ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bronte

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Bronte » Thu May 24, 2012 12:31 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Real question ... What are people buying with their first paycheck?

I was planning to buy an expensive watch this summer (not with my first paycheck but after saving a bit). But, alas, I've decided it would be irresponsible. I've just got too much short term (parents, credit card, etc.) and long term debt. I'm just going to spend money on living well this summer (lots of restaurants and bars) and maybe some clothes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 2:10 pm

What is everyone's workload like. I'm only getting enough to take up half my day. Normal?

EDIT: And yes, I've asked for work several times.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu May 24, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 24, 2012 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is everyone's workload like. I'm only getting enough to take up half my day. Normal?

Interested to hear responses.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu May 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is everyone's workload like. I'm only getting enough to take up half my day. Normal?

EDIT: And yes, I've asked for work several times.

I currently have three assignments, but I feel like that's only because I worked at this firm last summer. Even with my three assignments I'm not busy because I'm waiting on partners/senior associates to give me guidance and they're all very busy at the moment. I don't want to, and am not going to, ask for an additional assignment because once these projects get started they'll keep me busy enough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 7:20 pm

First week at a smaller office of a large regional firm and so far I have had 4 assignments with a 5th on the way. Finished 2 entirely, 1 is all but done but needs touch up, haven't started the 4th, and the 5th will be a drafting assignment. Billed just over 5.5 today and it felt like I had all this free time the last half of the day.

Two of the assignments were basically softballs so it is nice to have some work I know I did well in the system early on.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Thu May 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First week at a smaller office of a large regional firm and so far I have had 4 assignments with a 5th on the way. Finished 2 entirely, 1 is all but done but needs touch up, haven't started the 4th, and the 5th will be a drafting assignment. Billed just over 5.5 today and it felt like I had all this free time the last half of the day.

Two of the assignments were basically softballs so it is nice to have some work I know I did well in the system early on.

Define softball?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 7:39 pm

traehekat wrote:

Interested to hear responses.

The projects I was assigned have been killer. First one was a SEC data survey that took ~40 hours. The second one will take about 20 with about 6 hours or so just devoted to understanding the topic. I go out with attorneys at lunch, and go to all the social events after work, but during the day I'm working my ass off. Hopefully the next few assignments will be a little more chill.

Reprisal

Postby Reprisal » Thu May 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else surprised by the extent to which using paid research tools is frowned upon?

We're on a flat rate plan, so I don't feel bad running a hundred searches a day or leaving windows open for hours when I go to lunch so that they're there when I come back.

A Lexis rep came by to hock Advance and mentioned that on a transactional basis, the firm logs a few million dollars of research every day. LOL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Anyone have any ideas on how to handle litigation research assignments where you're told "there may be nothing on this?" I figure short of finding something directly on point the best thing is to find something that can be analogized (which I can do to some extent), but it still feels weird being given an assignment and then coming back to the partner (who just also happens to be chair of the department) empty-handed.

I'll probably give Westlaw a call tomorrow, but I searched pretty hard for a few hours today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 8:45 pm

I feel like I'm being coddled so far. One real (but very easy) assignment and a couple of "watch this cool thing on this big case a big-shot partner is involved with" things. Lucky, or It's A Trap?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 8:56 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First week at a smaller office of a large regional firm and so far I have had 4 assignments with a 5th on the way. Finished 2 entirely, 1 is all but done but needs touch up, haven't started the 4th, and the 5th will be a drafting assignment. Billed just over 5.5 today and it felt like I had all this free time the last half of the day.

Define softball?

Won't get into the specifics but they involved memos on subjects that 1) I already had a basic understanding in and didn't have to teach myself anything 2) were rather straightforward even if the issues were a little nuanced and 3) involved only limited case research.

1 was a Lit assignment with mostly statutory analysis and 1 involved Article 9 issues

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Define softball?

Won't get into the specifics but they involved memos on subjects that 1) I already had a basic understanding in and didn't have to teach myself anything 2) were rather straightforward even if the issues were a little nuanced and 3) involved only limited case research.

1 was a Lit assignment with mostly statutory analysis and 1 involved Article 9 issues

Article 9, eh? So what you are saying is it wasn't a lie when I was told taking Secured Transactions would be useful?

battle_tested

Postby battle_tested » Thu May 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Would love to get some advice on this. I'm at a small firm this summer (about 50 attys) and I really like it. The people are great, the assignments are interesting and it's definitely got that "good ol boys" feel which I'm into (I've already been invited to 3 golf outings this summer, still can't believe they're going to pay me to golf). The only thing that is bad are the other 2 SA's. Idk why, but they've decided to gang up on me, constantly pushing my buttons, it's obvious they're actively one-up etc.

