ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
DreamsInDigital
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby DreamsInDigital » Thu May 17, 2012 8:34 am

r6_philly wrote:
Make sure you ask question from day one about anything you don't understand. The attorneys may understand that you know nothing, but you have to remind them what you don't know. Don't take the assignment not understanding thoroughly how you are supposed to do it.


Solid advice. I've usually been pretty good at asking when I don't understand something and I have to make sure that I don't change that to try to seem like a bad ass this summer.

Dany wrote:Sort of the same here. Small-medium sized firm and I'm freaking out because I don't know how to do... well, anything. Had training today but it was just showing me around the firm (and my office 8) ) and teaching me how to use the firm software and documents and stuff. And re-learning how to use Windows. I start in a couple weeks.


I makes me feel better that you feel the same way I do. That means that it's common, so firms expect us to know nothing. Therefore, there's nothing to worry about and we will kick ass this summer :D

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby keg411 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:26 am

hallet wrote:Did everyone get a start date email, such as what time to be there and other specific work stuff? I got my offer and other informational questions, but I still haven't heard anything about starting time and I start on Monday.


I just got mine yesterday late afternoon, but I was planning to send recruiting an e-mail Friday morning if I hadn't heard by then (Monday start).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273270
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Wow does time fly in a law firm.

My experience thus far:

So far I've been coming in around 8:30 and leaving by 6:30.

Because I am summering at my #1 dream firm, working in the law firm has been both terrifying and absolutely satisfying. First day I walked down the hallway and introduced myself to several neighboring attorneys. I am not a very social person, but I am proactively asking attorneys for lunch dates and going on every social event scheduled. I am also taking every chance to meet attorneys. I do not want to have a day where I each lunch alone at my office.

Today, I lost a few hours of work after I stupidly overwrote a folder with an empty folder from my USB. I was tired. Thankfully the material is still fresh in my head.

Initially my firm gives out 2-3 assignments in the beginning, but then they indirectly encourage us to seek work. Yesterday I received my second assignment from a 5th year associate asking me to analyze an issue the associate didn't think the contract addressed. After reading the contract, I realized the associate overlooked a provision that directly addressed the issue. I was happy that I caught the issue, but I was sad that I didn't get to analyze it.

I was nervous that I was running out of work, so I solicited a few partners I met at a previous networking firm event for more work. They all replied. Now I'm nervous that I took on too much. I have about 4-5 matters I'm working on with a few short deadlines. One of the matters is extremely complicated, due by the end of tomorrow.

The most difficult part is not being overwhelmed and finding a way to systematically produce excellent work so that partners come back to me for more assignments.

I am working extra hard because I feel I am under qualified. I shouldn't have received an offer at this firm because my credentials are on the lowest end of the spectrum of the firm's attorneys, despite being above top 10% at my school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273270
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow does time fly in a law firm.

My experience thus far:

So far I've been coming in around 8:30 and leaving by 6:30.

Because I am summering at my #1 dream firm, working in the law firm has been both terrifying and absolutely satisfying. First day I walked down the hallway and introduced myself to several neighboring attorneys. I am not a very social person, but I am proactively asking attorneys for lunch dates and going on every social event scheduled. I am also taking every chance to meet attorneys. I do not want to have a day where I each lunch alone at my office.

Today, I lost a few hours of work after I stupidly overwrote a folder with an empty folder from my USB. I was tired. Thankfully the material is still fresh in my head.

Initially my firm gives out 2-3 assignments in the beginning, but then they indirectly encourage us to seek work. Yesterday I received my second assignment from a 5th year associate asking me to analyze an issue the associate didn't think the contract addressed. After reading the contract, I realized the associate overlooked a provision that directly addressed the issue. I was happy that I caught the issue, but I was sad that I didn't get to analyze it.

I was nervous that I was running out of work, so I solicited a few partners I met at a previous networking firm event for more work. They all replied. Now I'm nervous that I took on too much. I have about 4-5 matters I'm working on with a few short deadlines. One of the matters is extremely complicated, due by the end of tomorrow.

The most difficult part is not being overwhelmed and finding a way to systematically produce excellent work so that partners come back to me for more assignments.

I am working extra hard because I feel I am under qualified. I shouldn't have received an offer at this firm because my credentials are on the lowest end of the spectrum of the firm's attorneys, despite being above top 10% at my school.

