ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ben4847

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby ben4847 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Well, some summer programs ended today.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:15 pm

ben4847 wrote:Well, some summer programs ended today.

Still have three weeks left

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Freeeeeeeeedom

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Freeeeeeeeedom

When mine was over last year, I was sad AF. Cherish it. CHERISH IT.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:07 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Freeeeeeeeedom

I liked it but this last week sucked. Billed 60 hours probably should have billed 80.

6 Weeks off before school, that I will cerish.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Freeeeeeeeedom

I liked it but this last week sucked. Billed 60 hours probably should have billed 80.

6 Weeks off before school, that I will cerish.

Just enjoy ALL of your time before studying for the bar. Worst part of law school, hands down. Probably 2-3x worse than 1L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:36 pm

1L. Was offered to stay on at my small firm until 3L is over. On the other hand they "no-offer" 4 out of every 5 clerks just after graduation. They usually get them jobs elsewhere though. Key word for me right now is usually. OCI is coming up and I don't know what to do. Do I take an offer for next summer at OCI if I get one and piss off my current job that I absolutely love... or not.

Fuck.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Did people get offered today? (or on their last date?) Did any 1L get perm offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L. Was offered to stay on at my small firm until 3L is over. On the other hand they "no-offer" 4 out of every 5 clerks just after graduation. They usually get them jobs elsewhere though. Key word for me right now is usually. OCI is coming up and I don't know what to do. Do I take an offer for next summer at OCI if I get one and piss off my current job that I absolutely love... or not.

Fuck.

Yes, yes you do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Released the first wave of SAs today at my firm - I still have one week. So jealous they are out and have freedom!

But things are definitely winding down. Only pro bono stuff left.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:18 pm

One week left. I haz a sad :(. SA'ing was probably one of the best experiences of my life. Definitely jealous of the 1L's who get to do this thing twice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1L. Was offered to stay on at my small firm until 3L is over. On the other hand they "no-offer" 4 out of every 5 clerks just after graduation. They usually get them jobs elsewhere though. Key word for me right now is usually. OCI is coming up and I don't know what to do. Do I take an offer for next summer at OCI if I get one and piss off my current job that I absolutely love... or not.

Fuck.

Yes, yes you do.

Even though they are the 2nd best plaintiff's firm in the state?

Yeah, I guess I do, huh. I have to look out for number 1.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:05 am

keg411 wrote:One week left. I haz a sad :(. SA'ing was probably one of the best experiences of my life. Definitely jealous of the 1L's who get to do this thing twice.

Agreed. One week left, probably the best summer of my life, gonna be sad to see it end.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:01 am

had a mid-summer review today. my despair from earlier this week has turned into cautious optimism.

getting paid today also relieved some of the despair.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:33 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
keg411 wrote:One week left. I haz a sad :(. SA'ing was probably one of the best experiences of my life. Definitely jealous of the 1L's who get to do this thing twice.

Agreed. One week left, probably the best summer of my life, gonna be sad to see it end.

I've still got about three weeks left. Upshot to a smaller firm is they don't run as formal of a program. I started the Monday after finals and will work until the Friday before fall semester starts.

I probably will only make the same money as people on an eight-week biglaw stint though.

Also, my school has a whopping three employers coming to OCI to interview 3Ls. Holy shit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:37 am

One more week here as well. I'm so, sooo sad. I really loved my experience at my firm...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

One more week here as well. I'm so, sooo sad. I really loved my experience at my firm...

Kind of surprised that you guys are so positive about it. I thought it was fine, can see myself going back there, etc., but I just want to get an offer and get out before I get the chance to fuck it up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Kind of surprised that you guys are so positive about it. I thought it was fine, can see myself going back there, etc., but I just want to get an offer and get out before I get the chance to fuck it up.

Well the reason why I'm pretty bummed is because I've gotten to know the associates really well. And as we all know, associates come and go from firm to firm, and you never know whether you'll be working with the same people if/when you come back next fall. At my office, it seems like the associates have been around for a while... but then again, mid-levels usually have the highest lateral rate.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sounds like your summer didn't mainly consist of mottles, baubles, free lunches, and reading ESPN at your desk. Sorry to hear that breh

Also, what the guy above me said

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:04 pm

stratocophic wrote:Sounds like your summer didn't mainly consist of mottles, baubles, free lunches, and reading ESPN at your desk. Sorry to hear that breh

Dawg, I am having a hard time enjoying myself because I don't want to fuck anything up because I really want an offer from one of both of my firms this summer.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:06 pm

rad lulz wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Kind of surprised that you guys are so positive about it. I thought it was fine, can see myself going back there, etc., but I just want to get an offer and get out before I get the chance to fuck it up.
Sounds like your summer didn't mainly consist of mottles, baubles, free lunches, and reading ESPN at your desk. Sorry to hear that breh

Also, what the guy above me said

Dawg, I am having a hard time enjoying myself because I don't want to fuck anything up because I really want an offer from one of both of my firms this summer.[/quote]

SAME here.... :shock:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:32 pm

rad lulz wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Sounds like your summer didn't mainly consist of mottles, baubles, free lunches, and reading ESPN at your desk. Sorry to hear that breh

Dawg, I am having a hard time enjoying myself because I don't want to fuck anything up because I really want an offer from one of both of my firms this summer.

Yeah, this. First few weeks are all good; the novelty of eating for free etc. is still fresh, you're meeting people, trying to impress them, and that's all great. But the last couple weeks of the summer, I dunno. I already know the lawyers, they know me, I'm not gonna wow anyone at this point, all I can really do is drop the ball. Finding it weirdly stressful.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Just because I loved my firm doesn't mean I wouldn't rather get 3L on the road.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:42 pm

rad lulz wrote:

TITC"IAHAHTEM". I was working on an assignment till 30 minutes before my last day ended, don't listen to me. I was legitimately running through the halls to get my laptop and files turned in

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Yeah, this. First few weeks are all good; the novelty of eating for free etc. is still fresh, you're meeting people, trying to impress them, and that's all great. But the last couple weeks of the summer, I dunno. I already know the lawyers, they know me, I'm not gonna wow anyone at this point, all I can really do is drop the ball. Finding it weirdly stressful.

This is my fear.... That I'll drop the ball... Only have a couple of weeks left and one project and a few odds and ends to finish

Return to “Legal Employment”