So today I answered an open email to the SA's from a partner regarding a project. When I got back the one SA sent an email to *summer associates* saying how I'm a gunner because I responded so quickly to the email and then the other SA responded with something along those lines. I attempted to play it off and said something, jokingly about me being a gunner and tearing pages out of library books. Anyway, I later realized that addressing an email to *summer associates* goes to not just us but also to the two associates who run the program. I'm pretty freaked out right now that I just cost myself an offer over something stupid, and I really never do stuff like this. Should I mention something to the associate tomorrow how it was just a joke and it won't happen again? Any thoughts?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu May 24, 2012 9:36 pm

battle_tested wrote:Would love to get some advice on this. I'm at a small firm this summer (about 50 attys) and I really like it. The people are great, the assignments are interesting and it's definitely got that "good ol boys" feel which I'm into (I've already been invited to 3 golf outings this summer, still can't believe they're going to pay me to golf). The only thing that is bad are the other 2 SA's. Idk why, but they've decided to gang up on me, constantly pushing my buttons, it's obvious they're actively one-up etc.

So today I answered an open email to the SA's from a partner regarding a project. When I got back the one SA sent an email to *summer associates* saying how I'm a gunner because I responded so quickly to the email and then the other SA responded with something along those lines. I attempted to play it off and said something, jokingly about me being a gunner and tearing pages out of library books. Anyway, I later realized that addressing an email to *summer associates* goes to not just us but also to the two associates who run the program. I'm pretty freaked out right now that I just cost myself an offer over something stupid, and I really never do stuff like this. Should I mention something to the associate tomorrow how it was just a joke and it won't happen again? Any thoughts?

lol i KNEW you were a tlser. totally forwarding this post to *summer associates* tomorrow. looooool

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 24, 2012 9:39 pm

battle_tested wrote:Would love to get some advice on this. I'm at a small firm this summer (about 50 attys) and I really like it. The people are great, the assignments are interesting and it's definitely got that "good ol boys" feel which I'm into (I've already been invited to 3 golf outings this summer, still can't believe they're going to pay me to golf). The only thing that is bad are the other 2 SA's. Idk why, but they've decided to gang up on me, constantly pushing my buttons, it's obvious they're actively one-up etc.

was it pretty clear that you were joking or does that not exactly leap off the page? i doubt anyone would take what you said seriously, tbh. if anyone should be worried, it should be the other two for being a couple jackasses.

battle_tested

Postby battle_tested » Thu May 24, 2012 9:44 pm

traehekat wrote:

was it pretty clear that you were joking or does that not exactly leap off the page? i doubt anyone would take what you said seriously, tbh. if anyone should be worried, it should be the other two for being a couple jackasses.

I think it was clear I was joking. I think things often get lost in translation in through email/txt though.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 24, 2012 9:46 pm

battle_tested wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I think it was clear I was joking. I think things often get lost in translation in through email/txt though.

i dont think anyone who sees it would interpret it as anything other than meaningless banter, so dont worry about it.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu May 24, 2012 10:13 pm

fatduck wrote: lol i KNEW you were a tlser. totally forwarding this post to *summer associates* tomorrow. looooool

Pretty sure not srs but still hoping you are.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu May 24, 2012 10:28 pm

Dany wrote:
fatduck wrote: lol i KNEW you were a tlser. totally forwarding this post to *summer associates* tomorrow. looooool

Pretty sure not srs but still hoping you are.

serious enough that he pmed me about it

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu May 24, 2012 10:47 pm

You're worried that you will get no-offered because you called yourself a gunner who rips pages out of library books?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu May 24, 2012 11:26 pm

Reprisal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else surprised by the extent to which using paid research tools is frowned upon?

We're on a flat rate plan, so I don't feel bad running a hundred searches a day or leaving windows open for hours when I go to lunch so that they're there when I come back.

A Lexis rep came by to hock Advance and mentioned that on a transactional basis, the firm logs a few million dollars of research every day. LOL

We are also on a flat rate plan for most case law and secondary materials, so nothing to worry about here.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu May 24, 2012 11:27 pm

haven't logged onto westlaw yet. don't even have a login tbh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 11:51 pm

Anyone deal with getting work from partners while in training? We were told our first two days would be meeting people and learning the systems and that we would get our first assignments on the third day. What should we do if associates email us asking for something while we are in training? I know we shouldn't tell them to wait, so is this where the late hours start?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Fri May 25, 2012 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone deal with getting work from partners while in training? We were told our first two days would be meeting people and learning the systems and that we would get our first assignments on the third day. What should we do if associates email us asking for something while we are in training? I know we shouldn't tell them to wait, so is this where the late hours start?

i'd love to work on your project, kind sir. I have this orientation thing to do that the firm has told me is mandatory...

something like that?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri May 25, 2012 12:06 am

It'd be a great opportunity (or whatever masturbatory comment you want to use) to work on this project with you, however we are currently in the process of training on the system and I wouldn't be available to begin work on this project until [insert day]. Would this be a possibility for you (or something else asking if the project can be started/completed at a later date)?

Return to “Legal Employment”