May not even make a secondary journal?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

May not even make a secondary journal?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm just finishing up 1L and I'm currently doing the write-on competition which I've just realized is basically a waste of time.

I've come to the conclusion that I may not make any journals as my grades are not stellar. My overall GPA is slightly lower than the 3.0 most of the journals require. I go to a t2. I believe my grades will be much better this semester but you never know. I always knew LR was a long shot. Basically I'm thinking about dropping out of the competition because it seems pointless if GPA is all they really care about.

Am I totally fucked if I don't make a journal?

What should I focus on to at least improve my resume for hiring in the future?

I'm pretty sure I'm shit out of luck for OCI. I do have a summer employment position with a small firm in the area I'm interested in, and I have a judicial internship for the fall. For the rest of my law school career should I be focusing on doing clinics? Trying to get a lot of experience working during the semester? Biglaw was never really in my sights and it's completely out of reach now anyways.

I don't want to drop out given that I've now invested an entire year and still believe I'm interested in being a lawyer.

FYI I'm on a full scholarship with very low stipulations. I basically have to flunk out to lose it, so that will not happen. I also have zero living expense debt. I'm also an URM if that makes any difference.

acrossthelake

Re: May not even make a secondary journal?

Postby acrossthelake » Wed May 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Just finish. Considering how many ppl drop out, you're fairly far ahead just by finishing.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed May 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm just finishing up 1L and I'm currently doing the write-on competition which I've just realized is basically a waste of time.

I've come to the conclusion that I may not make any journals as my grades are not stellar. My overall GPA is slightly lower than the 3.0 most of the journals require. I go to a t2. I believe my grades will be much better this semester but you never know. I always knew LR was a long shot. Basically I'm thinking about dropping out of the competition because it seems pointless if GPA is all they really care about.

I'm pretty sure I'm shit out of luck for OCI. I do have a summer employment position with a small firm in the area I'm interested in, and I have a judicial internship for the fall. For the rest of my law school career should I be focusing on doing clinics? Trying to get a lot of experience working during the semester? Biglaw was never really in my sights and it's completely out of reach now anyways.

I don't want to drop out given that I've now invested an entire year and still believe I'm interested in being a lawyer.

FYI I'm on a full scholarship with very low stipulations. I basically have to flunk out to lose it, so that will not happen. I also have zero living expense debt. I'm also an URM if that makes any difference.

Might as well do it. I missed grading on to LR by 1/2 a letter grade and then did not accept any journal invites after the competition. It kept me from interviewing with a SMALL number of firms at OCI that really did require journals, but I still had plenty of interviews, CBs etc. I'm starting a biglaw SA in about 2 weeks.

If you don't get a journal, just do moot court and play it off as if you have a litigation interest and are really excited about moot. It wasn't a big deal at all for me and I suspect you'll be fine, too--especially if your grades really did improve this semester. It sounds like you've got a good job for this summer--just network like crazy and start hustling.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed May 16, 2012 9:24 pm

blurbz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm just finishing up 1L and I'm currently doing the write-on competition which I've just realized is basically a waste of time.

Might as well do it. I missed grading on to LR by 1/2 a letter grade and then did not accept any journal invites after the competition. It kept me from interviewing with a SMALL number of firms at OCI that really did require journals, but I still had plenty of interviews, CBs etc. I'm starting a biglaw SA in about 2 weeks.

If you don't get a journal, just do moot court and play it off as if you have a litigation interest and are really excited about moot. It wasn't a big deal at all for me and I suspect you'll be fine, too--especially if your grades really did improve this semester. It sounds like you've got a good job for this summer--just network like crazy and start hustling.

But see, you had grades 1/2 a letter grade away from law review. Your grades probably mattered more than lack of a journal.

OP, it's worth finishing, even if just so you don't have to look back later in life and think "what if?".

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed May 16, 2012 10:06 pm

piccolittle wrote:
blurbz wrote:

But see, you had grades 1/2 a letter grade away from law review. Your grades probably mattered more than lack of a journal.

OP, it's worth finishing, even if just so you don't have to look back later in life and think "what if?".

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like I thought op had a good shot at biglaw, just that LR won't make or break you. If you don't have it, you need to focus on other extra-currics that play well in interview settings.

Return to “Legal Employment”