ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:19 pm

I'll try to get it back on track... What is the proper response to an associate who is dumping work on you left and right and seemingly trying to box you out of work from partners?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll try to get it back on track... What is the proper response to an associate who is dumping work on you left and right and seemingly trying to box you out of work from partners?

talk to recruiting about getting experience with "other types of work/practice areas"?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll try to get it back on track... What is the proper response to an associate who is dumping work on you left and right and seemingly trying to box you out of work from partners?

If you have partner assigning work to you, then tell the associate that you have assignments from Partner X that you have to complete.

But maybe it's not intentional. I get most of my work from associates because they are the ones actually have tasks that I can complete. Partners usually are directing the team and only give me work when no associates is available to take it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Any of you guys ever have an awkward conversation where one partner badmouths another partner or former partner. Like, "that lazy SOB!" or " "I'm glad that guy left. He was always so arrogant." What do you do? I obviously don't want to bad mouth or join in the insulting of another attorney.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:14 am

r6_philly wrote:

If you have partner assigning work to you, then tell the associate that you have assignments from Partner X that you have to complete.

But maybe it's not intentional. I get most of my work from associates because they are the ones actually have tasks that I can complete. Partners usually are directing the team and only give me work when no associates is available to take it.

Yeah, I get most of my good work from associates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:46 am

Just pissed off a partner from a different group.

So I'm in group A. This partner from group B gave me an assignment, but he hesitated, because I might not have the specialty needed. Supposedly, I would look into the assignment and let him know whether I'm comfortable to take it. I made sure we were on the same page.

I replied a week later that I don't feel comfortable and may not deliver the work product that meets the standard. Within that past week though, I spent the first three days on my group's assignments, which happened to be urgent; and the remaining four days were occupied by a firm wide retreat in a different city. All SAs were totally busy with the events at the retreat.

Partner emailed back and seemed upset. Suggestions?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just pissed off a partner from a different group.

So I'm in group A. This partner from group B gave me an assignment, but he hesitated, because I might not have the specialty needed. Supposedly, I would look into the assignment and let him know whether I'm comfortable to take it. I made sure we were on the same page.

I replied a week later that I don't feel comfortable and may not deliver the work product that meets the standard. Within that past week though, I spent the first three days on my group's assignments, which happened to be urgent; and the remaining four days were occupied by a firm wide retreat in a different city. All SAs were totally busy with the events at the retreat.

I mean, was it pretty clear that they were upset? Was it just a terse response, like, "Ok, we'll find someone else," or did they chew you out to some extent? Did you respond back already?

If it's clear they are upset, just apologize. Yeah, it's not totally unreasonable that you didn't get around to it until a week later given what you said happened, but you knew that if you waited that long there would be a chance that you could look at it determine you weren't qualified to handle it and that the partner would be pissed you took a week to tell him this. I mean you probably could have determined within 30 minutes of research whether or not you could do it. So man up and apologize, and if there is something else you can do to help the partner out or make his life easier, even better. And definitely don't make any excuses about it, either.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:32 am

f7 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just pissed off a partner from a different group.

Apologize, because you fucked up severely.

Agreed. Even if you were sure he was on the same page, he's a busy partner. You should have told him sooner. Even assuming you were working 20 hour days for the 3 days, you at least had an early morning during the retreat you could have looked at it. Also, saying "I was too busy at a non-billable fun retreat to pay attention to your request" sounds terrible.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any of you guys ever have an awkward conversation where one partner badmouths another partner or former partner. Like, "that lazy SOB!" or " "I'm glad that guy left. He was always so arrogant." What do you do? I obviously don't want to bad mouth or join in the insulting of another attorney.

is this a 1 on 1 conversation he's having with you, or are you just part of a larger conversation? if the latter, just smile and nod. if the former...well that's just weird, since you don't know the guy he's bitching about. i'd just give non-committal agreement, "oh yea? hm. wow."

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any of you guys ever have an awkward conversation where one partner badmouths another partner or former partner. Like, "that lazy SOB!" or " "I'm glad that guy left. He was always so arrogant." What do you do? I obviously don't want to bad mouth or join in the insulting of another attorney.

I had an awkward moment where a partner said an associate didn't know anything about anything. Partner was visibly drunk, I took the opportunity to take a big sip of my drink, give a side glance to a few other summers, and change the subject.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:30 am

fatduck wrote:i do feel bad for derailing a useful thread

SIGH

carry on, fellows

Naw. Fatduck's the best.

swag

Fatduck's the best

swag

Fatduck's the best

swag

You can't shoot through his vest.

He is so great.

That's why you hate.

