internship Program or an extern?

I'm an extern.

Return to “Legal Employment”