2.15 GPA from a T4-screwed? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RVP11

Gold

Re: 2.15 GPA from a T4-screwed?

Post by RVP11 » Sun May 27, 2012 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote: If T4 = top 4 law school, apply to smaller markets. Especially ones you have ties to. If you grew up in Omaha, I'm sure every Omaha firm would be stoked to have a Columbia grad, even if they have terrible grades.
LOL no. At any T14, a 2.15 would be an epic low GPA - so low, in fact, that they probably wouldn't let you graduate, and you would have the lowest ever GPA if you did graduate.

And secondary and tertiary market firms are generally pickier on grades than generic lower V50/V100 firms in New York.
2.0 to graduate. All it takes. Not all schools artificially raised grades retroactively a few terms back just for fun.
What are you talking about?

Some schools require a 2.3 (or higher) to graduate. I don't know what that has to do with "artificially" or "retroactively" raising grades.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun May 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote: If T4 = top 4 law school, apply to smaller markets. Especially ones you have ties to. If you grew up in Omaha, I'm sure every Omaha firm would be stoked to have a Columbia grad, even if they have terrible grades.
LOL no. At any T14, a 2.15 would be an epic low GPA - so low, in fact, that they probably wouldn't let you graduate, and you would have the lowest ever GPA if you did graduate.

And secondary and tertiary market firms are generally pickier on grades than generic lower V50/V100 firms in New York.
2.0 to graduate. All it takes. Not all schools artificially raised grades retroactively a few terms back just for fun.
lolololol

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Wed May 30, 2012 1:49 am

Total Litigator wrote:
kapachino wrote:Two of my favorite profs at my undergrad were JDs who went by "Dr." when they taught. One was an HLS grad who decided to teach poli sci, and the other was general counsel for the university.
I will bet good money that they had PhD's.

I'm willing to bet that you don't. :p They only had JDs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 1:22 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Some schools require a 2.3 (or higher) to graduate. I don't know what that has to do with "artificially" or "retroactively" raising grades.
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/03/loyola-l ... es-grades/
not the only one either.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
not the only one either.
Everyone knows about Loyola. What I want to know is WTF that has to do with what I originally said.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:55 pm

If you are too dumb to figure that out on your own, no one can help you anyways. Quit and go to B-school. I need coffee.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Reprisal wrote:
mrman17 wrote:The problem is that law is not an industry that heavily encourages self-promotion
lmao

Actually this is 100% spot on. It's almost verbatim language of an appellate court decision regarding this very matter.
The only reason many US lawyers don't use the term "Dr." is because based on the OLD rules of professional ethics and lawyer advertising it was deemed to be self-promotion and likely to confuse potential clients as to the lawyers qualifications.

However, with the new rules on lawyer advertising it has become quite acceptable for a law school graduate to use the term Dr. if he/she so chooses. The biggest caveat, as someone mentioned, is when the word Dr. is used for a lawyer that handles medical malpractice-or a situation where a prospective client may be led to believe the lawyer possess medical education.

Clearly, those of you "LOLing" have yet to master the Rules of Professional Responsibility, and clearly have never actually practiced. Don't go solely by information you get on TLS--99.99% of the people on this board don't have a single day of qualified legal experience, let alone enough real-world experience to justify dolling out advice based on the legal profession as a whole.
---off topic rant over----

If you've got a C- overall GPA from a crappy school you're in a terrible position. If you've got a C- GPA as a 3L and perhaps a 3.0 or better as a 1L and 2L then you're in a slightly less crappy situation.
But I think it's safe to say the law firm life is not going to be in your future.
High quality government work (PD/DA/AUSA) is probably out as well.
Public interest work may focus slightly less on GPA but they do rely heavily on your background and commitment to do that type of work. If you're just now realizing as a 3L that you don't have the credentials to make it in corporate America most public interest jobs are not going to let you just fall back into their type of work. That's not to say you can't apply, but in many areas any public interest job worth taking is actually fairly competitive.

