ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:18 am

You know people, they have this thing called the anonymous feature for sharing sensitive information. Not sure what the harm is in sharing firm info about your big Vault firms with dozens of SAs. Can't tell if its loyalty to the firm or concerns of being outted by the firm, but both reasons are kinda silly.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby fatduck » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:44 am

you give people too much credit, romo. it's about attention whoring. maintaining an air of secrecy makes them feel more important.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:45 am

fatduck wrote:you give people too much credit, romo. it's about attention whoring. maintaining an air of secrecy makes them feel more important.

They don't actually want to share information, they just want you to know their status.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby fatduck » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:48 am

IAFG wrote:
fatduck wrote:you give people too much credit, romo. it's about attention whoring. maintaining an air of secrecy makes them feel more important.

They don't actually want to share information, they just want you to know their status.

but I posted anonymously! I can't be bragging!

/eyeroll

User avatar
notedgarfigaro
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
clone22 wrote:If I may ask, what exactly is a "cold offer"?


Firm extends offer but either tells you directly or the writing on the wall clearly suggests that it would be better if you look at other opportunities.


What does "clearly suggests" mean here? Can you give an example of a cold offer?


This was a particularly cold offer: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/biglaw-b ... old-offer/

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:51 am

fatduck wrote:
IAFG wrote:
fatduck wrote:you give people too much credit, romo. it's about attention whoring. maintaining an air of secrecy makes them feel more important.

They don't actually want to share information, they just want you to know their status.

but I posted anonymously! I can't be bragging!

/eyeroll

Last year I coined the term "anony-brag."

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby fatduck » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:53 am

notedgarfigaro wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
clone22 wrote:If I may ask, what exactly is a "cold offer"?


Firm extends offer but either tells you directly or the writing on the wall clearly suggests that it would be better if you look at other opportunities.


What does "clearly suggests" mean here? Can you give an example of a cold offer?


This was a particularly cold offer: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/biglaw-b ... old-offer/

I always thought that story was dumb. Is making an offer contingent on a clerkship that ridiculous? Some firms do it regularly. ATL makes it sounds like this person was singled out because the firm knew citizenship would be an obstacle, but that is pure conjecture.

User avatar
notedgarfigaro
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:59 am

fatduck wrote:I always thought that story was dumb. Is making an offer contingent on a clerkship that ridiculous? Some firms do it regularly. ATL makes it sounds like this person was singled out because the firm knew citizenship would be an obstacle, but that is pure conjecture.


If a firm makes offer contingent on clerking regularly, then why would they waste an SA slot on someone that they knew before hiring would not be able to clerk, or at least would have an extremely difficult time doing so? Huge waste of resources...

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby rad lulz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
monkey85 wrote:
I am not looking for anything as specific as the Firm name - but what "V" range/level? Also, any specific practice area focuses? This will help us gauge just how likely they are to sink or swim in the current economy.

I want a firm name. V range is a step above meaningless.


I'm the other anon from Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:23 am. V50 firm, 700+, major market. Told to do OCI because the paperwork to make offers won't be done until early-mid Sept., but to call them if I get an offer elsewhere and they'll strongly wink.

You are basically not helpful. At all. Your post is worthless. V50 is not a relevant cutoff for anything. LOL at the person trying to use V rankings in an attempt to measure economic health. However, if you are referring to just the firms ranked (V41-50) and not a firm somewhere between 1 and 50, I now know the firm is Dechert or Winston Strawn. So just say it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:24 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
monkey85 wrote:
I am not looking for anything as specific as the Firm name - but what "V" range/level? Also, any specific practice area focuses? This will help us gauge just how likely they are to sink or swim in the current economy.

I want a firm name. V range is a step above meaningless.


I'm the other anon from Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:23 am. V50 firm, 700+, major market. Told to do OCI because the paperwork to make offers won't be done until early-mid Sept., but to call them if I get an offer elsewhere and they'll strongly wink.

You are basically not helpful. At all. Your post is worthless. V50 is not a relevant cutoff for anything. LOL at the person trying to use V rankings in an attempt to measure economic health. However, if you are referring to just the firms ranked (V41-50) and not a firm somewhere between 1 and 50, I now know the firm is Dechert or Winston Strawn. So just say it.


