HATE me Firm SA. What does this mean?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HATE me Firm SA. What does this mean?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Luckily got a V100 1L firm offer from an NYC firm. One week in and I HATE everything about it. I hate the boring work, I hate sitting down all day, I hate having to read boring cases.

If I end up continuing disliking practice would should I do when 2L summer job hunt approaches?

I am really interested in eventually getting into real estate development/management. Anyway my legal degree could land me something in that field?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 16, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julio_El_Chavo

Re: HATE me Firm SA. What does this mean?

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed May 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Luckily got a V100 1L firm offer from an NYC firm. One week in and I HATE everything about it. I hate the boring work, I hate sitting down all day, I hate having to read boring cases.

If I end up continuing disliking practice would should I do when 2L summer job hunt approaches?

Look for a government job.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed May 16, 2012 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Luckily got a V100 1L firm offer from an NYC firm. One week in and I HATE everything about it. I hate the boring work, I hate sitting down all day, I hate having to read boring cases.

I am really interested in eventually getting into real estate development/management. Anyway my legal degree could land me something in that field?

Drop out and do construction.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed May 16, 2012 7:19 pm

So let me get this straight, OP. According to your post history, you're a 1L (just finished 1L) who had this jerb secured no matter what your grades were.
So you're bitching and moaning about a gig people would kill for, and you haven't even done 2L?
What Rayiner said. Quit lawl skool, go into construction. No lie. Absolutely serious.

floggered

Postby floggered » Wed May 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Professional athlete? Lifeguard?

Snape

Postby Snape » Wed May 16, 2012 7:28 pm

OP: Despite the jealous idiots who spend all day on this crap and posted to do construction work, I have a slightly meaningful comment. Obviously stick out the summer and make bank. But remember, SA gigs are menial and boring--they are meant to get your to join their firm, not stress or think too much. What is your goal? If your goal is partner then the boring case law work at the desk is about 25% of your job. The rest will be figuring out how to bring in clients, make bank for the firm, and much more challenging work which should not bore you. And if it does bore you, then you are in the wrong field or not doing it right. Suck it up, enjoy the perks, make some cash, and think about what you want in life-------that will make the smaller steps much easier to grasp and deal with.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Seriously, either drop out or switch it up and look for an ADA or public interest litigating job where you'll be on your feet and doing varied things.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Snape wrote:OP: Despite the jealous idiots who spend all day on this crap and posted to do construction work, I have a slightly meaningful comment. Obviously stick out the summer and make bank. But remember, SA gigs are menial and boring--they are meant to get your to join their firm, not stress or think too much. What is your goal? If your goal is partner then the boring case law work at the desk is about 25% of your job. The rest will be figuring out how to bring in clients, make bank for the firm, and much more challenging work which should not bore you. And if it does bore you, then you are in the wrong field or not doing it right. Suck it up, enjoy the perks, make some cash, and think about what you want in life-------that will make the smaller steps much easier to grasp and deal with.

Appreciate it. The work I have been doing has been insanely difficult (at least imo being a 1L) and it has been rather frustrating.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed May 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Snape wrote:OP: Despite the jealous idiots who spend all day on this crap and posted to do construction work, I have a slightly meaningful comment. Obviously stick out the summer and make bank. But remember, SA gigs are menial and boring--they are meant to get your to join their firm, not stress or think too much. What is your goal? If your goal is partner then the boring case law work at the desk is about 25% of your job. The rest will be figuring out how to bring in clients, make bank for the firm, and much more challenging work which should not bore you. And if it does bore you, then you are in the wrong field or not doing it right. Suck it up, enjoy the perks, make some cash, and think about what you want in life-------that will make the smaller steps much easier to grasp and deal with.

Appreciate it. The work I have been doing has been insanely difficult (at least imo being a 1L) and it has been rather frustrating.

Welcome to big law. Embrace it or quit. Seriously. This is what you signed up for.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hate the boring work, I hate sitting down all day.

Welcome to having a job dude.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed May 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Geist13 wrote:

This. Are you K-JD?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed May 16, 2012 8:43 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Geist13 wrote:

This. Are you K-JD?

Empirical evidence tending to confirm biglaw's high attrition rate.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed May 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Geist13 wrote:

This. Are you K-JD?

Empirical evidence tending to confirm biglaw's high attrition rate.

Can't the K-JDs figure out why exactly do biglaw attorneys deserve to be paid 160k and get billed out at whatever rate?

My assignments are the same variety, but I appreciate that because no one in the client's company wants to or is able to do it, and that's why they pay what they pay to have SAs do it.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed May 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Geist13 wrote:

Took the words out my mouth. Must be K-->JD.

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Wed May 16, 2012 10:53 pm

They probably don't let the SA people get the most interesting work which would also be more complex. Welcome to lower level Biglaw. I have a friend in Biglaw who swears to me his 5 year old daughter could do the work he has.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed May 16, 2012 10:56 pm

roaringeagle wrote:They probably don't let the SA people get the most interesting work which would also be more complex because you know jack shit. Welcome to lower level Biglaw. I have a friend in Biglaw who swears to me his 5 year old daughter could do the work he has.

Seriously. A big part of what mid-levels do is reviewing, overseeing, delegating things like due diligence, summarizing term-sheets, and other low-level work that nonetheless still has to be done. Treat it as an opportunity, not some boring make-work. As the guy reviewing documents or doing the diligence, you are the expert in the facts. Figure out how to use that to help the people you work for, to understand the deal or the litigation, and create the impression that you're ready for bigger challenges.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed May 16, 2012 11:00 pm

rayiner wrote:
roaringeagle wrote:They probably don't let the SA people get the most interesting work which would also be more complex because you know jack shit. Welcome to lower level Biglaw. I have a friend in Biglaw who swears to me his 5 year old daughter could do the work he has.

Seriously. A big part of what mid-levels do is reviewing, overseeing, delegating things like due diligence, summarizing term-sheets, and other low-level work that nonetheless still has to be done. Treat it as an opportunity, not some boring make-work. As the guy reviewing documents or doing the diligence, you are the expert in the facts. Figure out how to use that to help the people you work for, to understand the deal or the litigation, and create the impression that you're ready for bigger challenges.

Credited as FUARK. A senior associate in my group gave me similar advice, and I think it's probably one of the most valuable nuggets for a junior associate.
Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Wed May 16, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed May 16, 2012 11:02 pm

rayiner wrote:

Except OP (or at least I read that as being a post from OP) says the work is already "insanely difficult."

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed May 16, 2012 11:08 pm

good post. everyone on tls is so focused on being an associate. sell your people skills at OCI, and try to find a job as a partner.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed May 16, 2012 11:11 pm

fatduck wrote:

good post. everyone on tls is so focused on being an associate. sell your people skills at OCI, and try to find a job as a partner.

Even if your goal is partner, in the first few years this is not your job. First year associates are not figuring out how to "bring in business." Law firm partners are at the end of the day subject matter experts first, and businessmen second. In the first few years you need to master the technical aspects of lawyering.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed May 16, 2012 11:14 pm

come on, man

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed May 16, 2012 11:20 pm

fatduck wrote:come on, man

I am ashamed that I didn't get that.

Return to “Legal Employment”