Law journal article I am not particularly proud of

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law journal article I am not particularly proud of

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi, I published a law journal article last year that I am not particularly proud of. I wrote it while I was a 1L summer. Thankfully, it got published in a secondary journal at a Tier 3 school. However, I've learned so much since I wrote that article, and I'm not particularly proud. Should I still put it on my resume? Do judges/employers care enough to inquire into more than the title? Is a published article at a tier 3 law school's secondary journal even worth putting? A penny for your thoughts.

liangbinyu

Re: Law journal article I am not particularly proud of

Postby liangbinyu » Tue May 15, 2012 11:49 pm

I think it is good to have in on your resume
Anonymous User wrote:Hi, I published a law journal article last year that I am not particularly proud of. I wrote it while I was a 1L summer. Thankfully, it got published in a secondary journal at a Tier 3 school. However, I've learned so much since I wrote that article, and I'm not particularly proud. Should I still put it on my resume? Do judges/employers care enough to inquire into more than the title? Is a published article at a tier 3 law school's secondary journal even worth putting? A penny for your thoughts.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:04 am

I've seen some pretty bad articles in print. Still, I'd put it on my resume. The chances are better that they will not read it and be impressed, than that they would read it and be unimpressed.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:23 am

(Legal) Publication on your resume in law school is excellent, especially if you're looking to clerk. Be prepared to defend what you wrote on the off chance that the person interviewing you actually read it, but I'd be hard pressed to find a situation where leaving it off would be the right move.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 16, 2012 5:54 am

It should remain on your resume although I'm curious as to what aspect of the article causes you to want to disown it. Although the substance may not coincide with your current thoughts, participating in an edited project is worthwhile. Does the article contain blatant errors in substance or style ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 1:29 pm

what secondary journal/tier 3 school combination?
sometimes the prestige/importance of a journal is not tied to the school.
e.g. cardozo entertainment law journal is quite prestigious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what secondary journal/tier 3 school combination?
sometimes the prestige/importance of a journal is not tied to the school.
e.g. cardozo entertainment law journal is quite prestigious.

No, not it's not. I think I can name, perhaps, 5 prestigious secondary journals. Outside of those journals, you'd be hard pressed to find an author who would turn down a law review (flagship) for a secondary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 2:51 pm

i did not mean secondary journals are better than flagship journals, but there are very good secondary journals.
e.g. IDEA intellectual property journal
fordham journal of international law and the likes
columbia journal of gender & law

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Wed May 16, 2012 5:05 pm

I would, personally, keep it on there. I am in a similar situation, but I've realized that any good academic author will have changed his opinion a few years out from a publication, if not by the time he is done writing it. A better way to phrase your situation is that your academic perspective has changed/been enlightened by further study, not that you think your original stance was dumb. I now think my article was ignorant in many respects, but it is positive to have at least articulated any idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2012 8:42 am

OP here:

Thanks for the advice. I guess I was just a little hesitant to put it on my resume b/c the article's not even on Westlaw. My writing style has gotten better (at least in my opinion!), and I feel like it's not reflected in the article.

Return to “Legal Employment”