ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ludo!

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Ludo! » Sun May 20, 2012 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From the posts on this thread I'm a little surprised. From my first week (V10 NYC), being a summer associate is no fucking joke. We've had people working till 8-9 at night relatively regularly and had a summer get yelled at already. I'm surprised about the respones here but maybe its just the firm/market I'm in.

What did the summer get yelled at for? Was it in front of everybody?

Postby 20121109 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From the posts on this thread I'm a little surprised. From my first week (V10 NYC), being a summer associate is no fucking joke. We've had people working till 8-9 at night relatively regularly and had a summer get yelled at already. I'm surprised about the respones here but maybe its just the firm/market I'm in.

The hell? Someone yelled at a summer in their first week? Isn't that a bit harsh considering we really have no idea what we're doing so soon?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 20, 2012 11:52 pm

has anybody found that they can finish/polish up work projects at home (not billing of course)?

Not to sound like a gunner, but I live in a Texas suburb w/ no TV and extracurricular life is boring as hell

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sun May 20, 2012 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anybody found that they can finish/polish up work projects at home (not billing of course)?

Not to sound like a gunner, but I live in a Texas suburb w/ no TV and extracurricular life is boring as hell

Why not billing? If you're doing the work, bill the time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 2:35 am

blurbz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:has anybody found that they can finish/polish up work projects at home (not billing of course)?

that defeats the purpose of bringing work home/makes me look so much less productive. And its kindof awkward to write in: 1130 pm- 1:20am on my billing record

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 6:57 am

Today is my first day - is there anything I should take with me?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:14 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:

The hell? Someone yelled at a summer in their first week? Isn't that a bit harsh considering we really have no idea what we're doing so soon?

Yeah, that whole thing sounds seriously TTT. You need to warn people away from your V10 because if it's that awful your first week as a SA, I'd imagine it must be absolute hell on earth for regular junior associates.

SFConfidential

Postby SFConfidential » Mon May 21, 2012 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
blurbz wrote:

that defeats the purpose of bringing work home/makes me look so much less productive. And its kindof awkward to write in: 1130 pm- 1:20am on my billing record

After a few months of being an actual associate, that might be a relatively common time stamp.

But seriously, bill it. Let the partner choose to write it off, don't ding it yourself.

The point of bringing work home is to allow you to work from anywhere, not to get you to stop billing but keep working. Firm doesn't even have a chance of
making any money if you are working hours for free.

Postby 20121109 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:25 am

f7 wrote:
keg411 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:

Yeah, that whole thing sounds seriously TTT. You need to warn people away from your V10 because if it's that awful your first week as a SA, I'd imagine it must be absolute hell on earth for regular junior associates.

Probably Cravath.

If it was Cravath, the poster probably would have said V5 or V3! PRESTIGE IS IMPORTANT.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:08 am

SFConfidential wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
blurbz wrote:

After a few months of being an actual associate, that might be a relatively common time stamp.

But seriously, bill it. Let the partner choose to write it off, don't ding it yourself.

The point of bringing work home is to allow you to work from anywhere, not to get you to stop billing but keep working. Firm doesn't even have a chance of
making any money if you are working hours for free.

Nobody cares about your efficiency. All you are doing is making it appear as though you are working less than you actually are.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 2:18 pm

Just met and exchanged contact information with the executive partner of my firm and the Managing Director & Deputy General Counsel of Goldman Sachs.

Today is a good day.

nymario

Postby nymario » Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just met and exchanged contact information with the executive partner of my firm and the Managing Director & Deputy General Counsel of Goldman Sachs.

Today is a good day.

I'll leave it to Neil DeGrasse Tyson to deal with this one...

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon May 21, 2012 4:00 pm

nymario wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just met and exchanged contact information with the executive partner of my firm and the Managing Director & Deputy General Counsel of Goldman Sachs.

Today is a good day.

:lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 4:18 pm

Dany wrote:
nymario wrote:

Today is a good day.