Wow, you sound almost like me during my 2L SA summer. I will give you the constructive criticism that was given to me in my exist/offer interview: have more self-confidence.

Don't worry so much! And when you are asked if you're available for more work (because if you do a good job these associates/partners will give you more work), and if you are swamped or super busy, say "I have X, Y, Z on my plate due on A, B, C but I will be happy to work on your project as soon as I finish one of these. Would that work for you?" You're letting them know how busy you are while also not refusing work.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby ran12 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:20 pm

So is general consensus show up about half an hour before the time they told you, at least on the first day?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273270
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2012 11:26 pm

it is-except my firm called me and told me to come in at 845 ( i normally start at 815 due to the office manager having a dr.
s app't and will be late)

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri May 18, 2012 12:44 am

Posted this as it's own topic but realized that was kinda dumb and that I could probably get more people to respond here.

This is one of my anxieties:Facial Hair

I wanted people's opinions on sporting a goatee at a SA postion.

I don't grow much facial hair but I can grow a goatee. But it's not super thick and I don't feel like it is overbearing on my appearance. I feel like if I met a stranger and we talked for 3 minutes and then they left my presence and someone asked them if I had any facial hair, they probably would be like, "I think so." I look strange and don't feel comfortable clean-shaven. However, to be fair, I played it safe on the interview and went with the clean-shaven look and hey, I can't complain with the results. However, there is no proof that I wouldn't have been offered had I kept a nicely trimmed goatee. I also thought I looked like a turtle for the 10 days or so.

If you can't already tell from my screen name, I'm black and therefore I feel like there is a little more leeway with facial hair. Additionally, one of the 2 year associates (black male) that took me out to lunch on my interview had a goatee. It was very thin, but it suited him very well. I think he would look better with it than without. So do you think It is worth it to try to sport it this summer for the sake of being more comfortable in my own skin OR is it not worth the risk of rubbing a partner the wrong way and not getting an offer and ending up in my mama's basement for the rest of my life? The firm seems pretty chill. V100...secondary market.


Has this been covered before on TLS? Probably, but I couldn't find the threads so please save the "search function" comments. Thanks!

TL; DR - goatee or no goatee?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby r6_philly » Fri May 18, 2012 12:52 am

I'd go with no. You know me, I cut my hair and I shave everyday. Everyone is pretty clean cut in my office, especially the younger associates.

I think you can get away with it, definitely, but I doubt they would say anything if they do care. Anything to consider: if you shaved during your callback, you might not want to start growing now. Again it will probably not prevent you from getting an offer, but maybe some people will care yet you will not know it bothers them. Personally I will stick to what I looked like during my callback until I start as a first year.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri May 18, 2012 2:26 am

r6_philly wrote:I'd go with no. You know me, I cut my hair and I shave everyday. Everyone is pretty clean cut in my office, especially the younger associates.

I think you can get away with it, definitely, but I doubt they would say anything if they do care. Anything to consider: if you shaved during your callback, you might not want to start growing now. Again it will probably not prevent you from getting an offer, but maybe some people will care yet you will not know it bothers them. Personally I will stick to what I looked like during my callback until I start as a first year.


Appreciate the response man. As of right now I am persuaded to shave the chin and goatee part, but I really am interested in keeping my mustache. I just don't feel right without it. Does anyone else have any opinions on this?

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:50 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I'd go with no. You know me, I cut my hair and I shave everyday. Everyone is pretty clean cut in my office, especially the younger associates.

I think you can get away with it, definitely, but I doubt they would say anything if they do care. Anything to consider: if you shaved during your callback, you might not want to start growing now. Again it will probably not prevent you from getting an offer, but maybe some people will care yet you will not know it bothers them. Personally I will stick to what I looked like during my callback until I start as a first year.


Appreciate the response man. As of right now I am persuaded to shave the chin and goatee part, but I really am interested in keeping my mustache. I just don't feel right without it. Does anyone else have any opinions on this?


I would say shave it off. You feel weird because you've spent time living with it and seeing people's responses in different situations. They haven't. They may be jerks, insecure, old-fashioned, whatever. They can't fault you if you are clean shaven, but all you need is one partner who decides he just doesn't feel right about you to give you a 3 (or whatever the ranking is) to hurt your odds.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri May 18, 2012 2:51 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I'd go with no. You know me, I cut my hair and I shave everyday. Everyone is pretty clean cut in my office, especially the younger associates.

