ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTH

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:42 pm

bjsesq wrote:
My dad works in an auto parts store. Any of you want a new muffler?

You know . . . people always need cars.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:43 pm

rad lulz wrote:No offer diaries, Day 1: I have to buy Drain-O because I threw up in my sink last night after I racked up a $65 bar tab.

Only $65? Don't any of you have any money?

Also, glad to hear some things never change bro. Mental images and sounds of you puking your guts out are returning. :lol:

Seriously though bro, shitty sitch right now but I am really confident you'll be alright.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
rad lulz wrote:No offer diaries, Day 1: I have to buy Drain-O because I threw up in my sink last night after I racked up a $65 bar tab.

Also, glad to hear some things never change bro. Mental images and sounds of you puking your guts out are returning. :lol:

Seriously though bro, shitty sitch right now but I am really confident you'll be alright.

I'm trying to stay positive, but I know deep down that I very well may not be alright.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:46 pm

TTH wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I am gonna open the country's first one stop shop for brothel/auto dealership. Gonna call it Handjobs and Hondas.

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I remember going to trial in the midwest and a big group of us went to a bar for some drinks the Saturday night before trial started. We ordered four cocktails, a few beers, and a shot of cuervo. Total bill: $35. When I said something like, "$35?!!" the bartender responded, "Well, you got so many drinks, so that's why it costs so much."

"That's not what I m---nevermind. Thanks."

tl;dr: $65 can do a lot of damage.

Incidentally, sorry to those with bad news on this thread. This sucks but it does not define you as a person.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:49 pm

bjsesq wrote:
TTH wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I am gonna open the country's first one stop shop for brothel/auto dealership. Gonna call it Handjobs and Hondas.

I'm not sure which of those is less attractive.

I'm trying to figure out what skills and connections of my father's I could latch onto, but I already hold my booze well enough and know plenty of cops. Ah well.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Loose Seal wrote:I remember going to trial in the midwest and a big group of us went to a bar for some drinks the Saturday night before trial started. We ordered four cocktails, a few beers, and a shot of cuervo. Total bill: $35. When I said something like, "$35?!!" the bartender responded, "Well, you got so many drinks, so that's why it costs so much."

"Don't any of you have money?" is a TLS meme, I was just being sarcastic. Incidentally, I think I spent exactly $65 at the bars last night (also a Midwesterner).

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Loose Seal wrote:I remember going to trial in the midwest and a big group of us went to a bar for some drinks the Saturday night before trial started. We ordered four cocktails, a few beers, and a shot of cuervo. Total bill: $35. When I said something like, "$35?!!" the bartender responded, "Well, you got so many drinks, so that's why it costs so much."

"Don't any of you have money?" is a TLS meme, I was just being sarcastic. Incidentally, I think I spent exactly $65 at the bars last night (also a Midwesterner).

I figured you were being sarcastic since you expressed sympathy earlier, but didn't realize I was missing a meme. Thx.

Gotta love the Midwest. I spent $25 on two trendy but crappy cocktails last night and still felt like I was getting a bargain.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:42 pm

bjsesq wrote:So, the firm no-offered roughly 1/3 of a large class.

That's insane. :(

And Stanny, that seriously sucks about your entire situation, especially with the leadership that you were close with leaving between your 1L summer and now. Have you considered reaching out to any of them at their new firms?

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:51 pm

ATL just ran an article about stealth layoffs/summer no-offers at Winston...sounds like the situation might be pretty rough there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:37 pm

IAFG wrote:I am not upset firms no-offer. They're entitled. I'm mad they no-offer because they over-hired or are struggling but then say that's not why.

It would be okay for firms to no offer if students still had shots at getting hired elsewhere. The awful hiring system is what screws everything up.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:52 pm

keg411 wrote:

And Stanny, that seriously sucks about your entire situation, especially with the leadership that you were close with leaving between your 1L summer and now. Have you considered reaching out to any of them at their new firms?

One went in-house at a company I wouldn't be about to work at now, another left Texas for the West Coast, another went to another firm that doesn't have a transactional practice (lolwut) in the city's office.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
keg411 wrote:

One went in-house at a company I wouldn't be about to work at now, another left Texas for the West Coast, another went to another firm that doesn't have a transactional practice (lolwut) in the city's office.

This one is a sign :D.

But seriously :( :( :(.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Yeah, boy do I regret that now. I won't get too specific, but a lot of partners who were in leadership positions during my 1L summer, and who knew the quality of my work/developed a good relationship with me ended up leaving the firm over the past year, and our office is large enough that a lot of the people I met this summer I didn't meet last summer.