:lol:

I actually meant that I was happy about it! Not trying to brag..I don't even see how you could brag about that :/

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon May 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I actually meant that I was happy about it! Not trying to brag..I don't even see how you could brag about that :/
Is the problem that you've never bragged before or that you're bragging all the time without even realizing it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 8:41 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I actually meant that I was happy about it! Not trying to brag..I don't even see how you could brag about that :/
Is the problem that you've never bragged before or that you're bragging all the time without even realizing it?

neither. God...forget it. :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Any first day stories from the people that started today? I was supposed to start today but I'm in Chicago so the program got delayed because of the NATO summit. Did any other Chicago firms do that?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon May 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

:lol: Sorry. Sounds like you had an interesting day. No need to shit on a random stranger going through the same stressful process as I am.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon May 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Regarding the goatee question, shave it off for day one and see how the attorneys present themselves. Do what you can to fit in and not stand out for looks.... Stand out for a solid work ethic and work product though... Don't over think this too much.

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Mon May 21, 2012 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any first day stories from the people that started today? I was supposed to start today but I'm in Chicago so the program got delayed because of the NATO summit. Did any other Chicago firms do that?

I know of at least two (though you might be at one of them, conceivably).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 9:32 pm

V10 NYC (one of the nicer ones, apparently) SA. Looks like the summer is going to be a blast and pretty low stress. Everybody I've met has been terrific and it sounds like it's going to be fairly easy to get my hands on work that I want to do. Plenty of summer activities lined up, including Broadway shows, Mets games, Yankees games, Shakespeare in the Park, a pre-theater-release private screening of the Dark Knight movie, cooking classes, outdoorsy stuff, fancy dinners, etc., etc., etc. Wasn't anxious going in and nothing I've seen has changed that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:V10 NYC (one of the nicer ones, apparently) SA. Looks like the summer is going to be a blast and pretty low stress. Everybody I've met has been terrific and it sounds like it's going to be fairly easy to get my hands on work that I want to do. Plenty of summer activities lined up, including Broadway shows, Mets games, Yankees games, Shakespeare in the Park, a pre-theater-release private screening of the Dark Knight movie, cooking classes, outdoorsy stuff, fancy dinners, etc., etc., etc. Wasn't anxious going in and nothing I've seen has changed that.

We're at the same firm! Agree that everything today confirmed my perceptions going in. Everyone has been so nice. I left today before 6pm, but not looking forward to hours of computer training!

The previous poster EDIT- who works at a firm other than Davis Polk- (yelling, working until 8-9) needs to out that firm. Sounds terrible.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon May 21, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon May 21, 2012 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

I am actually sincerely happy for you. I feel the same way about things I got to work on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:V10 NYC (one of the nicer ones, apparently) SA. Looks like the summer is going to be a blast and pretty low stress. Everybody I've met has been terrific and it sounds like it's going to be fairly easy to get my hands on work that I want to do. Plenty of summer activities lined up, including Broadway shows, Mets games, Yankees games, Shakespeare in the Park, a pre-theater-release private screening of the Dark Knight movie, cooking classes, outdoorsy stuff, fancy dinners, etc., etc., etc. Wasn't anxious going in and nothing I've seen has changed that.

We're at the same firm! Agree that everything today confirmed my perceptions going in. Everyone has been so nice. I left today before 6pm, but not looking forward to hours of computer training!

The previous poster (yelling, working until 8-9) needs to out that firm. Sounds terrible.

Yeah, from what I've gathered, summer associates leaving at or before six is definitely not going to be out of the ordinary, even as the summer progresses. Glad to hear that you're happy with your choice of firm. Looks like we've got a pretty good group of people this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 10:05 pm

Anyone else already almost tired in a way?

I've billed 8+ hours since I started working and have been doing substantive work the entire time. It's almost as grueling as gunning it up during the school year.

I mean, this is not a bitching post. I actually LIKE the work and I don't mind being tired by it. But it is certainly nice to come home and rest for a bit. I feel like I could stay at the firm till 7 or 8 if they didn't want us to leave around 5 or so.

Return to “Legal Employment”