1L Summer Dilemma

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Dilemma

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 10:27 am

I have a paid position this summer working for a firm from home doing research on SEC/FTC stuff. I also interviewed through a program earlier this year (before I got this firm job) that placed me with a state judge, unpaid, in a court that is like one step up from traffic court.

I keep going back and forth about whether or not I should do both because it would look better on my resume or if I should keep the paid job and not work with the judge. The judge told me I would more or less be sitting in on court proceedings- mostly bail hearings- and that any research/writing assignments I had would be something she just made up but had no real need for. I have less than zero interest in criminal law or being in a courtroom.

So I guess my options are:

Work from home all summer, get paid, relax

Work from home plus work for the judge- I would need to pay extra money for gas, parking in the city, and work appropriate wardrobe

Work from home but also do pro bono work- more interesting, better hours, and gets more legal stuff on my resume to replace my crappy retail/foodservice jobs.

Thoughts on what I should do? I know it's bad to say no to a judge, but when I spoke with her she made it very clear that she didn't need me.

dingbat

Re: 1L Summer Dilemma

Postby dingbat » Mon May 21, 2012 10:50 am

How much of a go-getter are you?
I would do work + one of the other two (if you can balance it)

Can't tell you whether you're better off working for a judge (always looks good) or volunteering at a non-profit (varies wildly depending on which non-profit and what you're doing)

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Mon May 21, 2012 11:44 am

Reprisal

Postby Reprisal » Mon May 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Work + Judge

Don't underestimate the power of that line on your re'sume'. Judicial blessing goes a long way, no matter how minor the court.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon May 21, 2012 1:26 pm

dingbat wrote:How much of a go-getter are you?

Can't tell you whether you're better off working for a judge (always looks good) or volunteering at a non-profit (varies wildly depending on which non-profit and what you're doing)

Aren't you a 0L? WTF are you giving advice in the employment forum?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon May 21, 2012 1:29 pm

bdubs wrote:
dingbat wrote:How much of a go-getter are you?

Aren't you a 0L? WTF are you giving advice in the employment forum?

I've got serious career credentials and this is a generic question that requires little specific experience.
Like I said: 2 diverse and applicable jobs on a resume is better than one, if they can be balanced.
If that is wrong, please let me know and I'll be glad to go back to only reading this forum.

Return to “Legal Employment”