Supreme Court Clerkship v. Intern @ V10-20

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JackDaniels^

Supreme Court Clerkship v. Intern @ V10-20

Postby JackDaniels^ » Wed May 16, 2012 9:13 pm

See topic. People tend to place a lot of value on clerkships to be honest. I am inclined to go for a V10-20 firm as I would like to work as a lawyer, not a judge, after graduation.

Might be a very stupid question, but I am not from the United States, so it is hard for me to value both options.

Thanks

GertrudePerkins

Re: Supreme Court Clerkship v. Intern @ V10-20

Postby GertrudePerkins » Wed May 16, 2012 9:21 pm

I see the topic, but I don't understand it. What are you asking? Do you think clerking and working at a firm are mutually exclusive? My guess is that this is not a choice you will ever face, unless perhaps you're talking about some state supreme court.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed May 16, 2012 9:25 pm

I assume your talking in your home country SC. This has value for academia really. I would clerk.

JackDaniels^

Postby JackDaniels^ » Wed May 16, 2012 9:30 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:I assume your talking in your home country SC. This has value for academia really. I would clerk.

Yes, my apologies for the inconvenience. I am talking about my home country SC (West-Europe)
I know clerking and working at a law firm are not mutually exclusive, but an internship at V10-20 will give me more relevant work experience than a clerkship if I want to work in Biglaw. I cannot do both in the summer obviously.

ninereal

Postby ninereal » Wed May 16, 2012 10:36 pm

If you're trying to practice in the US? Definitely go with the biglaw position. If you want to make it back to your home country eventually? Probably still go with the biglaw position, but it's a slightly closer call.

By the way, excuse my ignorance, but does the term "clerkship" mean the same thing in your country as it does here? Here, it's something you usually do after graduation, and it means you're basically the judge's right-hand man - handling a lot of contact with the parties, drafting opinions, and so forth. For federal courts, they're very highly sought-after and can give you a big boost to your career, especially if you want to work in academia. The timing of a biglaw internship (summer associate) position doesn't usually line up with a clerkship. I think, if you're choosing between the two, you might just mean "Supreme Court internship."

Reprisal

Postby Reprisal » Wed May 16, 2012 10:39 pm

In the immortal words of Thom Yorke

Mobiles working
Mobiles chirping
Take the money and run
Take the money and run
Take the money..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2012 12:56 am