ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:48 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Just got no-offered from both summer firms. Won't say the reason or the firms for fear of being outed. But that's it. Got the closure on the summer I wanted.

I think I am taking the night to wallow in self pity and booze. Tomorrow it's back to business.

My plan as well.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:02 pm

rad lulz wrote:Just got no-offered from both summer firms. Won't say the reason or the firms for fear of being outed. But that's it. Got the closure on the summer I wanted.

JFC, sorry, brother rad. Excuse my ignorance, but are you 1L or 2L?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:

2L. So basically the worst has happened.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:08 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:

2L. So basically the worst has happened.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:10 pm

I am sorry to hear about all the bad news. I know you all took your summer work seriously and am definitely surprised it turned out this way. Good luck with the hustling.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:10 pm

You're going to win, bro.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:15 pm

PennBull wrote:

You're going to win, bro.

Maybe I won't. I've seen the numbers. That's the scary part. I've seen the numbers and I'm terrified.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:20 pm

I will say for all you wonderers out there that at least at one firm (with no comment on the other one way or the other) that it was NOT my fault at my first half.

Edit: that I got no offered I mean.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Haven't posted in forever, but thought I should add this:

I got no offered beginning of this month. Have been mass mailing steadily over the past few weeks. Have one telephone screener and one callback scheduled. I know of at least four firms through word of mouth (classmates are wonderful, don't be ashamed to talk to them) that have openings for 3Ls that aren't publicized.

There's hope out there. Take the night off, take enough time that you don't sound bitter and that your cover letter is amazing. Then get moving - there are firms out there that are hiring.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:38 pm

rad lulz wrote:I will say for all you wonderers out there that at least at one firm (with no comment on the other one way or the other) that it was NOT my fault at my first half.

Edit: that I got no offered I mean.

Do you have any advice for 2Ls contemplating a split summer? The usual question is: Will going with two firms double my odds of an offer or reduce each firm's perception of my commitment to them?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Damn, some rough news for some good folks. Best of luck to you guys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:55 pm

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:57 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:Do you have any advice for 2Ls contemplating a split summer? The usual question is: Will going with two firms double my odds of an offer or reduce each firm's perception of my commitment to them?

Rad had mentioned that Southern law firms tend to insist/require half summer programs, and so his hand was forced and did a split summer. I'm not so sure he would recommend it, but I'm 90% sure he had to do it.

I'll let rad answer for sure
, but I'm pretty sure I got that right...if you're interested in splitting, I'm pretty sure that's the sitch that rad was in.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:08 pm

All the no offers in this thread make me want to drop out.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 pm

PennBull wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:Do you have any advice for 2Ls contemplating a split summer? The usual question is: Will going with two firms double my odds of an offer or reduce each firm's perception of my commitment to them?

Rad had mentioned that Southern law firms tend to insist/require half summer programs, and so his hand was forced and did a split summer. I'm not so sure he would recommend it, but I'm 90% sure he had to do it.

, but I'm pretty sure I got that right...if you're interested in splitting, I'm pretty sure that's the sitch that rad was in.

I know that's the southern tradition, but I'm wondering if you should split with someone who would never hire you, like a judge or an agency, to prove how committed you are to a particular firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:30 pm

PennBull wrote:

You are really not "forced" into a half summer program--it's just that many southern firms only offer 6-8 weeks.

I can't speak to Rad's situation, but I can offer input from what I know. I know people who got no offered from southern firms who did 8 weeks (and no other firm second half) and those who split doing 6 weeks. The one who split managed to get an offer from the other firm they split with. The one who did not split did not have that luxury. My advice is if you are in a southern market that still does split summers, then do it if you have the opportunity. I sincerely doubt it will hurt you chances at either firm, since the dates should not conflict if you get a first half and second half firm. Firms in non-splitting markets may not like this as much, but firms within markets that split typically have no problem with it. And it's better to get two bites at the apple rather than just one.

LawIdiot86 wrote:
I know that's the southern tradition, but I'm wondering if you should split with someone who would never hire you, like a judge or an agency, to prove how committed you are to a particular firm.

I don't know anyone who was no-offered because of commitment issues. Work product or fit were the main cited causes. Fit might be helped by an extra few weeks; same with work product. On the other hand, I know multiple people no-offered because of "work product" issues that involved only 1 or 2 assignments (and thus the extra time could potentially screw you over).

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:08 pm

TTH wrote:I can't claim it was an entire surprise. I was at a smaller firm that I knew might not be able to commit to making me a full-time offer next year just because they may not have a spot for me. That's exactly what happened, according to the hiring partner and managing partner. My WP was great, people liked me, etc. Gonna try to find out if someone put the kibosh on me that I don't know about, but I don't think that's the case.

Now I'm scared shitless.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:23 pm

Im fucking watded but if you're at a frm that doesnt normaally split then aksing them to split ma be a bad idea but if you're at two firms that only offer half summers then go for it brehhhh. Or some shit. What the fuck do i kow im im just some wasted no offered summer FUCK YOU LAW SCHOOL

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:28 pm

los blancos wrote:
TTH wrote:I can't claim it was an entire surprise. I was at a smaller firm that I knew might not be able to commit to making me a full-time offer next year just because they may not have a spot for me. That's exactly what happened, according to the hiring partner and managing partner. My WP was great, people liked me, etc. Gonna try to find out if someone put the kibosh on me that I don't know about, but I don't think that's the case.

Now I'm scared shitless.

I found out the day before the last day that my associate-mentor had thrown me under the bus, bad-mouthing me to some partners on my fit. I still got an offer, but only by begging.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:48 pm

rad lulz wrote:Im fucking watded but if you're at a frm that doesnt normaally split then aksing them to split ma be a bad idea but if you're at two firms that only offer half summers then go for it brehhhh. Or some shit. What the fuck do i kow im im just some wasted no offered summer FUCK YOU LAW SCHOOL

pouring one out for you homie

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
los blancos wrote:

Now I'm scared shitless.

I found out the day before the last day that my associate-mentor had thrown me under the bus, bad-mouthing me to some partners on my fit. I still got an offer, but only by begging.

Maybe I should've begged more... please describe your approach.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:11 am

EvilClinton wrote:All the no offers in this thread make me want to drop out.

These last few pages are causing me to freak out now.

spets

Postby spets » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:15 am

Damn... I've been following this thread from the beginning, and shit just got real :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
los blancos wrote:

Now I'm scared shitless.

Maybe I should've begged more... please describe your approach.

I went to the senior partner and asked for his feedback on the summer. When he vaguely referenced the concerns, I directly stated the situations I knew the associate had mentioned, apologized for being so awkward and a bad fit, and committed to changing who I was to better match what they wanted. I bluntly expressed my desire that working at firm was the number one goal in my life and that it superseded all other commitments or goals that might interfere with being totally dedicated to their every need.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:11 am

Now that I've gotten over the embarrassment, I was cold offered at my firm. It was my fault, and I suspected it would happen about halfway through the summer. I kind of have some options, we'll see what happens.

Return to “Legal Employment”