Grades affecting the lit/transactional choice / interviewing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Grades affecting the lit/transactional choice / interviewing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 12:11 pm

I had a great 1L fall at a T14, but I now seem to be regressing to top 20% or so. I realize this is still a good position, but my worries are this: I would prefer to do transactional work, but I am K-JD and have no finance experience. I am not concerned with prestige in and of itself, but as I understand it, only the V10 (V20?) have strong transactional practices anyway—and my grades mean that these firms are not necessarily a lock. Obviously, I am going to research firms for interviews, and won’t say that I want to do one type of practice when the firm is largely based around the other. However, will this affect how picky I can be more generally? i.e., should I say in interviews that I am more open to litigation? I also know that grades are not precisely correlated to Vault rankings—just curious if this should affect my strategy at all, and if others have similar experiences.

ruski

Re: Grades affecting the lit/transactional choice / interviewing

Postby ruski » Wed May 16, 2012 1:57 pm

i think if you say corp you will have a better shot. most of the v10 have much larger corporate depts than lit. also it seems that a majority of law students want to do litigation in the beginning. while many switch after the end of the summer, i've noticed its hard to find summers committed to corp from the beginning, so this could help you stand out. interestingly, much of the 3L recruiting this year focused exclusively on corporate, i.e. firms who did do 3L recruiting were explicit they were only hiring for corp

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed May 16, 2012 3:09 pm

ruski wrote:most of the v10 have much larger corporate depts than lit.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=183057&start=75#p5427176

rayiner wrote:The most corporate-heavy firms are New York firms like S&C, Cravath, etc. Even S&C and Skadden NY have only a narrow majority of associates in corporate (~55%). A corporate-heavy firm in Chicago is a place like Kirkland, which has about 40% of associates in corporate. A place like Winston & Strawn is more typical of Chicago big law, at 20% corporate. In DC, corporate practice is the minority. Hogan is the most corporate-heavy at about 30%. Skadden and Gibson are 15%. More typical is Kirkland or Arnold & Porter (~10%). In Atlanta King & Spalding is the most corporate-heavy at 30%. Alston & Bird, the other major firm, is at 20%. In San Fran, Wilson Sonsini is the only really corporate-heavy firm at about 50%. MoFo is about 25%.

It should also be noted that Chicago and New York are really the only places where "corporate practice" means working with big banks in M&A deals or capital markets deals. In the rest of the country, "corporate work" entails advising corporations. Even in a corporate-heavy west coast firm like Wilson Sonsini, where you'll be working on a lot of IPO's, you'll be representing the corporate issuer not the underwriting bank.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed May 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a great 1L fall at a T14, but I now seem to be regressing to top 20% or so. I realize this is still a good position, but my worries are this: I would prefer to do transactional work, but I am K-JD and have no finance experience. I am not concerned with prestige in and of itself, but as I understand it, only the V10 (V20?) have strong transactional practices anyway—and my grades mean that these firms are not necessarily a lock. Obviously, I am going to research firms for interviews, and won’t say that I want to do one type of practice when the firm is largely based around the other. However, will this affect how picky I can be more generally? i.e., should I say in interviews that I am more open to litigation? I also know that grades are not precisely correlated to Vault rankings—just curious if this should affect my strategy at all, and if others have similar experiences.

V20 isn't a lock, but with good interviewing you're competitive at everything in the V10 except WLRK, S&C, and possibly CSM.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 3:37 pm

OP here.

Thanks. But going off of your post that you cited -- do you mean to suggest that I should indicate that I'm more flexible? (Or just that I need to be more flexible because some doors might be closed?) In the end, I'm presuming a lot of people will say they are "leaning towards" one practice or the other in interviews. So what you say won't necessarily drive the hiring decision too much anyway, right?

Also, this is somewhat off my own topic, but I don't want to start another thread: I know the common wisdom is that for NYC, ties don't matter, but if you have strong ones, can they help at all?

Return to “Legal Employment”