ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2012 10:30 pm

swc65 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any cool arrival gifts?


Kindle Fire and bag of firm goodies



Umbrella and terrorist protection gear (flashlight, breathing mask, etc)


CGSH?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2012 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is an appropriate time to leave the office as a summer associate ?


Probably okay to leave now. Getting pretty late.



We were told 930 - 530. Two days in, and I (along with most others) get in around 9ish and leave no earlier than 6. This is NYC biglaw. Of course, this assumes you have no pressing work, in which case all bets are off.

I will note that the office is pretty empty at 9. Most full-time employees (non-staff) roll in between 930 - 10.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2012 11:38 pm

Brassica7 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is an appropriate time to leave the office as a summer associate ?


Also, what is an appropriate time to arrive in the morning?


I'm a 3L who worked in DC last summer (and will be returning to my firm in the fall). I got in around 9:15-9:30 every morning, made coffee and puttered around on the internet/emails until 10am when I actually started working. I was out by 6-7 most nights. I will say that I'm very, very efficient when I actually get to work. There were 2-3 days during the summer I got in super early (7am) and/or stayed late (8pm+) to finish up projects, but every time I stayed late I would have multiple attorneys come by my office and tell me to leave because nothing I was doing was that important to justify staying past 7pm.

Don't stress out about staying late to look busy. Do you work and if you're done at 6, leave; if you need to stay until 9 to finish a project due the next morning, stay until 9. Sitting around on cnn/ATL/tls is just a waste of your time if you have nothing left to do. Most attorneys will think you're a crazy gunner or really inefficient if you're consistently staying super late anyways. Its the summer. Enjoy it. Chill out. You will (probably) get an offer as long as you do the work competently and turn it in on time.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby r6_philly » Wed May 16, 2012 12:00 am

Brassica7 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is an appropriate time to leave the office as a summer associate ?


Also, what is an appropriate time to arrive in the morning?


It's been two days but I have been in earlier than most attorneys. They gave us a "billable" hours target, so I try to stay around and do enough training. I imagine things will change once I get actual assignments because I would spend as much time as I need making sure I do a decent job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 12:01 am

When writing a memo, or analyzing an issue, do practitioners use IRAC? or what method do they usually use?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 12:55 am

r6_philly wrote:
Brassica7 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is an appropriate time to leave the office as a summer associate ?


Also, what is an appropriate time to arrive in the morning?


It's been two days but I have been in earlier than most attorneys. They gave us a "billable" hours target, so I try to stay around and do enough training. I imagine things will change once I get actual assignments because I would spend as much time as I need making sure I do a decent job.


I asked this of my immediate supervisor and they didn't seem to really care. I found the firms "business hours" located in the recess of a handbook so I figure I'll take those as a minimum.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 12:57 am

Also, what is an appropriate time to arrive in the morning?


I asked this of my immediate supervisor and they didn't seem to really mind me being there whenever. I found the firms "business hours" located in the recess of a handbook so I figure I'll take those as a minimum.

Just as an aside, is mine the only firm that starts at 8?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby bk1 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:29 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any cool arrival gifts?


Kindle Fire and bag of firm goodies


Even though a Kindle Fire is small in comparison to even a week of SA pay, that is pretty cool.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 7:37 am

I somehow got stuck with 2 fellow SA's who are gunners. Office hours are 8-5, they are there 730-530 with no work to do. Lunch break from 12-1, they don't take. Absolutely no talking in our cubicle area. Insane.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby wiseowl » Wed May 16, 2012 8:46 am

You guys be sure to enjoy the best summer of your lives, because that's what this will be.

Meanwhile, I have 500 or so hours of Barbri ahead of me :cry:

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed May 16, 2012 9:56 am

wiseowl wrote:You guys be sure to enjoy the best summer of your lives, because that's what this will be.

Meanwhile, I have 500 or so hours of Barbri ahead of me :cry:


This.

Also, bummer to the poaster with gunner SA-mates. Gunners take all the fun out of the summer.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Ludo! » Wed May 16, 2012 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I somehow got stuck with 2 fellow SA's who are gunners. Office hours are 8-5, they are there 730-530 with no work to do. Lunch break from 12-1, they don't take. Absolutely no talking in our cubicle area. Insane.


This would be the worst. Who doesn't take their lunch break?? I haven't started yet but from what I gathered during interviews we are encouraged at my firm to go to lunch with associates over the summer.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 16, 2012 11:00 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I somehow got stuck with 2 fellow SA's who are gunners. Office hours are 8-5, they are there 730-530 with no work to do. Lunch break from 12-1, they don't take. Absolutely no talking in our cubicle area. Insane.


