What is the realistic future for someone who graduates in...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is the realistic future for someone who graduates in...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 4:57 am

the bottom 25% of their class at a tier four law school. Be brutally honest, whether you have terrible news (likely) or know of a situation where someone actually ended up ok. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: What is the realistic future for someone who graduates in...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 7:09 am

I am sure somone ended up OK, but really, do you need to ask this question?????

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue May 22, 2012 7:49 am

I would think that depending on your prior experience and interviewing skills, you would be able to get a job in a non-legal field that pays a livable salary and has health insurance. Just apply really broadly. Don't expect to find somewhere that's any better than if you had applied before law school.

If you're in debt, drop out now. Sunk cost fallacy is a fallacy.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 22, 2012 7:56 am

Assuming that that person passes the state bar exam, a legal career as a solo practitioner or in a small firm is a possibility. Practicing as a solo practitioner requires more business skills than legal skills, in my opinion.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Bottom 25% doesn't matter because everyone below top 5% at those schools are equally screwed. It's all about the work experience you've gotten while in school and your ability to network and interview extremely well.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue May 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Might also depend on where you are willing to go to work in the law. Rural Nebraska? Might make it work. NYC market? Maybe not.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Tue May 22, 2012 2:17 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 3:54 pm

Learn how to do personal injury law very well and you'll be OK. My friend's dad went to a non-accredited school in the 70s where you can only sit for the CA bar. He's made a very good life for himself.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 22, 2012 10:22 pm

seatown12 wrote:Bottom 25% doesn't matter because everyone below top 5% at those schools are equally screwed. It's all about the work experience you've gotten while in school and your ability to network and interview extremely well.

I agree with this. Pass the bar, and try to get a job with your other qualities. Try to work at a solo/small practice and gain some experience or consider going solo. I don't really think class rank matters so much after the top 5-10%.

Focus on the bar passage, and professional/client development skills. Be a good salesman and you will be ok.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 2:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:the bottom 25% of their class at a tier four law school. Be brutally honest, whether you have terrible news (likely) or know of a situation where someone actually ended up ok. Thanks in advance.

I know someone who graduated in the bottom 20% from a TTT in a major market in 2009. He passed the bar and got a job helping out with a solo practitioner. He was making 40K a year to start. He actually acquired some decent litigation skills after a couple of years, and got an offer from a small law firm in the same city. The guy he was working for—whose business had increased a lot over the past two years—offered him $100K/yr plus a profit-sharing-bonus thing if he would stay. He stayed with the solo guy, and now, three years out, he makes about $130K a year. He's not rich, but he's doing alright.

I should add that this guy is personable. And, although he was a lazy law student, he writes fairly well.

Good luck.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Wed May 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Do you like law school and "the law?" You are likely going to be doing some type of litigation work at a small shop making very little money. Be prepared to live very frugally.

I think serious consideration should be given to dropping out unless you are on a full ride. An additional $75k+ in debt is simply not worth it. Cut your losses while you still can.

Return to “Legal Employment”