ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAFG

Platinum

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Post by IAFG » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:41 am

romothesavior wrote:Image

Payday brahs
I'm rich, bitch.

Who's fucktarded idea was it to pay summer interns this kind of money, anyway?!

vegeta

New

Post by vegeta » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well relationship with long term girlfriend just fell apart today. Had to try to hold my shit together for the last hour of work AND had a fucking social event tonight I had to go to. Big project due by end of business tomorrow. How fucked am I?
Man up and do your work.
I can't even think straight. I had to spend the last hour of my day with the door closed today. I seriously don't know how I will get through the day
I'm sorry man. Really am. Will be praying for you. Philippians 4:6-7. It's tough, but hang in there; it's almost the end of the week. Go to friends and family you know you can trust to be there for you.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:30 am

IAFG wrote:

Payday brahs
I'm rich, bitch.

Who's fucktarded idea was it to pay summer interns this kind of money, anyway?!
They don't direct depoist our first checks so I have to wait at my desk until they deliver it.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:03 am

Payday brahs
I'm gonna buy a six piece chicken mcnuggets eat three and throw three away. I don't give a fuck cuz I got money like that.

jess

Post by jess » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:19 pm

fl0w wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: It is payday tomorrow...
literally just got paid via direct deposit. hell to the yes.
Hollaaaaa

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:

Payday brahs
I'm gonna buy a six piece chicken mcnuggets eat three and throw three away. I don't give a fuck cuz I got money like that.
Literally LOL'd.

Was about to buy two suits (which I need to buy anyways), but I decided I'll wait until the end of the month.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:34 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:

Payday brahs
Literally LOL'd.

Was about to buy two suits (which I need to buy anyways), but I decided I'll wait until the end of the month.
almost bought a new suit myself. 30% off hugo boss at macys on mich ave right now. might actually go back tomr and get it.
Last edited by traehekat on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:38 pm

how much is the NYC take-home?

i feel like i'm overtaxed for being in TX right now...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:41 pm

3 exemptions.

NYC gross pay so far: $12,307.91

Take home: $8,248.86

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:42 pm

y u no max exemptions?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:28 pm

I took like 30 exemptions take home was 5500 this check.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:03 am

So I'm getting worried because I feel like everyone else is staying longer or coming in earlier because they're so "busy." While, I'm busy during the day, I really don't see the need to stay late - especially since I'm so tired by the end of the day, it just makes sense for me to leave the office and start fresh the next day. I had to come in like an hour early twice and I stayed until 7 ONCE. It's either 1) I'm doing shitty work or 2) I'm not getting enough work. I haven't really had any feedback on my assignments yet...I really hope I'm not fucking this up. That check today was nice and I don't want to loose that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I'm getting worried because I feel like everyone else is staying longer or coming in earlier because they're so "busy." While, I'm busy during the day, I really don't see the need to stay late - especially since I'm so tired by the end of the day, it just makes sense for me to leave the office and start fresh the next day. I had to come in like an hour early twice and I stayed until 7 ONCE. It's either 1) I'm doing shitty work or 2) I'm not getting enough work. I haven't really had any feedback on my assignments yet...I really hope I'm not fucking this up. That check today was nice and I don't want to loose that.
It's more likely that each night a few, one or two, have to stay late but you hear about it each day making you think you are the only one not staying.I'm slammed with work but there is an ebb and flow to it. At this point no one is good at this. I'm certainly not but I have gotten so many assignments from my original assigners I have turned down work from others but I know I'm horrible at this because you have to learn how to do it.

TL::DR: you're fine unless someone there gives you an indication they don't want to work with you.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:56 am

Could be that they're just gunning, don't know what they're doing so spend a lot more time, or bs all day so need more time to complete assignments. Don't worry about what the other SAs are doing. Just make sure you're doing what you need to.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:43 pm

ran12 wrote:Could be that they're just gunning, don't know what they're doing so spend a lot more time, or bs all day so need more time to complete assignments. Don't worry about what the other SAs are doing. Just make sure you're doing what you need to.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:57 pm

I actually went in to work today. And not because I was trying to gun :|.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:16 pm

keg411 wrote:I actually went in to work today. And not because I was trying to gun :|.
Hi Keg from this week, meet Keg from last week.
keg411 wrote: Why are you working on the weekends? You're a SA.