Perhaps you should consider looking into jobs that require a 4 year degree but deal with compliance, or require contracts or negotiations. Your legal knowledge could be helpful but is not necessary. Many large corporations have legal affairs department that offer positions for people that are not lawyers. You may have a slight leg up over people that only have a 4 year degree.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:18 pm

I don't know if this OP is serious, but I actually suspect there are a bunch of people in the OP's position. I mean, in all seriousness, if you're clueless enough to go to a T4, you could end up just going through LS without ever applying for jobs until after graduation. That's what everyone at my UG did.

Someone in the OP's position should probably try to seek out a paralegal job at a large firm; these can start in the $40-$50K range and end up in the $60-75K range (or higher, rarely) by mid-career, and they typically hire B.A.s in poli sci shitheadery.

Otherwise, there are numerous mid-level jobs in sales and HR (the latter if you're a chick) that will hire JDs--the oft-touted discrimination against JDs (on the basis that they're just waiting to get legal jobs) for these spots doesn't really apply to unsophisticated companies at all, and the fact is that a substantial portion of JDs in America are working outside the legal industry.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:38 pm

Reminder: do not insult people from the cover of anonymity.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=170603
The anonymous feature is not meant to be used as a shield for voicing unpopular opinions, demeaning others, sock puppetry, or otherwise being a jerk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:32 pm

jurisx wrote:If you are too dumb to figure that out on your own, no one can help you anyways. Quit and go to B-school. I need coffee.
You're being a dick and an idiot. RVP11 was responding to a post that was giving an answer based on if OP had meant top 4 school. In RVP's response he said that having OP's GPA at a t14 would mean he would have a ridiculously low GPA, prob not high enough to graduate. Whoever brought up GPA inflation and loyola were bringing up tangential points. If you go to a T14 (or know of a T14) where a 2.15 could graduate or not be a ridiculously low GPA, then that would be relevant. Stop being such an awful poster.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:36 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

you say "everyone knows about them a few posts down but here you say you don't know of any? Which is it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:37 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
not the only one either.
Everyone knows about Loyola. What I want to know is WTF that has to do with what I originally said.
Refer to your other post. You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
not the only one either.
Your posts show such a strong grasp of what was previously said. Btw, when did loyola become a t14 school? That's such great news for the school!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
not the only one either.
Your posts show such a strong grasp of what was previously said. Btw, when did loyola become a t14 school? That's such great news for the school!!
No one said it was. Seperate issue. I also didn't say it was a donkey. Point?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
No one said it was. Seperate issue. I also didn't say it was a donkey. Point?
You really can't understand this? RVP explicitly said "T14" in his original post and was responding to a response of another poster that was treating T4 to mean top 4.

Also-stop abusing anon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:58 pm

I am the OP, you don't know what I meant at all so stop acting like it.

4th Tier. I meant that.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am the OP, you don't know what I meant at all so stop acting like it.

4th Tier. I meant that.
Dear god. There was a tangent conversation about what would be the situation if you were at a top 4 school. RVP was pointing out a problem with thinking you went to a top 4 school. Most people in this thread properly assumed you went to a TTTT. You're derailing your own thread by misconstruing a response and trying to argue about it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:36 pm

What a twist! The idiotic anonymous poster is someone who has a pitiful GPA from a fourth tier law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:59 pm

RVP11 wrote:What a twist! The idiotic anonymous poster is someone who has a pitiful GPA from a fourth tier law school.
No twist. Said it to begin with. Whole point of the thread. If you just figured it out now, congrats. You are even dumber than the 4th Tier low GPA student. Congrats.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:What a twist! The idiotic anonymous poster is someone who has a pitiful GPA from a fourth tier law school.
No twist. Said it to begin with. Whole point of the thread. If you just figured it out now, congrats. You are even dumber than the 4th Tier low GPA student. Congrats.
Your options outside the law will be more attractive than inside it. Which shouldn't make you feel like a failure: lots of JD holders work in non-law jobs.

As it stands, your odds of a good legal career are slim. If you're really "into" being a lawyer, then apply to a bunch of ID and PI firms after you pass the bar in whatever state you want to live in. If you think you could get really "into" being a prosecutor/PD, then start interning at said PD/prosecutor's office and working a side job (this could seriously be waitressing or delivering pizzas), and there's a good chance you can land one in good time.

Good luck, dude!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”