ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Missed a call that was presumably my offer/no-offer. The caller left no message. Oh, the suspense!
Did you call back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:50 am

Stessed out: Left firm without an offer (but not a no offer) on last day. Had great reviews throughout and an offer seemed nearly certain for a few reasons.........it just never came. HP said I should hear within a few weeks. I have been kicking myself for not bidding for 3L LOLCI, but I just checked the employers doing 3L LOLCI and I didn't miss out on anything. I guess I will hang for a bit and then begin mega mass mailings if I don't hear a peep soon. FML. Congrats to all who have heard. I hope to join you soon.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Stessed out: Left firm without an offer (but not a no offer) on last day. Had great reviews throughout and an offer seemed nearly certain for a few reasons.........it just never came. HP said I should hear within a few weeks. I have been kicking myself for not bidding for 3L LOLCI, but I just checked the employers doing 3L LOLCI and I didn't miss out on anything. I guess I will hang for a bit and then begin mega mass mailings if I don't hear a peep soon. FML. Congrats to all who have heard. I hope to join you soon.
Go ahead and start brother. You can always withdraw if anyone gives you an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:50 am

My firm said it's probably going to be around 2 weeks after we leave before we get offers, just because of the administrative hoops that have to be jumped through before any offers are given.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm said it's probably going to be around 2 weeks after we leave before we get offers, just because of the administrative hoops that have to be jumped through before any offers are given.
"Administrative hoops" sounds like BS. Plenty of firms don't have a problem with giving offers even before the summer associates leave.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My firm said it's probably going to be around 2 weeks after we leave before we get offers, just because of the administrative hoops that have to be jumped through before any offers are given.
"Administrative hoops" sounds like BS. Plenty of firms don't have a problem with giving offers even before the summer associates leave.
This. Sadly, I am in this position. But I agree completely.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A week to collect evaluations and the hiring committee meeting the week after sucks, but it's not unreasonable.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:24 pm

rad lulz wrote: A week to collect evaluations and the hiring committee meeting the week after sucks, but it's not unreasonable.
What about 3-4 weeks?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:39 pm

r6_philly wrote:
rad lulz wrote: A week to collect evaluations and the hiring committee meeting the week after sucks, but it's not unreasonable.
What about 3-4 weeks?
I had a 3 week wait last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:40 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Did it turn out to be 100%? I guess some firms just take longer?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
Did it turn out to be 100%? I guess some firms just take longer?
Yes. Had the "administrative hoops" to get through plus various hiring committee members were on trials or on vacation.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:46 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Yes. Had the "administrative hoops" to get through plus various hiring committee members were on trials or on vacation.
Makes sense. Thanks for the info. Back to waiting!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:09 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A week to collect evaluations and the hiring committee meeting the week after sucks, but it's not unreasonable.
If every firm did it, then I might agree. If some firms have the ability to give offers before SAs leave (or a couple days after they go), then most / all other firms should be able to do this as well. It just seems like the considerate thing to do, especially with the end of summer butting up against 3L OCI season.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:28 am

I'm assuming y'all are talking about BigLawl, right? Is it typical for a 50-attorney firm to take significantly longer than that?

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm assuming y'all are talking about BigLawl, right? Is it typical for a 50-attorney firm to take significantly longer than that?
I don't know that I would necessarily say that it is "typical," but I had several 2L friends last year at firms about that size that had to wait until around November until they heard anything. These were all in small to medium sized markets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm assuming y'all are talking about BigLawl, right? Is it typical for a 50-attorney firm to take significantly longer than that?
my ~100 attorney SA firm said that it would be anywhere from 2-5 weeks before I heard back because they needed 1) a general partnership meeting the next week to determine hiring needs, and 2) a recruiting committee meeting afterwards, but lots of people were taking vacations for the next month so their meeting date wasn't set.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:
I don't know that I would necessarily say that it is "typical," but I had several 2L friends last year at firms about that size that had to wait until around November until they heard anything. These were all in small to medium sized markets.
I'm at a firm of about that size. They told me that nothing would be decided until the partners met in August or September. My last day is the 17th and the next scheduled partners' meeting is the 20th. I'm guessing I'm not going to sleep well next weekend.

Especially after reading that no-offered SA thread.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:15 pm

V-5 firm.

Rolling summer acceptances. I had one bad review from a partner, and one (or two) mediocre reviews. I have a bad, bad feeling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:V-5 firm.

Rolling summer acceptances. I had one bad review from a partner, and one (or two) mediocre reviews. I have a bad, bad feeling.
Relax. V5 isn't going to no-offer lightly. DPW doesn't want to lose people to Skadden, or whoever, next year because of their <100% offer rate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Relax. V5 isn't going to no-offer lightly. DPW doesn't want to lose people to Skadden, or whoever, next year because of their <100% offer rate.
You'd be surprised. My whole final review was about the bad review from the partner. I tried to take responsibility but the review was also a bunch of crap. My 'final review team' seemed to have hope (and are part of the summer committee) but recruiting started to act like it was the end of my time there. If they don't want to ruin their 100% offer rate then perhaps there is a cold offer that awaits me. :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

DPW has already made offers to all of the summer class. I'm kind of curious which V5 is doing rolling offers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

DPW has already made offers to all of the summer class. I'm kind of curious which V5 is doing rolling offers.
Rolling may not be the correct way to categorize this but everyone doesn't get their offer on the same day, or even week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Rolling may not be the correct way to categorize this but everyone doesn't get their offer on the same day, or even week.
Ah, ok. At DPW, everybody (as far as I know) got an offer on their last day of the summer, and that day varied from SA to SA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Relax. V5 isn't going to no-offer lightly. DPW doesn't want to lose people to Skadden, or whoever, next year because of their <100% offer rate.
Ah, ok. At DPW, everybody (as far as I know) got an offer on their last day of the summer, and that day varied from SA to SA.
FWIW I am the anon that used DPW as the example regarding 100% offer rates above and was just using it for illustrative purposes. I claim no knowledge of what is happening with DPW's offers.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You'd be surprised. My whole final review was about the bad review from the partner. I tried to take responsibility but the review was also a bunch of crap. My 'final review team' seemed to have hope (and are part of the summer committee) but recruiting started to act like it was the end of my time there. If they don't want to ruin their 100% offer rate then perhaps there is a cold offer that awaits me. :(
What were the reasons for the bad review?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”