I think you can get away with it, definitely, but I doubt they would say anything if they do care. Anything to consider: if you shaved during your callback, you might not want to start growing now. Again it will probably not prevent you from getting an offer, but maybe some people will care yet you will not know it bothers them. Personally I will stick to what I looked like during my callback until I start as a first year.


Appreciate the response man. As of right now I am persuaded to shave the chin and goatee part, but I really am interested in keeping my mustache. I just don't feel right without it. Does anyone else have any opinions on this?


I would say shave it off. You feel weird because you've spent time living with it and seeing people's responses in different situations. They haven't. They may be jerks, insecure, old-fashioned, whatever. They can't fault you if you are clean shaven, but all you need is one partner who decides he just doesn't feel right about you to give you a 3 (or whatever the ranking is) to hurt your odds.


Guess it's a no-go on getting "Not Guilty" tattooed on my knuckles this summer too, huh?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273270
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2012 3:20 pm

Here is one anxiety I have: $$$. Any idea when we can expect our first direct deposits? I would imagine this varies by firm, but any anecdotal info would be appreciated. Please basically how many days after your start date. $$$ is reeaaallly tight right now.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri May 18, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri May 18, 2012 3:37 pm

IIRC last summer, my firm did it bi-weekly but did a special first week paycheck to give us cash to get the summer started. Definitely varies by firm, though.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby r6_philly » Fri May 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here is one anxiety I have: $$$. Any idea when we can expect our first direct deposits? I would imagine this varies by firm, but any anecdotal info would be appreciated. Please basically how many days after your start date. $$$ is reeaaallly tight right now.


Got a paper check today, we are paid weekly. Direct deposit takes a while to go live but you will have paper check before on the day you Are supposed to be paid

Anonymous User
Posts: 273270
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2012 4:57 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here is one anxiety I have: $$$. Any idea when we can expect our first direct deposits? I would imagine this varies by firm, but any anecdotal info would be appreciated. Please basically how many days after your start date. $$$ is reeaaallly tight right now.


Got a paper check today, we are paid weekly. Direct deposit takes a while to go live but you will have paper check before on the day you Are supposed to be paid

Is this your first week?

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby swc65 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here is one anxiety I have: $$$. Any idea when we can expect our first direct deposits? I would imagine this varies by firm, but any anecdotal info would be appreciated. Please basically how many days after your start date. $$$ is reeaaallly tight right now.


Got a paper check today, we are paid weekly. Direct deposit takes a while to go live but you will have paper check before on the day you Are supposed to be paid



I Looooove paper checks. I don't know what it is exactly. I think the paper check + depositing yourself just makes getting paid to do something feel more real/satisfying.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby de5igual » Fri May 18, 2012 6:26 pm

swc65 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here is one anxiety I have: $$$. Any idea when we can expect our first direct deposits? I would imagine this varies by firm, but any anecdotal info would be appreciated. Please basically how many days after your start date. $$$ is reeaaallly tight right now.


Got a paper check today, we are paid weekly. Direct deposit takes a while to go live but you will have paper check before on the day you Are supposed to be paid



I Looooove paper checks. I don't know what it is exactly. I think the paper check + depositing yourself just makes getting paid to do something feel more real/satisfying.


unless you had an e-bank account and have to jump through hoops to deposit physical checks :?

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri May 18, 2012 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here is one anxiety I have: $$$. Any idea when we can expect our first direct deposits? I would imagine this varies by firm, but any anecdotal info would be appreciated. Please basically how many days after your start date. $$$ is reeaaallly tight right now.



Really bro?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273270
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2012 6:56 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here is one anxiety I have: $$$. Any idea when we can expect our first direct deposits? I would imagine this varies by firm, but any anecdotal info would be appreciated. Please basically how many days after your start date. $$$ is reeaaallly tight right now.



Really bro?

Yes. Your point?

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby ben4847 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:28 pm

So anxious. Should I get the steak again, or should I try the lobster?

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby blurbz » Fri May 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here is one anxiety I have: $$$. Any idea when we can expect our first direct deposits? I would imagine this varies by firm, but any anecdotal info would be appreciated. Please basically how many days after your start date. $$$ is reeaaallly tight right now.



Really bro?