Winston and Strawn has not ended the summer program in Chicago yet, and offers will not go out until mid-August. For reasons I won't get into, there will probably be fewer offers this year than in recent past years. This person might be in a different office, though.

User avatar
Stringer6
Posts: 5865
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Stringer6 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:24 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
monkey85 wrote:
I am not looking for anything as specific as the Firm name - but what "V" range/level? Also, any specific practice area focuses? This will help us gauge just how likely they are to sink or swim in the current economy.

I want a firm name. V range is a step above meaningless.


I'm the other anon from Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:23 am. V50 firm, 700+, major market. Told to do OCI because the paperwork to make offers won't be done until early-mid Sept., but to call them if I get an offer elsewhere and they'll strongly wink.

You are basically not helpful. At all. Your post is worthless. V50 is not a relevant cutoff for anything. LOL at the person trying to use V rankings in an attempt to measure economic health. However, if you are referring to just the firms ranked (V41-50) and not a firm somewhere between 1 and 50, I now know the firm is Dechert or Winston Strawn. So just say it.


you are a genius god

Lawyerhead
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Lawyerhead » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:09 am

fatduck wrote:you give people too much credit, romo. it's about attention whoring. maintaining an air of secrecy makes them feel more important.


There really is no positive for him to state his firm. I mean, other than to please (help?) random, anonymous people on an Internet message board at the risk (however remote) of being outted.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:12 am

romothesavior wrote:You know people, they have this thing called the anonymous feature for sharing sensitive information. Not sure what the harm is in sharing firm info about your big Vault firms with dozens of SAs. Can't tell if its loyalty to the firm or concerns of being outted by the firm, but both reasons are kinda silly.


Few enough people are cold offered (I hope) that outing a firm that cold offers absolutely outs the poster.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby keg411 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:You know people, they have this thing called the anonymous feature for sharing sensitive information. Not sure what the harm is in sharing firm info about your big Vault firms with dozens of SAs. Can't tell if its loyalty to the firm or concerns of being outted by the firm, but both reasons are kinda silly.


Few enough people are cold offered (I hope) that outing a firm that cold offers absolutely outs the poster.


It "outs" someone only to people who actually knowz all of the SA's working at that particular firm personally. In all likelihood, the people who would the poster would supposedly be "outted" to already know about the cold offer. I think people are more interested in general which firms are cold offering (or for future posters, no-offering) this year.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Lawyerhead wrote:
fatduck wrote:you give people too much credit, romo. it's about attention whoring. maintaining an air of secrecy makes them feel more important.


There really is no positive for him to state his firm. I mean, other than to please (help?) random, anonymous people on an Internet message board at the risk (however remote) of being outted.

Then why say anything?

If he's trying to be helpful, then romo's point is that he needs to give more info.
If he's just trying to brag or maintain an aura of secrecy, then fatduck's point is fuck that guy.

Either way, posting "V50 firm, 700+, major market. Told to do OCI because the paperwork to make offers won't be done until early-mid Sept., but to call them if I get an offer elsewhere and they'll strongly wink" is pointless.

EDIT: and anyways, I don't know if sharing offer news is what this thread is about anyways. There's a thread here for that.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:25 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Lawyerhead wrote:
fatduck wrote:you give people too much credit, romo. it's about attention whoring. maintaining an air of secrecy makes them feel more important.


There really is no positive for him to state his firm. I mean, other than to please (help?) random, anonymous people on an Internet message board at the risk (however remote) of being outted.

Then why say anything?

If he's trying to be helpful, then romo's point is that he needs to give more info.
If he's just trying to brag or maintain an aura of secrecy, then fatduck's point is fuck that guy.

Either way, posting "V50 firm, 700+, major market. Told to do OCI because the paperwork to make offers won't be done until early-mid Sept., but to call them if I get an offer elsewhere and they'll strongly wink" is pointless.

EDIT: and anyways, I don't know if sharing offer news is what this thread is about anyways. There's a thread here for that.

I cosign to all of this.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Lawyerhead wrote:
fatduck wrote:you give people too much credit, romo. it's about attention whoring. maintaining an air of secrecy makes them feel more important.


