ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fatduck

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby fatduck » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:12 pm

bk1 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:I can judge the credibility of the information for myself. If someone says there is a V50 firm out there no-offering people, or cold-offering, or acting like they might not be hiring, I think that provides some non-zero value as far as showing what the mood is out there economically. Obviously the more details the better, but whatever. There's no need for everyone to get their panties in a bunch about it. The posts bitching about it have contributed about five times the amount of noise to this thread (a problem which I am now hypocritically contributing to).

I actually agree with you. I just felt like razzing you by taking your statement literally.

i don't agree. if you have a biglaw SA, you didn't build that. anonymous posters who came before you made that happen. the most useful information about firms is, unsurprisingly, information that firms would rather keep secret. pay it back by using the anonymous feature to share that information.

anonymous posting: not just for insulating yourself from your dumb opinions.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:19 pm

fatduck wrote:
bk1 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:I can judge the credibility of the information for myself. If someone says there is a V50 firm out there no-offering people, or cold-offering, or acting like they might not be hiring, I think that provides some non-zero value as far as showing what the mood is out there economically. Obviously the more details the better, but whatever. There's no need for everyone to get their panties in a bunch about it. The posts bitching about it have contributed about five times the amount of noise to this thread (a problem which I am now hypocritically contributing to).

I actually agree with you. I just felt like razzing you by taking your statement literally.

i don't agree. if you have a biglaw SA, you didn't build that. anonymous posters who came before you made that happen. the most useful information about firms is, unsurprisingly, information that firms would rather keep secret. pay it back by using the anonymous feature to share that information.

anonymous posting: not just for insulating yourself from your dumb opinions.

And if for some reason your wife freaks out about you getting an offer or getting no offered or cold offered, make sure she knows in advance about using anonymous posting before she caves into pressure and posts the name of the firm. Save Sealocust changing avatars again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:17 am

I am the OP in the V100 firm.

Look, I actually like my firm, so I don't want to oust its name. I am posting here because I just want to let you guys know that there are V firms not letting out any offers at the end of their programs (and I don't like this specific aspect).

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am the OP in the V100 firm.

Look, I actually like my firm, so I don't want to oust its name. I am posting here because I just want to let you guys know that there are V firms not letting out any offers at the end of their programs (and I don't like this specific aspect).

Again, this is not useful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am the OP in the V100 firm.

Again, this is not useful.

Different anon and example of something useful (though third-hand, through multiple sources):
Pepper Hamilton (PA) has not given offers yet, but plans to do so in the next week or so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:27 pm

V-50 here. Everyone got offers in my class on the last day of work (this past Friday).

McQueen

Postby McQueen » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:28 pm

What is up with all these anonymous posts? You would think the generic and/or weird screen names keep us anonymous (not to mention the freaky tars). Does anyone think someone important is going to come over here and say, “somebody posted Trump just dropped by our firm, I bet that SA who is always on the puter wrote that.” Really?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:31 pm

McQueen wrote:What is up with all these anonymous posts? You would think the generic and/or weird screen names keep us anonymous (not to mention the freaky tars). Does anyone think someone important is going to come over here and say, “somebody posted Trump just dropped by our firm, I bet that SA who is always on the puter wrote that.” Really?

if a firm has, for example, 25 SAs and sees someone post about them, it is not very hard to figure out who it is among the SA class. THe anon feature is useful, although often misused.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Knowing which firms typically give out offers at the end of the summer program is key. It saves so much stress and anxiety. If I would do OCI all over again, and have multiple offers, firms giving offers at the end of the summer program would be at the top of the list for sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Knowing which firms typically give out offers at the end of the summer program is key. It saves so much stress and anxiety. If I would do OCI all over again, and have multiple offers, firms giving offers at the end of the summer program would be at the top of the list for sure.

Or you do this exactly, and then your V50 basically tells you multiple times, through various channels that this year will not be like the previous years. Just sayin, there's no way to know for sure. The firms have all the info., you get what they give, and then they can always change their mind at any given moment. I can tell you one thing though, I'm gettin' on that A-III clerkship tip fo sho.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Cahill gave offers to everyone, around 42. This summer was so relaxing; their summer program is awesome.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Knowing which firms typically give out offers at the end of the summer program is key. It saves so much stress and anxiety. If I would do OCI all over again, and have multiple offers, firms giving offers at the end of the summer program would be at the top of the list for sure.

Or you do this exactly, and then your V50 basically tells you multiple times, through various channels that this year will not be like the previous years. Just sayin, there's no way to know for sure. The firms have all the info., you get what they give, and then they can always change their mind at any given moment. I can tell you one thing though, I'm gettin' on that A-III clerkship tip fo sho.

Is it too late to apply to clerkships? Can someone point me some link where I can learn all the basic stuff, and start applying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cahill gave offers to everyone, around 42. This summer was so relaxing; their summer program is awesome.

I wish I summered at your firm. My firm said about two weeks. These two weeks will suck.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cahill gave offers to everyone, around 42. This summer was so relaxing; their summer program is awesome.