For those who asked, I messed up a project early on in the summer--thought I had a clear understanding, updated the partner on my progress, found out I was going in the totally wrong direction and ended up missing the deadline. The partner was a super important partner...very very important. Since pretty much every one of my projects this summer was long term (this was the only one with a quick turn around), I didn't have a chance to fully redeem myself.

If I don't hear anything shortly, I'm going to use some of my dad's connections. One of his clients is a partner at a mid-law ($145) firm and has been keeping track of my progress (of course my dad didn't tell me any of this until I told him about my situation).

To your credit, you sound pretty mature/self-aware about the whole thing. Good luck.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Loose Seal wrote:

ATL just ran an article about stealth layoffs/summer no-offers at Winston...sounds like the situation might be pretty rough there.

You Winston, you lose some. *rimshot

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:38 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Loose Seal wrote:

You Winston, you lose strawn. *rimshot

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:Now that I've gotten over the embarrassment, I was cold offered at my firm. It was my fault, and I suspected it would happen about halfway through the summer. I kind of have some options, we'll see what happens.

wow, man, i'm sorry. weren't you with this firm as a 1L, too? i thought i remembered you posting that you weren't going through OCI last year bc you were sticking with the firm from 1L summer.

Yeah, boy do I regret that now. I won't get too specific, but a lot of partners who were in leadership positions during my 1L summer, and who knew the quality of my work/developed a good relationship with me ended up leaving the firm over the past year, and our office is large enough that a lot of the people I met this summer I didn't meet last summer.

For those who asked, I messed up a project early on in the summer--thought I had a clear understanding, updated the partner on my progress, found out I was going in the totally wrong direction and ended up missing the deadline. The partner was a super important partner...very very important. Since pretty much every one of my projects this summer was long term (this was the only one with a quick turn around), I didn't have a chance to fully redeem myself.

If I don't hear anything shortly, I'm going to use some of my dad's connections. One of his clients is a partner at a mid-law ($145) firm and has been keeping track of my progress (of course my dad didn't tell me any of this until I told him about my situation).

Edit: At least I knew this was coming, and it was a legitimate reason on the firm's part. I didn't have a good summer. One of my friends, however, got no-offered for something based loosely on "fit." Didn't find out about it until the firm called to share the bad news at the end of the summer.

Damn. I feel for you, dawg. Hopefully pops comes through and puts you on. Fortunate to have him as a resource.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:03 pm

After talking to people at my firms, I don't think it was anything I did wrong at either place. I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:15 pm

rad lulz wrote:After talking to people at my firms, I don't think it was anything I did wrong at either place. I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

Better. Now you don't have to blame yourself, and you can vent your frustration at others. I know I'm going to be livid if it turns out that way for me, but I'd rather be angry than feel worthless. I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm headed for the same fate, so I'm mentally preparing for it.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:After talking to people at my firms, I don't think it was anything I did wrong at either place. I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

Better, since you might get that question in interviews going forward. Try to get someone you liked as a reference to go to bat for you.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:24 pm

f7 wrote:
los blancos wrote:

Better. Now you don't have to blame yourself, and you can vent your frustration at others. I know I'm going to be livid if it turns out that way for me, but I'd rather be angry than feel worthless. I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm headed for the same fate, so I'm mentally preparing for it.

Unless it's a personality ding.

It wasn't that, unless they lied.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:43 pm

rad lulz wrote:
f7 wrote:
los blancos wrote:

Unless it's a personality ding.

It wasn't that, unless they lied.

I wonder to what extent firms tell the truth about this stuff. A friend who SAed at a midlaw firm in CA told me he asked his hiring partner why both of the previous summer's SAs were no-offered, and the partner apparently said that one had bad work product and the other had character issues. But would the hiring partner even tell the truth if the reason was economics?

(I'm not saying rad was no-offered for any reason that is his fault; rather, I'm wondering to what extent these firms provide honest answers to these questions)

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:15 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Loose Seal wrote:

We lol'd

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:17 pm

IAFG wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Loose Seal wrote:

We lol'd

I'm assuming you meant your babby and you can't convince me otherwise.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:15 pm

bjsesq wrote:I am gonna open the country's first one stop shop for brothel/auto dealership. Gonna call it Handjobs and Hondas.

Auto dealership... or BODYshop?
"Happy Endings Refurbishing - you AND your car will leave, glowing!"

Return to “Legal Employment”