ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
r6_philly

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:40 am

5ky wrote:
shoeshine wrote:I hope this isn't a serious question.

Different firms have different cultures, I guess. Also, at least the way offices at my firm are set up, you can't really see SAs unless you actually poke your head in the door.

So when someone poke their head in the door, but then decided not to bother you, are you going to put down your headphones and chase them out into the hall way?

It's not a big deal, but you risk someone people's impression of you is that you don't like to be bothered when you are there.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:44 am

r6_philly wrote:
5ky wrote:

Different firms have different cultures, I guess. Also, at least the way offices at my firm are set up, you can't really see SAs unless you actually poke your head in the door.

So when someone poke their head in the door, but then decided not to bother you, are you going to put down your headphones and chase them out into the hall way?

It's not a big deal, but you risk someone people's impression of you is that you don't like to be bothered when you are there.

+1

I know different firms have different cultures but this would really not go over well at my firm. Half my day is spent talking to partners and associates that just "popped into" my office to see how I am doing. It is hard because I lose my train of thought every time it happens but my firm is big on networking during the summer.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:45 am

r6_philly wrote:
5ky wrote:

I don't wear headphones, but as I said, different cultures. Almost everyone around me wears them, and I've never been dissuaded from talking to someone because they had them in.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:04 am

lol

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:15 am

our firm actually gave us headphones to use on the first day. so i'm gonna say it's a cultural thing. I only close the door if I have a phone call to be on. I haven't had to use the headphones yet, but i'm not really a guy that listens to music at work. I personally don't like the message it sends. But that's a me thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:49 am

What's the highest level work being fielded around these parts?

(I'll show you mine if you show me yours.)

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the highest level work being fielded around these parts?

(I'll show you mine if you show me yours.)

I am cite checking the bible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:10 am

5ky wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1. is it okay for biglaw SA to listen to ipod all day long while working?
2. does it look bad to shut the office door?

just trying to screen some noise and concentrate on working.... comments?

Neither of those things are okay.

You are there to network and get to know the lawyers/staff. You can't do that with headphones in your ears or the door closed.

I don't see a problem with either, particularly with headphones. How does listening to an ipod to drown out noise preclude you from talking to people?

We were advised not to do this, if only because some of the older partners might not be too cool with it. For me at least, that's usually a good enough reason not to do something, whether they're rational or not.

Of course, as has been said, it's a culture thing and if a good number of the associates are doing it, it'll probably be alright.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:43 am

r6_philly wrote:
5ky wrote:

Depends on whether or not you have your own office. At my firm, we share offices, so someone wearing headphones isn't going to dissuade people from stopping by (and people really don't stop by often at all; it's only been young associates and the recruiting people so far).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:26 pm

I like to chew gum when working. It helps me not grind my teeth. How bad would it be to chew gum when I'm alone in my office and just swallow it if someone stops by to talk?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Really enjoying this so far now that im hitting my stride a bit. Had an awesome moment today when I totally found the perfect case to support a point of law that I was asked to research (and was told would be very difficult to find support for). Got to participate in a conference call last week with a client, got solid feedback (and some helpful constructive criticism) on my first few assignment, and tomorrow im going to lunch with the head partner of the group I see myself joining down the road.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I like to chew gum when working. It helps me not grind my teeth. How bad would it be to chew gum when I'm alone in my office and just swallow it if someone stops by to talk?

I chew gum all the time when I'm in my office alone. My firm is really laid back though

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Talked with a partner recently about some of my work so far, and he commented that people thought I was "very mature." He said my work was great, and people had commented about the quality of and my quick turnaround time on work. He also said that people enjoyed working with me. However, the "mature" comment makes me wary. It makes me think that they would be hesitant to hire me because they still view me as a kid/young adult as opposed to a potential associate. Am I making too much out of it when I would be the youngest associate in the office by at least 3-4 years (if not more)?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Talked with a partner recently about some of my work so far, and he commented that people thought I was "very mature." He said my work was great, and people had commented about the quality of and my quick turnaround time on work. He also said that people enjoyed working with me. However, the "mature" comment makes me wary. It makes me think that they would be hesitant to hire me because they still view me as a kid/young adult as opposed to a potential associate. Am I making too much out of it when I would be the youngest associate in the office by at least 3-4 years (if not more)?

You sound fine.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Talked with a partner recently about some of my work so far, and he commented that people thought I was "very mature." He said my work was great, and people had commented about the quality of and my quick turnaround time on work. He also said that people enjoyed working with me. However, the "mature" comment makes me wary. It makes me think that they would be hesitant to hire me because they still view me as a kid/young adult as opposed to a potential associate. Am I making too much out of it when I would be the youngest associate in the office by at least 3-4 years (if not more)?
Only on TLS.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:58 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Only on TLS.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:05 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Only on TLS.

Not mature enough? :D

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:45 am

Doing research without a bottle of wine nearby is extremely difficult. (Nongraded) Legal Research & Writing Class did not prepare me for being a SA...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:38 pm

Is anybody else having trouble with research assignments? I spent hours today searching for a case on a particular issue and came up empty handed. This is the third assignment where this has happened to me. I don't know if I'm just getting weird issues to research or if I'm doing something wrong.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:52 pm

desertlaw wrote:Doing research without a bottle of wine nearby is extremely difficult. (Nongraded) Legal Research & Writing Class did not prepare me for being a SA...

The credited response is to put wine in a coke can and have it nearby.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anybody else having trouble with research assignments? I spent hours today searching for a case on a particular issue and came up empty handed. This is the third assignment where this has happened to me. I don't know if I'm just getting weird issues to research or if I'm doing something wrong.

Ask the research librarians, they've been really great so far with helping me find what I need.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anybody else having trouble with research assignments? I spent hours today searching for a case on a particular issue and came up empty handed. This is the third assignment where this has happened to me. I don't know if I'm just getting weird issues to research or if I'm doing something wrong.

Ask the research librarians, they've been really great so far with helping me find what I need.

Firm librarians are TMFCR. If you develop a good relationship with them, they might go the extra mile for ya.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:24 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Firm librarians are TMFCR. If you develop a good relationship with them, they might go the extra mile for ya.

Like the OP, I've already had 3-4 assignments where there really wasn't a solid answer. None of the firm librarians, Lexis researchers, and Westlaw researchers could find anything that helped. There were iffy answers, but nothing definite (or even close to it). Sometimes, those things just happen, and it's not that unusual.

Based on what a couple of the lawyers at my firm said, a lot of them just save up projects where they don't think there's a solid answer, and they throw it on the SAs since we have plenty of time to look for an answer if there really is one. I don't think that's really a surprise to anyone, but I think that might answer part of OP's question since there's a better chance that SA projects might not have a good answer than the projects you might expect as a new associate in general.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:43 pm

I find that SA projects tend to come in 2 varieties:

1. Atty is pretty sure he knows the correct answer, because it's so obvious, but wants cases and reasoning so he knows he's for sure he's not wrong. Assigns SA to project to find the law that he knows is out there.

2. Atty has no freaking clue and the argument is way out of left field. Assigns SA to dig around to see if there's anything interesting out there.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:48 pm

rad lulz wrote:I find that SA projects tend to come in 2 varieties:

1. Atty is pretty sure he knows the correct answer, because it's so obvious, but wants cases and reasoning so he knows he's for sure he's not wrong. Assigns SA to project to find the law that he knows is out there.

2. Atty has no freaking clue and the argument is way out of left field. Assigns SA to dig around to see if there's anything interesting out there.

I have been getting a lot of #2, and they are fun. Some of what I find also find their way to the documents which is cool.

Return to “Legal Employment”