ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fl0w

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby fl0w » Sun May 27, 2012 4:40 pm

sparty99 wrote:Why the hell would you call them, "Mr. _________?"

Clearly, this is your first job and they won't take you seriously. First name basis only.

if you worked in a country where people are referred to by their surname first. like china, japan.
other than that... nope. This is amURica!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 27, 2012 5:21 pm

stratocophic wrote:If your firm is laid back, they'll think you're weird if you're overly formal. The ragging from partners I've worked with would be merciless if I was formal with them.

I'm the poster with the original question. I would not consider my firm overly laid back. Very traditional, white-shoe law firm in NYC. If I was at some 100-lawyer midlaw shop somewhere like Indianapolis or St. Louis, I probably would be going straight to first name. The reason this is a point of uncertainty for me is that I referred to another partner (who I didn't really know very well) by his first name to a different partner, and the partner I was talking to stiffened up a little bit. And my assistant refers to partners by Mr. X, but to associates on a first-name basis. So eh, was just wondering. No reason for everybody to get their panties in a wad over a well-intentioned question.

I read this thread and I feel SO lucky to be SAing at my firm.

I read your response and I would feel SO lucky if I never have to run into snotty know-it-alls at my firm. Get off your high horse, bro.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sun May 27, 2012 5:32 pm

If your assistant refers to partners as Mr. X, and associates by first name, that's the route I would go, until a partner tells you to use his first name. As an SA, you're pretty close to the same level as your staff, so I'd take your leads from them.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun May 27, 2012 6:15 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:If your assistant refers to partners as Mr. X, and associates by first name, that's the route I would go, until a partner tells you to use his first name. As an SA, you're pretty close to the same level as your staff, so I'd take your leads from them.

Don't go by what your assistant does. Observe other associates. You are there to be an associate, not an assistant/paralegal. (There is no subordination on your part).

I have never worked anywhere where you don't use first name to address someone working in the same office. If there will be daily interactions, then you use first name. You use titles and last names only when there is a non-coworker relationship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 27, 2012 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
stratocophic wrote:If your firm is laid back, they'll think you're weird if you're overly formal. The ragging from partners I've worked with would be merciless if I was formal with them.

I'm the poster with the original question. I would not consider my firm overly laid back. Very traditional, white-shoe law firm in NYC. If I was at some 100-lawyer midlaw shop somewhere like Indianapolis or St. Louis, I probably would be going straight to first name. The reason this is a point of uncertainty for me is that I referred to another partner (who I didn't really know very well) by his first name to a different partner, and the partner I was talking to stiffened up a little bit. And my assistant refers to partners by Mr. X, but to associates on a first-name basis. So eh, was just wondering. No reason for everybody to get their panties in a wad over a well-intentioned question.

I read your response and I would feel SO lucky if I never have to run into snotty know-it-alls at my firm. Get off your high horse, bro.

Huh. I am a "snotty know-it-all" because I've never called anyone at work Mr./Mrs.? Here I thought I was being helpful by providing some perspective, including the advice of a practitioner.

All I meant by "feeling lucky to be at my firm" is that its a relatively informal place (business casual -- even the occasional short sleeve, and first name only). This thread is making me realize that a lot of places aren't like that. I am lucky because I didn't have a whole of of choices (I didn't get 53 offers like many around here), yet ended up at a place that seems to be a great fit for me so far (I like casual). Really not sure what part of that is offensive, or puts me on a high horse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 27, 2012 6:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:If your assistant refers to partners as Mr. X, and associates by first name, that's the route I would go, until a partner tells you to use his first name. As an SA, you're pretty close to the same level as your staff, so I'd take your leads from them.

Don't go by what your assistant does. Observe other associates. You are there to be an associate, not an assistant/paralegal. (There is no subordination on your part).

I have never worked anywhere where you don't use first name to address someone working in the same office. If there will be daily interactions, then you use first name. You use titles and last names only when there is a non-coworker relationship.

To be clear, the first time you met any partner in your office, you went straight to "Bill" or whatever? Maybe it's different for older folks who are roughly the same age of people who have already made partner status.

Other associates have already met pretty much every partner at the firm. So it's not like I am there at the times the professional relationships are just starting.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sun May 27, 2012 6:30 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Although I agree you're not there as an assistant or paralegal, I disagree that one should automatically go by observation of associates. They've been there longer, and very well may have already established the first name basis with partners - a basis an SA doesn't walk in having.

I've worked in places that even managers address superiors by title; it just depends on the levels of bureaucracy you're dealing with.

