Another Depressed (URM) Law Student Here... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Re: Another Depressed (URM) Law Student Here...

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:01 am

While it is pretty bad out there for those not in T14 and outside the top 20%, you do get a little distorted view on this site since a great many are in the upper echlon academically. There is life besides biglaw and 70% of those who get biglaw won't be there after 3 years. There are many intellectually and financially rewarding jobs at smaller firms. You may start out at a smaller salary but business production prospects are generally better. Chin up and hustle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:45 pm

If it makes you feel better, I graduated from Howard Law, the supposedly mother of big law jobs, top 5% of my class and still did not have a job yet. Makes me really really regret turning down those several top schools. Atleast, you were smart enough not to turn down those schools!!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:If it makes you feel better, I graduated from Howard Law, the supposedly mother of big law jobs, top 5% of my class and still did not have a job yet. Makes me really really regret turning down those several top schools. Atleast, you were smart enough not to turn down those schools!!
Were you top 5% when you graduated or when you were a rising 2L? The difference is significant.

If you were ranked that high as a rising 2L, it was probably your interviewing skills that did you in because top-ranked candidates do well in OCI at Howard. If your grades were not as stellar for OCI but got better during your last two years, pass the bar and apply for jobs then; the market should be a little more welcoming for you.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:07 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If it makes you feel better, I graduated from Howard Law, the supposedly mother of big law jobs, top 5% of my class and still did not have a job yet. Makes me really really regret turning down those several top schools. Atleast, you were smart enough not to turn down those schools!!
Were you top 5% when you graduated or when you were a rising 2L? The difference is significant.

If you were ranked that high as a rising 2L, it was probably your interviewing skills that did you in because top-ranked candidates do well in OCI at Howard. If your grades were not as stellar for OCI but got better during your last two years, pass the bar and apply for jobs then; the market should be a little more welcoming for you.
+1

If you were top 5% at Howard as a rising 2L and you struck out at OCI, you are a TERRIBLE interviewer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just wanted to say keep your head up man. I'm fighting it off too, but I'm only a rising 2L, but I don't like my odds right now. URM as well. At a "T6" sure, but straight Bs does not have me feeling comfortable in the least. I've been feeling like a disappointment pretty much all semester and I just got a B for the first grade back. I know our situations aren't the same but I understand where you're coming from. I'm straight through as well, and never before in my life have I tried hard at something only to be mediocre. Humbling experience to be sure.
I'm right there with you man, URM at a t6, studied my ass off and little to show for it. X2 on the humbling experience, it's hard for me to admit that I really screwed up, I am hoping I can salvage something out of OCI. Stay up man, you aren't the only one out there feeling like you do.
Don't get down on yourself and let it become self-fulfilling due to lack of confidence. Even if there is no URM boost, below median at a T6 isn't a death sentence. I am a URM with mediocre grades at HYS (in the below median, 3rd quartile of the class) and have spent the summer reaching out to current and former recruiters that I know. They seem to all be pretty confident that I will be fine. The key is to put up your best possible performance at OCI/FIP/EIP/etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:38 am

+1 on confidence.

It's contagious and it can influence people because most people don't have true confidence. I'm not talking puffing out your chest and throwing one leg farther out during your stride confidence. I'm talking true, I really believe what I'm saying confidence. That being said, being a jack ass and or saying completely inaccurate things is not confidence. Think about that one thing you are really good at in life and keep thinking about it during the entire conversation. I'm naturally awesome, so it's quite easy for me.

+1 on cover letter and resume. Have a fresh pair of eyes look it over.

I'm wondering what your definition of networking is. I know a lot of people think that networking is rubbing elbows at some mixer and giving someone a resume/business card, all while doing that L shaped finger gun and a wink. Wrong. Networking is developing a relationship with someone. The point of the mixer is to feel out people and to see who you think is worth investing time building a relationship with. After you select people, or they select YOU, you need to cultivate that relationship. After a while, they will do you favors and vice versa. And it's little stuff, man. Like sending a thank you card, an invite to some mixer, having a drink after work to catch up, etc. If I were you, I'd go back through your alumni database (both your UG & law school) and set up informational interviews again.

Most important, and it's been said here already, is don't quit. Don't sit there feeling sorry for yourself. You're alive. You're not overseas getting mortared or ambushed, and you're not starving in a third world (developing nation, to be PC) country. It sucks, but you will find something. Find a job that everyone is "too good for" and do it. Not necessarily doc review, but work in an industry most people dislike for a while - at least to bring money in and to build WE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”