Staying Fit in Biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SpiteFence

Staying Fit in Biglaw

Postby SpiteFence » Mon May 14, 2012 10:06 am

Sorry if this has been asked before (and if it has I'd appreciate a link), but what do Biglaw associates find works best for them in terms of a workout schedule? Is it better to join a gym near home or near the office? Or I am just kidding myself that a healthy lifestyle is possible and I should just starting popping Lipitor now?

drbarry987

Re: Staying Fit in Biglaw

Postby drbarry987 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:09 am

Just do dilligence/doc review all day--> order chicken/steak + veggies Seamless web on firm's dime after 8pm --> sneak out of the office for hour of Olympic Lifting/CrossFit-->return to the office for moar dilligence/doc review but with a protein rich, healthy meal waiting for you, bro.

Postby 005618502 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:42 am

SpiteFence wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before (and if it has I'd appreciate a link), but what do Biglaw associates find works best for them in terms of a workout schedule? Is it better to join a gym near home or near the office? Or I am just kidding myself that a healthy lifestyle is possible and I should just starting popping Lipitor now?

Most of the Attorneys at the firm I am working at (for a year before LS) go on their lunch hour. Then just eat in their office. I think this is a pretty good routine, sometimes things come up where you cant go (court, trials, meetings, etc.) but most the time you should be okay.

This is a market paying secondary market firm though, dont know about NYC attorney lives

SpiteFence

Postby SpiteFence » Mon May 14, 2012 12:27 pm

I'll be in Chicago, but I'm assuming its not too much different from NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 14, 2012 1:17 pm

If you are a runner or a biker, one good way to get it in is to run/bike to or from the office. I know several biglaw associates who trained for marathons/centuries/whatever doing this. Some of them reasonably competitively (i.e., 2:50ish marathon).

SpiteFence

Postby SpiteFence » Mon May 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are a runner or a biker, one good way to get it in is to run/bike to or from the office. I know several biglaw associates who trained for marathons/centuries/whatever doing this. Some of them reasonably competitively (i.e., 2:50ish marathon).

I've heard of this, and I can't understand how people get to and from the office without wrinkling the hell out of their office clothes. Thankfully I won't have to wear a suit most days, but I don't even know if I would trust myself to fold things nicely enough. And then, what, do they shower in the buildings gym?

legends159

Postby legends159 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:49 pm

go before work. At NYC it seems most people don't start until around 10am. Once you're at work you have no control over your schedule -- but before work the morning is yours.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon May 14, 2012 1:59 pm

I successfully completed a marathon during my first year of big law. My MO was to run home from work every day (about 4 miles) and do a long 10-15 mile run every weekend. A small form fitting backpack worked for my work clothes. I also try to sneak out to the gym (have on across the street) 2-3 times a week during lunch.

anongoodnurse

Postby anongoodnurse » Mon May 14, 2012 2:53 pm

I've heard of this, and I can't understand how people get to and from the office without wrinkling the hell out of their office clothes. Thankfully I won't have to wear a suit most days, but I don't even know if I would trust myself to fold things nicely enough. And then, what, do they shower in the buildings gym?

Morning: You bring a couple of days worth of clothes in on the weekend. Run in and wear them Monday-Tuesday. Cab or drive in on Wednesday with another couple days of clothes. Run before work or at lunch that day. Run in and wear the clothes on Thursday-Friday. Voila.

And yes, many (probably most) big office buildings will have some sort of locker room facilities -- though sometimes not always the nicest. If not, you'll probably need to get a membership at the YMCA, though I've heard that they'll give you a deep discount if all you need is locker room access.

boredatwork

Postby boredatwork » Mon May 14, 2012 3:08 pm

anongoodnurse wrote:

Morning: You bring a couple of days worth of clothes in on the weekend. Run in and wear them Monday-Tuesday. Cab or drive in on Wednesday with another couple days of clothes. Run before work or at lunch that day. Run in and wear the clothes on Thursday-Friday. Voila.

And yes, many (probably most) big office buildings will have some sort of locker room facilities -- though sometimes not always the nicest. If not, you'll probably need to get a membership at the YMCA, though I've heard that they'll give you a deep discount if all you need is locker room access.

The Gym's in big cities cater to professionals. The one by my office has lockers long enough to hang a suit as well as a steam machine for getting out those wrinkles. If that isn't enough for ya there is a 1 hour laundry across the hall. Not a problem.

mrs_featherbottom

Postby mrs_featherbottom » Mon May 14, 2012 4:46 pm

Last edited by mrs_featherbottom on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Mon May 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are a runner or a biker, one good way to get it in is to run/bike to or from the office. I know several biglaw associates who trained for marathons/centuries/whatever doing this. Some of them reasonably competitively (i.e., 2:50ish marathon).

Is there a shower in the office? Im confused how running in is possible without looking like shit all day.

anongoodnurse

Postby anongoodnurse » Mon May 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Is there a shower in the office? Im confused how running in is possible without looking like shit all day.

Again, many of the bigger office buildings have locker facilities. (For example, all four of the buildings I've worked in do -- though one was smaller and probably an anomaly.) You take in a few days of clothes on the weekend and then shower and change at the office. You can also get a YMCA or similar membership, reputedly for cheap if all you need is access to a locker and shower.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 14, 2012 5:16 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:

The firm I worked for (Vault - not top rank. I was just a secretary.) had a shower and bathroom set-up. Not sure how many though. Workout in the AM and just use these.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Mon May 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:

The firm I worked for (Vault - not top rank) had a shower and bathroom set-up. Not sure how many though. Workout in the AM and just use these.

I think every firm should have - always lets your lawyers look good for meetings with clients or court dates, reinforces fitness and takes out one excuse to deck out early. If u have a hot date, odds are your office is closer to location than your pad, but I didn't think firms actually would.

If i had a shower, gym and seamlessweb I'd never leave the office.

Bucket

Postby Bucket » Mon May 14, 2012 6:34 pm

SpiteFence

Postby SpiteFence » Mon May 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks. So it seems like the consensus view is to find a gym near work (in my case the Loop), and go before work? I guess I'll just run on the weekends then.

Bigbub75

Postby Bigbub75 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:00 pm

Bucket wrote:Black ppl don't seem to need much exercise to stay lean.

lol wut?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 pm

Bigbub75 wrote:

lol wut?

Troll account.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon May 14, 2012 10:58 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Just do dilligence/doc review all day--> order chicken/steak + veggies Seamless web on firm's dime after 8pm --> sneak out of the office for hour of Olympic Lifting/CrossFit-->return to the office for moar dilligence/doc review but with a protein rich, healthy meal waiting for you, bro.

Credited as FUARK.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue May 15, 2012 1:39 am

Bigbub75 wrote:

lol wut?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/opini ... e-fat.html

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2012 3:49 am

does anyone feel awkward about seeing your co-workers in the office building's gym or shower?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue May 15, 2012 4:09 am

If you really value exercise, you'll make it work somehow. Not really worried about it, but I appreciate other's tips and advice on the best ways to accomplish this.

texaslawyer

Postby texaslawyer » Tue May 15, 2012 12:26 pm

In order to endure the pressure and stress, you MUST find time to work out. If there is a gym on
the way to your firm that opens early, join it and workout there. Otherwise you'll be hypertensive
by the time you're 40 and your wife's second husband will more than enjoys the fruits of your labors.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue May 15, 2012 12:52 pm

If you're going to Kirkland or Mayer, there are gyms in their buildings. I know Mayer people get subsizied memberships, not sure about Kirkland. Don't know whether there are gyms in any of the others firms' buildings.

Return to “Legal Employment”