This would be the worst. Who doesn't take their lunch break?? I haven't started yet but from what I gathered during interviews we are encouraged at my firm to go to lunch with associates over the summer.

This. People at my firm have been no offered for NOT being social and trying to do lunches.

Also I had yet another dream about screwing up just now.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby traehekat » Wed May 16, 2012 11:32 am

rad lulz wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I somehow got stuck with 2 fellow SA's who are gunners. Office hours are 8-5, they are there 730-530 with no work to do. Lunch break from 12-1, they don't take. Absolutely no talking in our cubicle area. Insane.


This would be the worst. Who doesn't take their lunch break?? I haven't started yet but from what I gathered during interviews we are encouraged at my firm to go to lunch with associates over the summer.

This. People at my firm have been no offered for NOT being social and trying to do lunches.

Also I had yet another dream about screwing up just now.


Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Maybe they'll loosen up, could just be a case of extreme nerves or something.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6400
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby 5ky » Wed May 16, 2012 1:04 pm

It doesn't seem like a major market, considering the 8am start time and few SAs, and so maybe there is not a real lunch program, but I agree that behavior is a bit odd.

User avatar
DreamsInDigital
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby DreamsInDigital » Wed May 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Not quite a big law SA, but I'm working at a tiny firm this summer doing labor law. Extremely excited, but also worried because they don't ever take 1Ls (this summer it is going to be me and a 2L), and I'm worried I'm going to be totally unprepared.

Any advice on how to make sure I don't screw it up?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby r6_philly » Wed May 16, 2012 7:00 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:Not quite a big law SA, but I'm working at a tiny firm this summer doing labor law. Extremely excited, but also worried because they don't ever take 1Ls (this summer it is going to be me and a 2L), and I'm worried I'm going to be totally unprepared.

Any advice on how to make sure I don't screw it up?


Make sure you ask question from day one about anything you don't understand. The attorneys may understand that you know nothing, but you have to remind them what you don't know. Don't take the assignment not understanding thoroughly how you are supposed to do it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Is anyone else worried about the potential collapse of Greece/Eurozone affecting offer rates this summer? It seems like things are getting worse and have the potential to spill over into the U.S. economy if things really go downhill.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby r6_philly » Wed May 16, 2012 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else worried about the potential collapse of Greece/Eurozone affecting offer rates this summer? It seems like things are getting worse and have the potential to spill over into the U.S. economy if things really go downhill.


I don't think firms are that reactionary in the short term. They may have overreacted during the down years and now are a little shorthanded due to latency. I feel that firms are fairly (from what I see) conservation with this year's classes so I don't know if they offer rate will be very low. I mean they could have just kept the class small and be more selective. I don't know if it benefits anyone by keeping offer rates low.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Veyron » Wed May 16, 2012 11:52 pm

I don't think firms are that reactionary in the short term.


(It is 2007).

Reprisal
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:51 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Reprisal » Thu May 17, 2012 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:When writing a memo, or analyzing an issue, do practitioners use IRAC? or what method do they usually use?


CRACC

Conclucion, Rule with string cites and parentheticals containing summary Analysis, Conclusion with Caveats

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Veyron » Thu May 17, 2012 12:30 am

Reprisal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When writing a memo, or analyzing an issue, do practitioners use IRAC? or what method do they usually use?


CRACC

Conclucion, Rule with string cites and parentheticals containing summary Analysis, Conclusion with Caveats


Dunno man, I've seen quite a bit of CRA or even CA (when there is no clear rule) - especially for interoffice stuff. CRAC is redundant and practitioners tend not to have time for that shit.

hallet
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby hallet » Thu May 17, 2012 12:57 am

Did everyone get a start date email, such as what time to be there and other specific work stuff? I got my offer and other informational questions, but I still haven't heard anything about starting time and I start on Monday.

Reprisal
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:51 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Reprisal » Thu May 17, 2012 1:30 am

Veyron wrote:Dunno man, I've seen quite a bit of CRA or even CA (when there is no clear rule) - especially for interoffice stuff. CRAC is redundant and practitioners tend not to have time for that shit.


Agreed. CC is only if there are CCs. Otherwise just CRA that shit.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Dany » Thu May 17, 2012 1:55 am

DreamsInDigital wrote:Not quite a big law SA, but I'm working at a tiny firm this summer doing labor law. Extremely excited, but also worried because they don't ever take 1Ls (this summer it is going to be me and a 2L), and I'm worried I'm going to be totally unprepared.

Any advice on how to make sure I don't screw it up?

Sort of the same here. Small-medium sized firm and I'm freaking out because I don't know how to do... well, anything. Had training today but it was just showing me around the firm (and my office 8) ) and teaching me how to use the firm software and documents and stuff. And re-learning how to use Windows. I start in a couple weeks.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.