Keep in mind... that's only their summer program. Their reputation of very heavy hours is legit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:16 pm

keg411 wrote:

Keep in mind... that's only their summer program. Their reputation of very heavy hours is legit.

Oh, I'm well aware. But it was nice having the summer to get us acclimated with the firm's culture.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:46 am

1L SA (rising 2L) here...got offer from my summer firm on Friday. I have to come back for a couple weeks next summer in order to keep my offer but I am super excited.

Good luck to everyone else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Had final review today, and all reviews were very positive aside from one which trashed me totally. The guy was a first year who was so difficult to work with, and who I busted my ass the most for with my biggest project of the summer. Sure, I def made some mistakes, but I figured it would be in perspective of the things I did right, which were nonexistant in the review. Now I have to hope that all the glowing reviews from partners supercede that one trashing for a first year guy who is just impossible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had final review today, and all reviews were very positive aside from one which trashed me totally. The guy was a first year who was so difficult to work with, and who I busted my ass the most for with my biggest project of the summer. Sure, I def made some mistakes, but I figured it would be in perspective of the things I did right, which were nonexistant in the review. Now I have to hope that all the glowing reviews from partners supercede that one trashing for a first year guy who is just impossible.

I had similar experience, but rather than first year associate was a partner. I am hoping for the same thing. These two weeks will be tough, but lets expect the best.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had final review today, and all reviews were very positive aside from one which trashed me totally. The guy was a first year who was so difficult to work with, and who I busted my ass the most for with my biggest project of the summer. Sure, I def made some mistakes, but I figured it would be in perspective of the things I did right, which were nonexistant in the review. Now I have to hope that all the glowing reviews from partners supercede that one trashing for a first year guy who is just impossible.

I had similar experience, but rather than first year associate was a partner. I am hoping for the same thing. These two weeks will be tough, but lets expect the best.

My firm typically does 100% offer rates, and that's been the case for something like 3 years. I can't imagine that im the first person in 3 years to get trashed by just one sole attorney with a chip on his/her shoulder. This person was going to give me a terrible review for anything short of perfect work. And even when I thought I was doing everything very well, our approaches differed such that it gave him yet another reason to trash me.

At my review, I was sort of given a chance to explain what happened. The truth is a combination of my own mistakes, sometimes a bit careless, which I totally owned up to, but the other side was having this impossible to please 1st year with a passive agressive complex, which I kept to myself. I refused to take the bait at the review and didn't speak one negative word about the associate, and im not sure whether that was smart or stupid.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My firm typically does 100% offer rates, and that's been the case for something like 3 years. I can't imagine that im the first person in 3 years to get trashed by just one sole attorney with a chip on his/her shoulder. This person was going to give me a terrible review for anything short of perfect work. And even when I thought I was doing everything very well, our approaches differed such that it gave him yet another reason to trash me.

At my review, I was sort of given a chance to explain what happened. The truth is a combination of my own mistakes, sometimes a bit careless, which I totally owned up to, but the other side was having this impossible to please 1st year with a passive agressive complex, which I kept to myself. I refused to take the bait at the review and didn't speak one negative word about the associate, and im not sure whether that was smart or stupid.

If your firm didn't no offer anyone in the great 2009 summer of no offers, you are fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:55 pm

^^^

Certainly hope you are right, DF. When I think of what it takes to get no offered by a traditionally 100% offer firm, I imagine someone who was so out of place, who didn't care for the work at all, who essentially made it clear that the firm wasn't a match, who disappointed every attorney he/she came across, etc. I apparently only disappointed one, yet everyone said im super enthusiastic, have the right attitude, am easy to work with, etc. So hopefully im worrying about nothing.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^^^

Certainly hope you are right, DF. When I think of what it takes to get no offered by a traditionally 100% offer firm, I imagine someone who was so out of place, who didn't care for the work at all, who essentially made it clear that the firm wasn't a match, who disappointed every attorney he/she came across, etc. I apparently only disappointed one, yet everyone said im super enthusiastic, have the right attitude, am easy to work with, etc. So hopefully im worrying about nothing.

There is just no way that 1 bad review will sink you at a firm that is truly 100% historically. Do you think nobody ever gets bad reviews?

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^^^

There is just no way that 1 bad review will sink you at a firm that is truly 100% historically. Do you think nobody ever gets bad reviews?

Agreed. Also, if it's one first-year hater versus a legion of partners who liked your work, you have even less to worry about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:34 am

Just got two huge assigments from two partners, due in 60 hours. Both knew of the other, but still said they had to be done. One got a little pised when I gave him my workplan and it had a 36 hour block without sleep, because he was expecting a 60 block. I'm so getting not offered for either being an hours wimp or doing a shitty job without sleep.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:52 am

I got a research project this morning concerning a client who is in the business of providing portable toilets to construction sites and public gatherings.

I am literally practicing shitlaw right now. :(

Return to “Legal Employment”