ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 11:13 pm

So, who loves billing in 6 minute increments?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Tue May 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, who loves billing in 6 minute increments?

Didn't really find this that bad after fearing it so long. Just turn on the timer and go to work, turn it off when you're breaking...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 22, 2012 11:31 pm

Detrox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, who loves billing in 6 minute increments?

Didn't really find this that bad after fearing it so long. Just turn on the timer and go to work, turn it off when you're breaking...

I just use a note pad. Every time I change tasks, I note the time and what's the new task. At the end of the day, spend 5 minutes figuring out the total and the codes.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue May 22, 2012 11:35 pm

excel spreadsheet is where it's at, bros

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 22, 2012 11:38 pm

fatduck wrote:excel spreadsheet is where it's at, bros

It's easier to not have to use the computer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 11:39 pm

Tomorrow should be exciting. Get to meet and work for a partner who is a notorious "screamer"
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 23, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue May 22, 2012 11:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
fatduck wrote:excel spreadsheet is where it's at, bros

It's easier to not have to use the computer.

i like it. plus i have a pivot table that constantly updates my hours per project, and shows where i am on budget, etc. and it's all there if i need to refer back to it (like when i update my resume at the end of the summer).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First day was pretty good. A lot of boring paperwork and going over billing and stuff like that, but the people at my firm are awesome. The thing that stood out to me the most was that they told us we don't have to do our own research. They said that's what law librarians are for and that our job is just to write. Is this normal? I thought half my summer was going to be aimlessly clicking around westlaw.

I did mostly research so far. I wouldn't say "aimlessly" but a lot of clicking for sure! My assignments involve a lot of specific, small issues, so I have to conduct analysis while reading/searching/learning. I don't really see how someone could research for me and I just write a report (mostly because I don't really know the issues at all so I need to do the research myself).

I have no idea how this will work in practice, maybe the person was exagerrating or maybe its something that happens later. We were all shocked when they told us that though.

I think you are overstating what "they" told you. I am at a firm now, and don't know much about it yet. However, I worked at V10 as a paralegal, and was familiar with what we used the library for. Sometimes we had to check the market volume of an index for the past few years in order to see if a company can link to it in their security offerings. Instead of spending time to find it, the library could get it in literally 2 minutes. Things like that, that require no analysis, but are often hard to find is what the library resources are used for. If you have an issue that isn't settled and you are asked to write a memo on it, the library is not going to be useful when you have to read and analyze the case law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 1:43 am

Anyone else surprised by the extent to which using paid research tools is frowned upon?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 7:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First day was pretty good. A lot of boring paperwork and going over billing and stuff like that, but the people at my firm are awesome. The thing that stood out to me the most was that they told us we don't have to do our own research. They said that's what law librarians are for and that our job is just to write. Is this normal? I thought half my summer was going to be aimlessly clicking around westlaw.

I did mostly research so far. I wouldn't say "aimlessly" but a lot of clicking for sure! My assignments involve a lot of specific, small issues, so I have to conduct analysis while reading/searching/learning. I don't really see how someone could research for me and I just write a report (mostly because I don't really know the issues at all so I need to do the research myself).

I have no idea how this will work in practice, maybe the person was exagerrating or maybe its something that happens later. We were all shocked when they told us that though.

I think you are overstating what "they" told you. I am at a firm now, and don't know much about it yet. However, I worked at V10 as a paralegal, and was familiar with what we used the library for. Sometimes we had to check the market volume of an index for the past few years in order to see if a company can link to it in their security offerings. Instead of spending time to find it, the library could get it in literally 2 minutes. Things like that, that require no analysis, but are often hard to find is what the library resources are used for. If you have an issue that isn't settled and you are asked to write a memo on it, the library is not going to be useful when you have to read and analyze the case law.

Yeah I think you are probably right, they just phrased it in such a weird way. We'll see what happens when all this training and crap is over and we actually start getting real work

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 8:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else surprised by the extent to which using paid research tools is frowned upon?

We were told that our firm has monthly billing for WL & Lexis, so not to worry about anything. Any charges that are recoverable get recovered, but for those that aren't, it's not a big deal. I was honestly surprised about how using paid research tools wasn't frowned upon, after all the build up at school and on TLS about "cost-effective research."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else surprised by the extent to which using paid research tools is frowned upon?

Yep. Got acquainted with Google+Lois Law reeeal fast.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 23, 2012 11:25 am

Had a dream last night where I fucked up billing time. I start Tuesday.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed May 23, 2012 11:27 am

rad lulz wrote:Had a dream last night where I fucked up billing time. had all of the models and bottles in the universe! I start Tuesday.

FixedThatForYou

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 23, 2012 11:41 am

fl0w wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Had a dream last night where I fucked up billing time. had all of the models and bottles in the universe! I start Tuesday.

FixedThatForYou

Mottles and baubles brother. Can't wait.

Postby 20121109 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:01 pm

Alright, really ridiculous question:

A senior associate just sent me an email with a :wink: .... Is it ever ok to send back an email with a smiley face within the office?

Sorry for the stupid question lol

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed May 23, 2012 1:19 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Alright, really ridiculous question:

A senior associate just sent me an email with a :wink: .... Is it ever ok to send back an email with a smiley face within the office?

Last edited by fl0w on Wed May 23, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:19 pm

fl0w wrote:

it's a trap.

:lol:

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed May 23, 2012 1:22 pm

I avoid smilies on principle, but if you have the itch it seems you've been given the go ahead.

turkishswat

Postby turkishswat » Wed May 23, 2012 1:24 pm

fl0w wrote:

it's a trap.

Unacceptable without Admiral Ackbar meme.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed May 23, 2012 1:50 pm

I would never send an email with a smiley face to a professional contact.

Postby 20121109 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Hahaha, thank you guys! :)

I just thought it was a little too informal! I'll err on the side of caution and follow Dany's advice!!

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed May 23, 2012 2:01 pm

turkishswat wrote:
fl0w wrote:

it's a trap.

Unacceptable without Admiral Ackbar meme.

edited for accuracy.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed May 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Even if the associate put a smiley, what would require you to reply with a smiley?

Postby 20121109 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:35 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Even if the associate put a smiley, what would require you to reply with a smiley?

Necessity was never the issue.

Return to “Legal Employment”