Clean record but still on registry-chances?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clean record but still on registry-chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 7:43 pm

I had a felony as a minor. When I was 17 my girlfriend was 15. I got lucky and it got treated as a juvenile conviction so at 21 it was expunged, but under the current laws I still have to register as a sexoffender.

Since I can prove it was only an age difference issue and is not expunged do I have a chance getting into any law schools? Or do you think the registry issue will ruin all my chances?

Anonymous User

Re: Clean record but still on registry-chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 10:44 pm

No thoughts?

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue May 22, 2012 10:47 pm

Still got a chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 11:03 pm

woeisme wrote:Still got a chance.

Thanks.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:58 pm

Just explain everything in detail. BUT, unfortunately, sex offender registries don't exactly differentiate between the understandable kind of sex offender and the true pervert. This is tough - you can explain and it makes sense, but while explaining you have to walk a line between accepting responsibility for your actions and expressing that you feel your punishment doesn't fit the crime. Just saying that what happened to you isn't fair isn't going to cut it, exactly, you have to accept responsibility.

Your chances aren't ruined, but it is a huge black mark to overcome. You'd probably be better off having multiple DUIs or having served jail time for felony cocaine possession or armed robbery. But there is only one way to find out - so just apply. Frankly, tell them a story about how your experience with the law motivated you to become a lawyer - you want to work for change and justice.

You should note also that even if accepted, being a registered sex offender is going to be an issue with Character and Fitness once you actually pass the bar. I don't know how that is handled. But that's simply going to follow you around forever, and once you start practicing, opposing attorneys are going to find out.

I'm sorry, you've got an uphill battle. It could be done, but Government shit-lists carry quite the stigma.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a felony as a minor. When I was 17 my girlfriend was 15. I got lucky and it got treated as a juvenile conviction so at 21 it was expunged, but under the current laws I still have to register as a sexoffender.

Since I can prove it was only an age difference issue and is not expunged do I have a chance getting into any law schools? Or do you think the registry issue will ruin all my chances?

Your "proof" is simply evidence that you did the exact thing required to be charged with that crime. Don't plead that you were treated unfair - plead that you've accepted responsibility and want to move on with your life, having learned a valuable lesson about strict adherence to the law that you wish to build a career on. Don't minimize it or else it might seem like you learned nothing from the experience.

Good luck, that's a tough conviction - I am sympathetic, and laws drafted that way are unfair because, come on, two highschool kids two or three grades apart leads to a sex offender mark? But thats an issue for the legislators to fix. There is no going back for you, you just have to move forward.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Wed May 23, 2012 2:08 pm

This probably won't keep you out of law school, depending on how you present it, but you should consult a C&F attorney before you apply. It would be horrible to finish law school, but not be able to join the bar, so find out how big of a problem this will be now.

Return to “Legal Employment”