ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby IAFG » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Going to start next week at a regional firm of ~150 attorneys in its main office of roughly 45 attorneys. I'm one of only two SAs (they were planning to hire three but only ended up hiring two). Anyone have any advice?

This is one of those everyone-becomes-a-partner firms that claims to not plan for attrition or turnover at all. Last summer, only 1 of 3 got an offer, though in summers before that it's been higher. I'm excited (this is exactly the type of firm I wanted to work for) but also super nervous.


You talking about Cole Schotz

You have Aspergers

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:31 am

Named partner at a Midlaw firm assigned a memo on an interesting First Amendment problem that "will probably never come up in litigation." Defendant submitted a motion Friday, and apparently the First Amendment issue is now going to decide the outcome of a multimillion dollar class action.

Turning in memo tomorrow. :shock: I should have paid more attention in ConLaw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Going to start next week at a regional firm of ~150 attorneys in its main office of roughly 45 attorneys. I'm one of only two SAs (they were planning to hire three but only ended up hiring two). Anyone have any advice?

This is one of those everyone-becomes-a-partner firms that claims to not plan for attrition or turnover at all. Last summer, only 1 of 3 got an offer, though in summers before that it's been higher. I'm excited (this is exactly the type of firm I wanted to work for) but also super nervous.


You talking about Cole Schotz


If this is accurate, their recruiting person, in my experience, was a huge "see you next Tuesday".

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby fl0w » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Named partner at a Midlaw firm assigned a memo on an interesting First Amendment problem that "will probably never come up in litigation." Defendant submitted a motion Friday, and apparently the First Amendment issue is now going to decide the outcome of a multimillion dollar class action.

Turning in memo tomorrow. :shock: I should have paid more attention in ConLaw.


nah, conlaw doesn't give you enough 1st amendment to have been helpful; it's all commerce clause. You would have had to taken a specific course on 1st amendment in anticipation of this assignment.

but enjoy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Starting tomorrow in DC. Very nervous.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby blurbz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:35 pm

Also starting tomorrow.

I just hope I can get the energy up for all the networking and social events, starting with a welcome breakfast tomorrow morning, after about a month of pure introversion.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:02 pm

Mid-summer reviews coming up this week. Slightly nervous but looking forward to it.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby moandersen » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:47 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Mid-summer reviews coming up this week. Slightly nervous but looking forward to it.


That's cool your office does that - as far as I know the one I'm at does not. What's with wearing the ties everyday? No business casual?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby northwood » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:50 pm

I wear a tie every day... About half of the attorneys do and my supervisor does... They dont define business casual... But simple go with the directive to dress similarly to your dept

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Nm.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:33 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:Mid-summer reviews coming up this week. Slightly nervous but looking forward to it.


That's cool your office does that - as far as I know the one I'm at does not. What's with wearing the ties everyday? No business casual?


Yeah. I think it's pretty nice. As for the suits/ties, I think most of the SAs have gone with just a button-down without a tie recently from what I've seen.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:17 pm

NYC Biglaw SAs: What time have you generally been leaving the office most nights? Worked any weekends (from home or otherwise) yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NYC Biglaw SAs: What time have you generally been leaving the office most nights? Worked any weekends (from home or otherwise) yet?


5:30. No weekends. Firm seems to be all about making this a paid vacation for us.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NYC Biglaw SAs: What time have you generally been leaving the office most nights? Worked any weekends (from home or otherwise) yet?


I'm averaging probably 6:30. No weekend work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:NYC Biglaw SAs: What time have you generally been leaving the office most nights? Worked any weekends (from home or otherwise) yet?


5:30. No weekends. Firm seems to be all about making this a paid vacation for us.


I'm the anon that posted the original question. Just making sure I'm not the only one; this makes me feel better. I feel like all I do is go to lunch. Not that I'm complaining. And, of course, this will probably change as the summer progresses.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:00 pm

I also start tomorrow. Anything you guys are doing to prepare?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:NYC Biglaw SAs: What time have you generally been leaving the office most nights? Worked any weekends (from home or otherwise) yet?


5:30. No weekends. Firm seems to be all about making this a paid vacation for us.


I'm the anon that posted the original question. Just making sure I'm not the only one; this makes me feel better. I feel like all I do is go to lunch. Not that I'm complaining. And, of course, this will probably change as the summer progresses.

I'm similar. Range from 5:30 to 7:30, typically around 6:30. Probably doing legitimate "billable" work an average of 5-6 hours a day. (Very inefficiently of course.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:06 am

1. is it okay for biglaw SA to listen to ipod all day long while working?
2. does it look bad to shut the office door?

just trying to screen some noise and concentrate on working.... comments?

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:1. is it okay for biglaw SA to listen to ipod all day long while working?
2. does it look bad to shut the office door?

just trying to screen some noise and concentrate on working.... comments?


Neither of those things are okay.

You are there to network and get to know the lawyers/staff. You can't do that with headphones in your ears or the door closed.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Ludo! » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:12 am

I definitely wouldn't shut my door but I've listened to headphones. I just keep it low enough so that if somebody stops by my office I can hear them

e: And I definitely don't listen to music all day.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:NYC Biglaw SAs: What time have you generally been leaving the office most nights? Worked any weekends (from home or otherwise) yet?



Left as early as 530 (Friday before Memorial Day) to as late as 1030. Worked from home tonight (Sunday), for a few hours.
This is little uncommon for my firm's program, but I've been put on a few hot matters/last-minute clusterfucks for deals.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6384
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby 5ky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:25 am

shoeshine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1. is it okay for biglaw SA to listen to ipod all day long while working?
2. does it look bad to shut the office door?

just trying to screen some noise and concentrate on working.... comments?


Neither of those things are okay.

You are there to network and get to know the lawyers/staff. You can't do that with headphones in your ears or the door closed.


I don't see a problem with either, particularly with headphones. How does listening to an ipod to drown out noise preclude you from talking to people?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:27 am

5ky wrote:
I don't see a problem with either, particularly with headphones. How does listening to an ipod to drown out noise preclude you from talking to people?


I don't think it's wrong, but people tend not to socialize or bother you when you have your headphone on. So while people with business will still talk to you, people who just want to chat and say hi may not when they walk by.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:27 am

.
Last edited by shoeshine on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6384
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby 5ky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:33 am

shoeshine wrote:I hope this isn't a serious question.


Different firms have different cultures, I guess. Also, at least the way offices at my firm are set up, you can't really see SAs unless you actually poke your head in the door.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.