ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:V10 NYC (one of the nicer ones, apparently) SA. Looks like the summer is going to be a blast and pretty low stress. Everybody I've met has been terrific and it sounds like it's going to be fairly easy to get my hands on work that I want to do. Plenty of summer activities lined up, including Broadway shows, Mets games, Yankees games, Shakespeare in the Park, a pre-theater-release private screening of the Dark Knight movie, cooking classes, outdoorsy stuff, fancy dinners, etc., etc., etc. Wasn't anxious going in and nothing I've seen has changed that.

We're at the same firm! Agree that everything today confirmed my perceptions going in. Everyone has been so nice. I left today before 6pm, but not looking forward to hours of computer training!

The previous poster (yelling, working until 8-9) needs to out that firm. Sounds terrible.

Davis Polk?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel like I could stay at the firm till 7 or 8 if they didn't want us to leave around 5 or so.

A lot of us are staying at least til 7 or 8 on nights when there are no summer events.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I feel like I could stay at the firm till 7 or 8 if they didn't want us to leave around 5 or so.

A lot of us are staying at least til 7 or 8 on nights when there are no summer events.

By requirement or because you are SA gunning? There is a big difference. I was explicitly told by my firm that they did not expect their SAs there past 5 or 5:30. There may be some nights and maybe a weekend needed, but those will be few and very far between.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:V10 NYC (one of the nicer ones, apparently) SA. Looks like the summer is going to be a blast and pretty low stress. Everybody I've met has been terrific and it sounds like it's going to be fairly easy to get my hands on work that I want to do. Plenty of summer activities lined up, including Broadway shows, Mets games, Yankees games, Shakespeare in the Park, a pre-theater-release private screening of the Dark Knight movie, cooking classes, outdoorsy stuff, fancy dinners, etc., etc., etc. Wasn't anxious going in and nothing I've seen has changed that.

We're at the same firm! Agree that everything today confirmed my perceptions going in. Everyone has been so nice. I left today before 6pm, but not looking forward to hours of computer training!

The previous poster (yelling, working until 8-9) needs to out that firm. Sounds terrible.

Davis Polk?

Sure sounds like it...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Davis Polk?

Sure sounds like it...

I'm at Davis Polk also. Started last week. I wonder how many of us are on here

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon May 21, 2012 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here is one anxiety I have: $$$. Any idea when we can expect our first direct deposits? I would imagine this varies by firm, but any anecdotal info would be appreciated. Please basically how many days after your start date. $$$ is reeaaallly tight right now.

Any more info on this topic? C'mon guys, this isn't complicated.

No, it's not complicated, and neither is asking your HR Manager.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 10:41 pm

V20 in SV, started today. Each SA got their own office, new blackberry's and did nothing but eat and talk today. Looking forward to the next 10 weeks :lol:

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon May 21, 2012 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Davis Polk?

Sure sounds like it...

I'm at Davis Polk also. Started last week. I wonder how many of us are on here

So are you Davis Polk-ians confirming that the yelling happened already? Sorry if it's true! That would suck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 10:51 pm

The "sounds like Davis Polk" wasn't directed toward the yelling. It was about where one of the anon posters was. Definitely no yelling going on as far as I know.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon May 21, 2012 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The "sounds like Davis Polk" wasn't directed toward the yelling. It was about where one of the anon posters was. Definitely no yelling going on as far as I know.

Haha Good to hear!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 11:03 pm

blurbz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The "sounds like Davis Polk" wasn't directed toward the yelling. It was about where one of the anon posters was. Definitely no yelling going on as far as I know.

Haha Good to hear!

Oh yeah--I wasn't referring to the yelling. Hell, DPW associates and partners are as nice as can be. But I'm not sensing the passive-aggressive reputation that they've garnered on this here internet chatblog.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:By requirement or because you are SA gunning? There is a big difference. I was explicitly told by my firm that they did not expect their SAs there past 5 or 5:30. There may be some nights and maybe a weekend needed, but those will be few and very far between.

SA gunning? Is that a thing?

I'm the anon you quoted- the people who are staying late aren't doing it because we crave fluorescent light. There are a lot of deals ramping up and the senior associates/partners need the help. I'm still ducking out an hour or two before the real lawyers in my section.