If other people in an office address partners by Mr./Mrs., and you're not sure, the safest route is to do the same until you're told otherwise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Huh. I am a "snotty know-it-all" because I've never called anyone at work Mr./Mrs.? Here I thought I was being helpful by providing some perspective, including the advice of a practitioner.

All I meant by "feeling lucky to be at my firm" is that its a relatively informal place (business casual -- even the occasional short sleeve, and first name only). This thread is making me realize that a lot of places aren't like that. I am lucky because I didn't have a whole of of choices (I didn't get 53 offers like many around here), yet ended up at a place that seems to be a great fit for me so far (I like casual). Really not sure what part of that is offensive, or puts me on a high horse.

I thought that your initial post came across as, "SO glad I have a job that doesn't make me rub shoulders with people in this thread. They seem SO awkward and less experienced than me. It's a shame that every law student isn't forced to have decades of work experience before law school." Maybe I was wrong.

I guess I'm just going to have to play this by ear. I just don't feel comfortable doing things like calling Martin Lipton "Marty" the first time I met him.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun May 27, 2012 6:46 pm

I feel sorry for people who feel like they have to say Mr/Mrs in the work place, and I'm a Southerner.

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Sun May 27, 2012 6:59 pm

the partner at the LA firm where I worked after my first year requested that I called him by his first name. I did not take it as a sign that the firm was laid-back or anything. I was right.

The firm - or the corporate office - where I worked after my second year and where I am working now has a friendly but formal environment. Sometimes I do hear the senior management people being addressed by their last name. They do not care at all, let alone took offense. But I got used to calling them by their first name after our first meeting.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun May 27, 2012 10:36 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I feel sorry for people who feel like they have to say Mr/Mrs in the work place, and I'm a Southerner.

It's really not that big of a deal either way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 9:36 am

Starting tomorrow. Very excited, but with a twinge of nervousness too.

Good luck to everyone else starting tomorrow!

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon May 28, 2012 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Starting tomorrow. Very excited, but with a twinge of nervousness too.

I'm nervous. I think the toughest part is being in a city where I don't really know anyone... so while a lot of people are having cookouts and relaxing i'm just pacing back and forth and freaking out.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon May 28, 2012 1:07 pm

fl0w wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Starting tomorrow. Very excited, but with a twinge of nervousness too.

I'm nervous. I think the toughest part is being in a city where I don't really know anyone... so while a lot of people are having cookouts and relaxing i'm just pacing back and forth and freaking out.

Don't be. You will be in for days of training. If you are in a big class, just get to know your fellow SAs and follow along in the programs. If you are in a small class, then it is easy to meet the attorneys because they will all focus on you. Relax, have a good time. Being too nervous or actually freaking out at work is going to be counter productive. They like people who can adapt and fit in.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue May 29, 2012 1:32 am

I start tomorrow. So excited to not have to pay for lunch for a while. Mixed feelings about "free" dinner.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 29, 2012 1:33 am

Same. Good luck brehs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 7:51 pm

2L, struck out at OCI w/ big firms after many interviews. Working at midsized niche firm that pays well. Had no experience in the practice area, and so far I hate everything about it.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue May 29, 2012 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L, struck out at OCI w/ big firms after many interviews. Working at midsized niche firm that pays well. Had no experience in the practice area, and so far I hate everything about it.

What's the practice area?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Bronte wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L, struck out at OCI w/ big firms after many interviews. Working at midsized niche firm that pays well. Had no experience in the practice area, and so far I hate everything about it.

intl trade & customs.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bronte wrote:

intl trade & customs.

Have you looked at international arbitration in the long-term? I hear that is what many global trade lawyers shift to as a second part of their career.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue May 29, 2012 11:50 pm

First day under the belt, and it was way better than I anticipated.

Spent all day in training/orientation, except for lunch and the last hour or so of the day - managed to get a good 30 minutes of billables in on a pretty cool project. Anxiety, gone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 1:12 am

Anyone else finding it challenging to balance the following priorities?

1 - it's super important to go to all the social events

2 - don't look like the weird guy who stays late to do work

3 - get your work done on time and make it be error-free.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else finding it challenging to balance the following priorities?

I understand what you're saying, but the third is the most important, and I think you're misconstruing the first a little bit. It's important to be social. It's not important to go to all the social events.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 8:54 am

Bronte wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else finding it challenging to balance the following priorities?

I understand what you're saying, but the third is the most important, and I think you're misconstruing the first a little bit. It's important to be social. It's not important to go to all the social events.

This probably varies a bit firm to firm but we were told it's pretty important to go to all the social events if we can.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Just finished my first assignment. Proofread the shit out of it but still made some small bluebook errors. now feeling anxious.

Return to “Legal Employment”