SA At Small Firm With Median Grades From T2 Taking Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA At Small Firm With Median Grades From T2 Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 12:18 am

Just what the title says. Been there a couple weeks now, happy to answer any questions people may have. It's a small / medium local firm with a few offices. I'm at one with about 6 attorneys. They mainly do family law, but higher-end family law. Think rich people with large estates and complicated situations. Surprisingly, it doesn't suck.

Veyron

Re: SA At Small Firm With Median Grades From T2 Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Mon May 21, 2012 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just what the title says. Been there a couple weeks now, happy to answer any questions people may have. It's a small / medium local firm with a few offices. I'm at one with about 6 attorneys. They mainly do family law, but higher-end family law. Think rich people with large estates and complicated situations. Surprisingly, it doesn't suck.

Summer associate as in paid about the same as an associate and likely to receive an offer at the end of the summer or do you mean law clerk?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 12:47 am

Paid at about 50% rate from a new associate, which seems to be the going rate for smaller firms around here. They pay about a little shy of $80K to start, and I'm making $750 a week. They don't do SA's every summer, but they do hire from the program when they do, assuming the person is someone they want working there.

Selfridge

Postby Selfridge » Mon May 21, 2012 8:12 pm

What are the hours like (for you and for attorneys)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Not bad. Most attorneys roll in around 9:00 and leave by 5:30 or 6:00. If there is a mediation that could be succesful or trial or hearing the next day, they may stay later. One of the top billers in the firm is on track for around 1800-1850 hours, and that's pretty high. I usually come in at 9:00 and leave between 5:00 and 6:00.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon May 21, 2012 9:28 pm

80 to start is pretty good for a small firm. Any idea what they pay a few years in/how salary is calculated?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 9:42 pm

I believe salary rises on a percentage-based level, and the particular percentage is calculated based on how much money you made for the firm. I don't know the exact percentages, but most of the people there a few years in are driving some pretty nice cars, so it's not bad pay.

I do know that bonuses are paid monthly, not yearly, and it's based on hours billed for the month combined with the amount of outstanding money owed to the firm by your clients. So if you billed 180 hours, that's great, but if it was for clients who owe the firm $25,000 each, then it's not so great.

rinehart27

Postby rinehart27 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:52 pm

how'd you snag the job?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 11:38 pm

rinehart27 wrote:how'd you snag the job?

Mass mail, then I studied up on the firm and nailed the interviews. Grades were a factor, but not the most important thing.

Return to “Legal Employment”