SA Social Events: Solo or bring guest?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ofta3184

SA Social Events: Solo or bring guest?

Postby Ofta3184 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:46 pm

So the first SA social event for my firm this summer is a dinner. The invitation is for "you and a guest."

My GF (we've been dating a month) is "loud", to put it nicely haha, and she shoots from the hip, so I'd really prefer to go stag to avoid the risk of making a bad impression. I was wondering if it is normal to go solo to firm events that explicitly invite a guest or would I stick out?

Sorry if this question is really assbergery; im new to this whole corporate social event thing

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Detrox

Re: SA Social Events: Solo or bring guest?

Postby Detrox » Tue May 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Doubt they'd hold it against you for not bringing a guest or else everyone who was single would be at risk. Curious myself as to this question as well though, although from the opposite angle. Is bringing an SO who's younger/still in college going to be a major negative for these things?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue May 15, 2012 4:05 pm

You don't have to bring a guest if you don't want to. I worked two summers at four different firms and never brought a guest even when I was dating someone. With one firm my SO was actually the major reason I was working in the area at all, and I talked about that pretty heavily duringy callbacks as a major reason why I was considering the firm and the area; no one ever asked why she was absent from events and no one ever asked why I didn't bring people to events. I don't think it can hurt you either way (unless your SO does something really stupid [this happened at my 1L summer firm...a fellow clerk's wife was just insane and ended up costing him an offer]).

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue May 15, 2012 4:10 pm

if you think shes gonna be loud and be a liability- dont take her

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue May 15, 2012 4:10 pm

remember these are interviews. Your entire time during the summer is one big, long interview. dont screw up

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed May 16, 2012 9:00 am

What if your date is extremely attractive? Could it hurt your chances of getting an offer if you make everyone else jealous?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Doritos wrote:What if your date is extremely attractive? Could it hurt your chances of getting an offer if you make everyone else jealous?

How did this work out for you, Doritos?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:07 pm

desertlaw wrote:
Doritos wrote:What if your date is extremely attractive? Could it hurt your chances of getting an offer if you make everyone else jealous?

It worked out quite well. Got the offer in my #1 preferred practice area, dog bite.

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:15 pm

You're asking if an event allowing a guest requires a guest? :roll:

worksmart

Postby worksmart » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:33 pm

You definitely aren't required to bring a guest. What if you were single?

FWIW, at my firm, guest = significant other (long term, engaged, or spouse, not someone you just got together with).

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Last edited by Joe Quincy on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2014 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Doritos wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

It worked out quite well. Got the offer in my #1 preferred practice area, dog bite.

Impressive that it took you 9 minutes to reply to a > 1 year old necro.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:02 pm

worksmart wrote:FWIW, at my firm, guest = significant other (long term, engaged, or spouse, not someone you just got together with).

This. If you've thought about marriage (and not just in a first date fantasy sort of way), then okay. Otherwise, probably not. BTW, this plays both ways. Just like bringing a casual date reflects upon your desirability as a future hire, it also sends signals to your boygirlfriend that, if you haven't thought about marriage yet, you might not want to be sending.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:22 pm

2014 wrote:
Doritos wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

Impressive that it took you 9 minutes to reply to a > 1 year old necro.

Especially since, until last week, I didn't post in over a year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:35 pm

northwood wrote:if you think shes gonna be loud and be a liability- dont take her

Go with your gut. Last summer I brought my alcoholic (now-ex) boyfriend to an event and he was rude and loud. He was actually told by someone working at the event (not a firm person THANK GOD, but still) that he'd have to quiet down or be asked to leave. I was embarrassed and really lucky it was an event that took place a week AFTER we all got our offers. Also really happy that I eventually unloaded him :roll:

Return to “Legal Employment”