2.15 GPA from a T4-screwed?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2.15 GPA from a T4-screwed?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Anyone know anyplace desperate enough to hire me in as a summer intern with a 2.15 from a T4? (3L so too late to quit)

Options, suggestions, idea, prayers?

Anonymous User

Re: 2.15 GPA from a T4-screwed?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anyplace desperate enough to hire me in as a summer intern with a 2.15 from a T4? (3L so too late to quit)

Options, suggestions, idea, prayers?

I'm no doctor or anything, but that looks bad.

What area are you located in?

JohnDorian

Postby JohnDorian » Wed May 23, 2012 12:32 pm

-
Last edited by JohnDorian on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Wed May 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 23, 2012 12:46 pm

lol @ your sunk cost fallacy in the first poast

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed May 23, 2012 12:47 pm

rad lulz wrote:lol @ your sunk cost fallacy in the first poast

word

top30man

Postby top30man » Wed May 23, 2012 12:55 pm

A 3L with a 2.X gpa at a TTTT that is just now starting the job search? This is hard to believe.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:06 pm

If you don't mind me asking how is your gpa 2.1? Is it a couple really bad grades like 3 C or D's or more of a pattern? i.e. you did bad in all of your classes. Also, public interest jobs care a lot less about GPA and more about your commitment to the field.

mrman17

Postby mrman17 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:30 pm

I would suggest that you keep your mind open to employment possibilities outside of law. With the economy the way that it is, plus the fact that new graduates are also competing with experienced attorneys who were laid off during the great recession, many many law graduates with better grades than yours will have a hard time finding legal careers. That includes many of the people posting in this forum who think that their situation is so much better than yours. However, don't despair. There are government entities and many businesses that would love to hire someone who could grind it out to earn a doctorate degree in law school. When interviewing, focus on the analytical skills that you have acquired in law school.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:33 pm

newyorker88 wrote:If you don't mind me asking how is your gpa 2.1? Is it a couple really bad grades like 3 C or D's or more of a pattern? i.e. you did bad in all of your classes. Also, public interest jobs care a lot less about GPA and more about your commitment to the field.

Yea, but as a 3L if he doesn't have a public interest oriented resume by now then it's too late.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 23, 2012 2:50 pm

mrman17 wrote:There are government entities and many businesses that would love to hire someone who could grind it out to earn a doctorate degree in law school.

It's farcical to compare American legal education to an actual doctorate.

mrman17

Postby mrman17 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:57 pm

rad lulz wrote:
mrman17 wrote:There are government entities and many businesses that would love to hire someone who could grind it out to earn a doctorate degree in law school.

How so? A Juris Doctorate is a professional doctorate degree akin to an MD or a DDS. It may not require a thesis, but that's typical of most professional doctorates. A juris doctorate IS an actual doctorate, and JD's can even go by the title of "Doctor" in some states. There's nothing "farcical" about that.

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/arti ... ctors_too/

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:59 pm

mrman17 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

How so? A Juris Doctorate is a professional doctorate degree akin to an MD or a DDS. It may not require a thesis, but that's typical of most professional doctorates. A juris doctorate IS an actual doctorate, and JD's can even go by the title of "Doctor" in some states. There's nothing "farcical" about that.

Lol if some attorney is actually going by "Dr." in some state.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:07 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
mrman17 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

mrman17

Postby mrman17 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:16 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
mrman17 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Yeah, I've heard of a couple lawyers using the prefix. The problem is that law is not an industry that heavily encourages self-promotion, and the title also confuses potential personal injury clients into thinking that an attorney has more expertise than they actually do (especially medical issues).

I'm not planning on ever using the title....it's too pretentious...with the possible exception for buying plane tickets online and the airline asks for a prefix. That type of situation could lead to some nice perks- like free upgrades,etc.

Postby 071816 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:19 pm

mrman17 wrote:Juris Doctorate

Reprisal

Postby Reprisal » Wed May 23, 2012 5:52 pm

mrman17 wrote:The problem is that law is not an industry that heavily encourages self-promotion

lmao

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed May 23, 2012 6:10 pm

Reprisal wrote:
mrman17 wrote:The problem is that law is not an industry that heavily encourages self-promotion

lmao

Hahaha. Especially bad considering he posted this on TLS.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed May 23, 2012 7:31 pm

mrman17 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Jesus fucking christ.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Wed May 23, 2012 7:47 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
mrman17 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Two of my favorite profs at my undergrad were JDs who went by "Dr." when they taught. One was an HLS grad who decided to teach poli sci, and the other was general counsel for the university.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:52 pm

Well, considering the word doctor derives from a Latin word meaning "to teach" I'm ok with this. I have no problem with university professors doing this. It becomes lulzy if there is some small or big private firm attorney trying to do this.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed May 23, 2012 8:47 pm

I had a community college business law teacher who was a non-practicing JD from Southwestern and he told us to call him doctor. I was embarrassed for him

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 pm

I will insist that I be addressed as Dr. Kal V. Ano, Esquire.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 10:51 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:If you don't mind me asking how is your gpa 2.1? Is it a couple really bad grades like 3 C or D's or more of a pattern? i.e. you did bad in all of your classes. Also, public interest jobs care a lot less about GPA and more about your commitment to the field.

Yea, but as a 3L if he doesn't have a public interest oriented resume by now then it's too late.

I did school year round so I didn't have time to do so yet. My school requires an externship but most do it last term so they can be "done with law school" and focus on their externship for the last ten credits of their degree, plus an extra 3 credits of bar prep if they are doing their externship close enough to campus to go to that too.

You guys act like you have never heard of that before. It is all I see.

I am mostly concerned with the low GPA since there really isn't any other law schools in my area.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:

I did school year round so I didn't have time to do so yet. My school requires an externship but most do it last term so they can be "done with law school" and focus on their externship for the last ten credits of their degree, plus an extra 3 credits of bar prep if they are doing their externship close enough to campus to go to that too.

You guys act like you have never heard of that before. It is all I see.

I am mostly concerned with the low GPA since there really isn't any other law schools in my area.

I'm not sure what the advice is here. Any place that screens resumes at all (like a posted job opening, a firm or gov't org) won't hire you. Your best bet is to volunteer or offer to work for peanuts with small firms or solos until you can hook up with someone who is actually hiring and doesn't care about your grades.

I second with focusing your job search on non-law jobs. While they have reasons for not hiring JDs, they might be more forgiving with your GPA or not have any point of comparison.

Return to “Legal Employment”