Fatduck's the best

swag

Fatduck's the best

swag

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:38 am

Just pissed off a partner from a different group.

You should go and speak to the partner in person. He might be busy, but a face to face apology will help alleviate the situation much faster than a faceless email. Go in, speak to him, get his perspective, and he'll respect you more for doing so
Last edited by DwightSchruteFarms on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:39 am

TTH wrote:
fatduck wrote:i do feel bad for derailing a useful thread

SIGH

carry on, fellows

Naw. Fatduck's the best.

swag

Fatduck's the best

swag

Fatduck's the best

swag

You can't shoot through his vest.

He is so great.

That's why you hate.

Fatduck's the best

swag

Fatduck's the best

swag

amazing reference

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:43 pm

Tell me if I effed this up or not.

Recently had lunch with a partner. We were discussing politics and I let it be known that I favor increased regulation on financial institutions. He definitely disagreed and we then had a medium-length discussion about whether more regulation or more liability threats would help ameliorate systemic risk. He said that he agreed with me on two points (re leverage and re SOX officer certification). Pretty cordial conversation, but he was definitely on the other side than me.

This partner does a lot of work with financial institutions and is someone for whom I'd like to work with a lot in the future. Did I eff this up and ensure that he would not like to work with me? I realize that this is a neurotic question, but such is life as an SA.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I realize that this is a neurotic question, but such is life as an SA.

nah, it's just you

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Tell me if I effed this up or not.

Recently had lunch with a partner. We were discussing politics and I let it be known that I favor increased regulation on financial institutions. He definitely disagreed and we then had a medium-length discussion about whether more regulation or more liability threats would help ameliorate systemic risk. He said that he agreed with me on two points (re leverage and re SOX officer certification). Pretty cordial conversation, but he was definitely on the other side than me.

This partner does a lot of work with financial institutions and is someone for whom I'd like to work with a lot in the future. Did I eff this up and ensure that he would not like to work with me? I realize that this is a neurotic question, but such is life as an SA.

No one really can know the answer to this. Most probably wouldn't hold it against you but some might
Best to completely avoid politics in the office as a summer, especially those issues that may be related to client work.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:

No one really can know the answer to this. Most probably wouldn't hold it against you but some might
Best to completely avoid politics in the office as a summer, especially those issues that may be related to client work.

Best to try, but shoot sometimes they ask you directly. I actually used to do a lot of work around corporate compliance with SOX in my prior life and when corporate attys at the firm found out they asked me all kind of questions about my opinion on the act. Lucky I don't want to work in corporate so I can just say anything non-offensive, but they legit wanted to hash that out over several glasses of wine at happy hr.

But on whether or not the poster "messed up," just ask him for work. If he says no, then you'll have your answer.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm

fl0w wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Best to try, but shoot sometimes they ask you directly. I actually used to do a lot of work around corporate compliance with SOX in my prior life and when corporate attys at the firm found out they asked me all kind of questions about my opinion on the act. Lucky I don't want to work in corporate so I can just say anything non-offensive, but they legit wanted to hash that out over several glasses of wine at happy hr.

What a miserable gunner firm.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:21 pm

TTH wrote:
fl0w wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

What a miserable gunner firm.

well i think they were actually in the topic and got excited about it. you can call it what you want, but i it's nice to see people that get excited about their practice. my only point is that i was on the spot and it caught me off guard, but it was fine to participate because they were legit interested in having the discussion.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Second half firm not as intense as first so far. Left work at 3:30 to golf.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 pm

rad lulz wrote:Second half firm not as intense as first so far. Left work at 3:30 to golf.

Me too. Dying of boredom.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:55 pm

IAFG wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Second half firm not as intense as first so far. Left work at 3:30 to golf.

Get used to it/enjoy it, friends.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:27 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Get used to it/enjoy it, friends.

You mean these firms are not waiting on my work product with EAGER and SALIVATING anticipation?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:40 am

So, anything one can do to bolster chances of an offer at a midsize firm other than try to produce your best work product and get to know/be nice to everyone?

Postby 20121109 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:08 am

Question:

I've been told by several attorneys that you should never apologize when you're unavailable (like missing a call, or taking a while to return an email) and even if you've made a mistake. Instead, you should briefly explain why you were unavailable, or if you made a mistake to just say, "I'll fix it" and then go right ahead and do it. My assignment director even went out of his way to call me and tell me to that effect.

My natural disposition is rather apologetic so I find it a little bizarre. I'm sure some of you think the contrary, but in what circumstances? Genuinely just trying to gauge what is proper communicative etiquette in big law.

Return to “Legal Employment”