There really is no positive for him to state his firm. I mean, other than to please (help?) random, anonymous people on an Internet message board at the risk (however remote) of being outted.


Then there is no positive for telling the world about this story.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:44 pm

This forum is full of fucking idiots. Makes sense that they can't make heads or tails of what outs them or not.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:44 pm

V100 - Offers might go out soon! But a partner said I did good work! Keep this on the downlow! DOn't want to be outed!

Lawyerhead
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Lawyerhead » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Lawyerhead wrote:
fatduck wrote:you give people too much credit, romo. it's about attention whoring. maintaining an air of secrecy makes them feel more important.


There really is no positive for him to state his firm. I mean, other than to please (help?) random, anonymous people on an Internet message board at the risk (however remote) of being outted.


Then there is no positive for telling the world about this story.


I agree! Without details, it's not useful to anyone. But I understand why he'd hesitate to say anything more. I dunno, maybe he wanted to vent?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby rad lulz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Lawyerhead wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Lawyerhead wrote:
fatduck wrote:you give people too much credit, romo. it's about attention whoring. maintaining an air of secrecy makes them feel more important.


There really is no positive for him to state his firm. I mean, other than to please (help?) random, anonymous people on an Internet message board at the risk (however remote) of being outted.


Then there is no positive for telling the world about this story.


I agree! Without details, it's not useful to anyone. But I understand why he'd hesitate to say anything more. I dunno, maybe he wanted to vent?

If you want to vent, no reason to put "V50 firm, 700+ attorneys."

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:34 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Lawyerhead wrote:
fatduck wrote:you give people too much credit, romo. it's about attention whoring. maintaining an air of secrecy makes them feel more important.


There really is no positive for him to state his firm. I mean, other than to please (help?) random, anonymous people on an Internet message board at the risk (however remote) of being outted.

Then why say anything?

If he's trying to be helpful, then romo's point is that he needs to give more info.
If he's just trying to brag or maintain an aura of secrecy, then fatduck's point is fuck that guy.

Either way, posting "V50 firm, 700+, major market. Told to do OCI because the paperwork to make offers won't be done until early-mid Sept., but to call them if I get an offer elsewhere and they'll strongly wink" is pointless.

EDIT: and anyways, I don't know if sharing offer news is what this thread is about anyways. There's a thread here for that.

Nah, I'm happy to hear about what's going on at other firms out there. It would be more informative with the firm name, obviously, but I'll take the unsubstantiated rumor for what it's worth over no info.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:13 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Nah, I'm happy to hear about what's going on at other firms out there. It would be more informative with the firm name, obviously, but I'll take the unsubstantiated rumor for what it's worth over no info.


Unsubstantiated rumor: aliens are quietly bodysnatching Australians and will eventually try to use all of Australia's military might to invade New Zealand.

I've got a bunch more unsubstantiated rumors if you truly prefer them over nothing.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:25 pm

bk1 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Nah, I'm happy to hear about what's going on at other firms out there. It would be more informative with the firm name, obviously, but I'll take the unsubstantiated rumor for what it's worth over no info.


Unsubstantiated rumor: aliens are quietly bodysnatching Australians and will eventually try to use all of Australia's military might to invade New Zealand.

I've got a bunch more unsubstantiated rumors if you truly prefer them over nothing.

I can judge the credibility of the information for myself. If someone says there is a V50 firm out there no-offering people, or cold-offering, or acting like they might not be hiring, I think that provides some non-zero value as far as showing what the mood is out there economically. Obviously the more details the better, but whatever. There's no need for everyone to get their panties in a bunch about it. The posts bitching about it have contributed about five times the amount of noise to this thread (a problem which I am now hypocritically contributing to).

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:02 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I can judge the credibility of the information for myself. If someone says there is a V50 firm out there no-offering people, or cold-offering, or acting like they might not be hiring, I think that provides some non-zero value as far as showing what the mood is out there economically. Obviously the more details the better, but whatever. There's no need for everyone to get their panties in a bunch about it. The posts bitching about it have contributed about five times the amount of noise to this thread (a problem which I am now hypocritically contributing to).

I actually agree with you. I just felt like razzing you by taking your statement literally.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.