ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm 99.9% sure that I'm getting an offer this week, and I'm pretty sure I know exactly when it's happening.

However, I'm still going to be anxious until it happens.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:00 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing. Its kind of strange isn't it? On one hand you don't want to be presumptuous but, at the same time, partners/associates have to know that you want to know whether or not you will get an offer. Any idea as to what the logic is behind waiting to tell the SA? Is it tradition? To prevent the SA from coasting? This of course is assuming that the firm knows before your summer ends. It may just be that they need time to think and discuss.

I think it is the need to wait until the hiring committee makes a final decision. No one wants to say for sure what is going to happen until the decision is made.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm 99.9% sure that I'm getting an offer this week, and I'm pretty sure I know exactly when it's happening.

However, I'm still going to be anxious until it happens.

You are the 99%? Sorry the percentage just made me think of that. Also, are we no longer the 99% if we get offers and take them? Anyone else sometimes just thing "zomg this is a lotta monies?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In a casual conversation I brought up dreading the hassle of OCI. All I got was a shrug.

The next day I received a simple email. . . No OCI per te.

Point: Hinting sometimes works!

2L or 1L? I tried this as a 1L, and it didn't fly.

1L. Fortunate, considering a lot of friends are stressing over OCI. I thought the 4 interviews I had to go through here were traumatic (especially when one of the interviewers said, feel free to keep looking). Interviewing with +20 firms must be brutal.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:19 pm

You could also try asking recruiting about the offer timeline in general.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:39 pm

Got glowing reviews and an offer today. Time to imbibe.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:06 pm

So, local firm put some a resume collect for some first-year associate jerbs for 3Ls with a deadline that passes about a week before my current clerkship ends. I won't know whether I'm getting an offer or not until after I'm gone.

I asked a partner with whom I've got a rapport to go to lunch tomorrow so I can have a conversation of, "I really want to be here, but deadlines are coming and I've got to apply."

Mainly I want see if he'll tip anything about whether I'm getting an offer, but he's also a locally connected guy and I'm hoping maybe he can make a call or something on my behalf at this other place.

Any thoughts on how best to approach the conversation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:15 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Heard about a no-offer at Latham last week. Anyone have the details?

yikes.....must've been a fit problem or bad work product because latham is interviewing 3Ls

It was more than one person but I don't know the reason(s).

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Heard about a no-offer at Latham last week. Anyone have the details?

yikes.....must've been a fit problem or bad work product because latham is interviewing 3Ls

How many were in the class?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:30 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:

My source told me it was bad fit/work ethic issues, rather than a systemic, firm-health issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm at top NYC firm that has historically given 100 percent offers, a smattering of cold offers over the years, and is relatively healthy. Mid-summer review was extremely positive. Absolutely no reason to even think about 3L OCI, right (given that I'm happy with my firm)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:

My source told me it was bad fit/work ethic issues, rather than a systemic, firm-health issue.

Work ethic issues as a 2L SA?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:23 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:

Yeah, no way Latham would no offer for any other reason. They've never done that ever. Not even in the past 5 years. No sir.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:28 pm

Did Latham finally give start dates? I remember a month ago them and Ropes were the two firms that people hadn't heard from (that we know of). Did Ropes give them too?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:56 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:

Yeah, no way Latham would no offer for any other reason. They've never done that ever. Not even in the past 5 years. No sir.

Heard about the Latham no offer as well

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:26 pm

How the hell does everyone know about this 1 no offer. That must suck to be that guy, everyone in your business.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:How the hell does everyone know about this 1 no offer. That must suck to be that guy, everyone in your business.

To be fair, that anon from the last page said there was more than 1 no offer, so who knows. A shame for them, particularly since Latham is descending on a number of schools looking for 3Ls to come on board.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:37 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:Did Latham finally give start dates? I remember a month ago them and Ropes were the two firms that people hadn't heard from (that we know of). Did Ropes give them too?

yeah, LW's start dates are a choice between late October or late November. I was a SA there this summer and that's what I heard.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:19 am

5ky wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:How the hell does everyone know about this 1 no offer. That must suck to be that guy, everyone in your business.

To be fair, that anon from the last page said there was more than 1 no offer, so who knows. A shame for them, particularly since Latham is descending on a number of schools looking for 3Ls to come on board.

Oh Latham.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:42 am

somewhatwayward wrote:

know another summer in the class. can't say for certain about both, but one of the no offers was apparently engaged in some pretty ridiculous and out there behavior (serious social issues, both interpersonally and work product related)...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:

know another summer in the class. can't say for certain about both, but one of the no offers was apparently engaged in some pretty ridiculous and out there behavior (serious social issues, both interpersonally and work product related)...

Specifics?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:

It was two in the same office.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:46 pm

keg411 wrote:
5ky wrote:

Oh Latham.
Lathams gon Latham.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:57 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:

if it was the economy, why would they be interviewing 3Ls? if the no offer guy had good work product and behaved appropriately, wouldn't they just keep him (or them) rather than re-interviewing 3Ls?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:11 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:

if it was the economy, why would they be interviewing 3Ls? if the no offer guy had good work product and behaved appropriately, wouldn't they just keep him (or them) rather than re-interviewing 3Ls?

They could have signed up for lolci's 3 months ago and then had a terribad quarter and don't actually plan on calling anyone back.

Return to “Legal Employment”