Am I the only one who thinks people are crazy this summer by trying to pull crazy hours, out-gun their office mates to see who can work the longest, etc.? Either that or some firms are just absolutely insane and if it's that bad as a SA, I can't even imagine what those places must be like as a junior associate.

I mean, I have work to do and all and sure I could go in and do it, but it's nothing that can't get done during the week, and it's certainly not even close to being due ASAP on Monday that I'd feel the need to go in on the weekends as a summer.
You must be trying to out-gun someone or your firm is insane. And you said you're not gunning so your firm must be insane. Tell us more?

:roll: :arrow: :lol:
unless of course you went to work today for a reason besides work... Then I don't get why you would post that.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:23 pm

Unitas wrote:You must be trying to out-gun someone or your firm is insane. And you said you're not gunning so your firm must be insane. Tell us more?

It was pro bono stuff and believe me I'd had my reasons beyond gunning/firm insanity :?.

I'd really really rather not elaborate on here since I posted this non-anonymously. PM me if you're curious about more and I'll tell you since you've been around for a while.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:32 pm

keg411 wrote:
Unitas wrote:You must be trying to out-gun someone or your firm is insane. And you said you're not gunning so your firm must be insane. Tell us more?

It was pro bono stuff and believe me I'd had my reasons beyond gunning/firm insanity :?.

I'd really really rather not elaborate on here since I posted this non-anonymously. PM me if you're curious about more and I'll tell you since you've been around for a while.
I was just screwing with you. I even did emoticons to hopefully show that. I've really got to get better on sarcasm through electronic communications.

I hope it went well!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:36 pm

Unitas wrote:
keg411 wrote:

I was just screwing with you. I even did emoticons to hopefully show that. I've really got to get better on sarcasm through electronic communications.

I hope it went well!
Ah, no worries. The "rolls eyes" smiley threw me :lol:.

As for "going well": I got done what I wanted to get done. Will see next week if it was worth it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:43 am

So far I have really enjoyed most of the work I've been given- about 90% of my assignments have been substantive and challenging. My firm's clients are top notch and the summer events have been pretty spectacular too.

However, I can tell already that I don't exactly "fit in" with the firm culture. Don't get me wrong- the people I work with are polite and courteous at the office. But the things they value and enjoy visiting about are pretty much the exact opposite of my values and background.

Name dropping and bragging about what high school/grade school/block you grew up on/etc. seem to be a national pastime here at the SA lunches. Most associates could not give a fuck about actually getting to know the summers- they view us as a necessary evil that must be endured so they can stuff their face or get shitfaced for free on the company dime. And while I understand this mindset to a degree, the level of brazenness with which they act is sometimes pretty stunning.

I was positive this was the place for me after my callback in the fall- it seemed like such a great fit. Now I'm almost anxious for the summer to end. Of course I'll grin and bear it and happily cash my pay check for the next month, but still, this is kind of a sinking feeling.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:14 pm

I think nothing sucks worse than spending a full week on a research project and finding only a few cases nation wide on point -- all of which say that your side is probably screwed.

But I'll be damned if I say that all of that depth searching wasn't at least fun/interesting.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:48 pm

My firm is awesome.

That is all, carry on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:02 pm

My firm is awesome too. I like all of the summers, but this one fat white chick at my NYC firm is driving me insane. She asks stupid, unnecessary questions when we have been staffed together on projects to show the attorneys how engaged she is, and constantly sends condescending updates to the attorneys like "(me) and I talked about X, just so you know" and other pointless updates to show how proactive she is being. I refuse to inundate attorneys with this garbage. I just do my work correctly and turn it in. She also takes less work on purposefully so she can turn in "better" quality work relative to the other summers. Sides that she is nice though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”