The point was that staying til 5 or 6 ain't no thang.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 11:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I actually meant that I was happy about it! Not trying to brag..I don't even see how you could brag about that :/
Is the problem that you've never bragged before or that you're bragging all the time without even realizing it?

neither. God...forget it. :|

I am actually sincerely happy for you. I feel the same way about things I got to work on.

Thank you, r6! I'm glad someone understands that I was just being happy! :)

And yeah, I'm not even in NYC but staying to 5 or 6 is very common. Latest I stayed was 8 to take care of a few hundred shareholder packages and that was just the first week! No gunning over here; just doing what I need to do to help out!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
blurbz wrote:

Haha Good to hear!

Oh yeah--I wasn't referring to the yelling. Hell, DPW associates and partners are as nice as can be. But I'm not sensing the passive-aggressive reputation that they've garnered on this here internet chatblog.

TBF, though, it's hard to really gauge something like that as a SA. At DPW or any of our firms.

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Tue May 22, 2012 8:49 am

Not sure if this has been addressed already, but is there any consensus on what we should bring on the first day? Or do we just show up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 8:53 am

Bring I9 identification (a passport will do).

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Tue May 22, 2012 8:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bring I9 identification (a passport will do).

I did know to bring that, but should we bring a legal pad or our laptop or anything of that nature?

Postby 20121109 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:00 am

wildhaggis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bring I9 identification (a passport will do).

I did know to bring that, but should we bring a legal pad orr our laptop or anything of that nature?

They will have a plethora of legal pads in the office and I presume they give you your own office laptop, as well as a blackberry, ID card etc.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 am

3 hour conference call for training on our computer system. Went through this last year, it'll be a blast.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 9:34 pm

First day was pretty good. A lot of boring paperwork and going over billing and stuff like that, but the people at my firm are awesome. The thing that stood out to me the most was that they told us we don't have to do our own research. They said that's what law librarians are for and that our job is just to write. Is this normal? I thought half my summer was going to be aimlessly clicking around westlaw.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First day was pretty good. A lot of boring paperwork and going over billing and stuff like that, but the people at my firm are awesome. The thing that stood out to me the most was that they told us we don't have to do our own research. They said that's what law librarians are for and that our job is just to write. Is this normal? I thought half my summer was going to be aimlessly clicking around westlaw.

I did mostly research so far. I wouldn't say "aimlessly" but a lot of clicking for sure! My assignments involve a lot of specific, small issues, so I have to conduct analysis while reading/searching/learning. I don't really see how someone could research for me and I just write a report (mostly because I don't really know the issues at all so I need to do the research myself).

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue May 22, 2012 10:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:I don't really see how someone could research for me and I just write a report (mostly because I don't really know the issues at all so I need to do the research myself).

This.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 10:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First day was pretty good. A lot of boring paperwork and going over billing and stuff like that, but the people at my firm are awesome. The thing that stood out to me the most was that they told us we don't have to do our own research. They said that's what law librarians are for and that our job is just to write. Is this normal? I thought half my summer was going to be aimlessly clicking around westlaw.

I did mostly research so far. I wouldn't say "aimlessly" but a lot of clicking for sure! My assignments involve a lot of specific, small issues, so I have to conduct analysis while reading/searching/learning. I don't really see how someone could research for me and I just write a report (mostly because I don't really know the issues at all so I need to do the research myself).

I have no idea how this will work in practice, maybe the person was exagerrating or maybe its something that happens later. We were all shocked when they told us that though.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 22, 2012 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have no idea how this will work in practice, maybe the person was exagerrating or maybe its something that happens later. We were all shocked when they told us that though.

Post up when you figure out what it means. I am curious.

Honestly, I am really enjoying the research assignments. I learned more in these two weeks than I did my whole entire first semester. I am so grateful that I am being paid to learn.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 10:56 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have no idea how this will work in practice, maybe the person was exagerrating or maybe its something that happens later. We were all shocked when they told us that though.

Post up when you figure out what it means. I am curious.

Honestly, I am really enjoying the research assignments. I learned more in these two weeks than I did my whole entire first semester. I am so grateful that I am being paid to learn.

Anyone else worried that when my career at this V10 is done and I eventually open up my own shop, I'm going to be lost without the tons of tech/library/secretary support system behind me? After only a few days, I'm overwhelmed with the behind-the-scenes operations of my BigLaw firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”