Writing Sample

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Writing Sample

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 9:49 am

I applied during the summer for a position at an office. The application required a writing sample, and I turned one in. I got the summer position, but decided to do something else. I'm about to graduate in a year, and now I'm applying again for a full-time position at that same office, and I'm thinking of using the same writing sample. Do you think this would be a good idea? I have other writing samples, but I think/thought this one was good because it dealt with the same subject matter that this office works on, and it has a lot of legal analysis.

My other writing samples include my moot court briefs, work product I've done for other work positions, etc.

Thoughts? Should I use the same one? Hope I was clear enough.

zomginternets

Re: Writing Sample

Postby zomginternets » Mon May 21, 2012 7:01 pm

Was it a 1L summer position or a 2L summer position? If 1L, I would turn in something more recent, otherwise it seems as if you haven't done any legal writing since (which might be viewed negatively). If 2L... I would still try to turn in something more recent, unless what you submitted was really good.

Anonymous User

Re: Writing Sample

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 8:21 pm

OP: It was for a 2L summer position initially. Thoughts?

Return to “Legal Employment”