Yes. Your point?


Same. It's not the amount that has me worried: once we start getting paid it'll be golden. It's just that I'm living on fumes and I have two rents due in early June so that first check is really going to come in handy...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273270
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Mine starts in two weeks. Just got back my grades and I ended up with the lowest grade on the curve in one class. Overall my GPA didn't change and the grade isn't actually noticeable because the curve in this class was A to B+, but I know I was well below the firm's usual to begin with and it puts me middle of the class at a lower T14. I'm super nervous that I'll start and they'll realize what a huge mistake it was because I'm actually as marginally qualified as my GPA and law school performance would indicate. I know that a no-offer is the kiss of death and I'm convinced that my mediocre record in law school makes me the type of person who won't be able to cut it in biglaw, even though that is my goal in life and the entire reason I went to law school.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby ben4847 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mine starts in two weeks. Just got back my grades and I ended up with the lowest grade on the curve in one class. Overall my GPA didn't change and the grade isn't actually noticeable because the curve in this class was A to B+, but I know I was well below the firm's usual to begin with and it puts me middle of the class at a lower T14. I'm super nervous that I'll start and they'll realize what a huge mistake it was because I'm actually as marginally qualified as my GPA and law school performance would indicate. I know that a no-offer is the kiss of death and I'm convinced that my mediocre record in law school makes me the type of person who won't be able to cut it in biglaw, even though that is my goal in life and the entire reason I went to law school.


There are very few firms where GPA makes a difference once you are hired. And the biggest one just collapsed.
Hmm, maybe that is why the collapsed.

User avatar
Bigbub75
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Bigbub75 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:00 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Posted this as it's own topic but realized that was kinda dumb and that I could probably get more people to respond here.

This is one of my anxieties:Facial Hair

I wanted people's opinions on sporting a goatee at a SA postion.

I don't grow much facial hair but I can grow a goatee. But it's not super thick and I don't feel like it is overbearing on my appearance. I feel like if I met a stranger and we talked for 3 minutes and then they left my presence and someone asked them if I had any facial hair, they probably would be like, "I think so." I look strange and don't feel comfortable clean-shaven. However, to be fair, I played it safe on the interview and went with the clean-shaven look and hey, I can't complain with the results. However, there is no proof that I wouldn't have been offered had I kept a nicely trimmed goatee. I also thought I looked like a turtle for the 10 days or so.

If you can't already tell from my screen name, I'm black and therefore I feel like there is a little more leeway with facial hair. Additionally, one of the 2 year associates (black male) that took me out to lunch on my interview had a goatee. It was very thin, but it suited him very well. I think he would look better with it than without. So do you think It is worth it to try to sport it this summer for the sake of being more comfortable in my own skin OR is it not worth the risk of rubbing a partner the wrong way and not getting an offer and ending up in my mama's basement for the rest of my life? The firm seems pretty chill. V100...secondary market.


Has this been covered before on TLS? Probably, but I couldn't find the threads so please save the "search function" comments. Thanks!

TL; DR - goatee or no goatee?


Other than the associate who took you to lunch, any others with facial hair? I think this is probably the best test as to whether its acceptable. Not saying that you get a pass because you are black, but I do agree with your leeway comment. Many of the black males I have met in Biglaw have some type of facial hair.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273270
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2012 8:01 pm

ben4847 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mine starts in two weeks. Just got back my grades and I ended up with the lowest grade on the curve in one class. Overall my GPA didn't change and the grade isn't actually noticeable because the curve in this class was A to B+, but I know I was well below the firm's usual to begin with and it puts me middle of the class at a lower T14. I'm super nervous that I'll start and they'll realize what a huge mistake it was because I'm actually as marginally qualified as my GPA and law school performance would indicate. I know that a no-offer is the kiss of death and I'm convinced that my mediocre record in law school makes me the type of person who won't be able to cut it in biglaw, even though that is my goal in life and the entire reason I went to law school.


There are very few firms where GPA makes a difference once you are hired. And the biggest one just collapsed.
Hmm, maybe that is why the collapsed.


I know the GPA doesn't matter; it actually went up overall this semester. I'm just worried that the poor writing skills and poor legal analysis that got me to the middle of the class at my law school and that I haven't overcome, despite taking classes and internships to improve those skills, will screw me out of my one opportunity to get into biglaw permanently.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.