ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAFG

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am

With less than 2 weeks remaining, my anxiety level is back up.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:00 pm

IAFG wrote:With less than 2 weeks remaining, my anxiety level is back up.

Everyone has probably already formed their opinion about you. HTH.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:04 pm

I feel like at this point, we can only go down. My writing has been good, my research has been average. With the partners that like me, I am even more nervous to take on an assignment from them in fear that if I mess it up, I'm screwed, and if I do well on it, nothing changes.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:07 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Usually the case, and thus your fate may already be (mostly) sealed.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:13 pm

If TLS were the hiring committee, who would be no- offered? (Besides me obviously).

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Lol at any bitchmade associate or partner who gets angry over a small number of grammar errors. It's a sign of a small mind.

I don't know what "bitchmade" means, but I couldn't disagree more. While we all make them once in a while, I feel like grammatical errors and typos suggest laziness, stupidity, a second-class education or some combo of all of the above.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:

It actually does help. A lot.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:43 pm

alabamabound wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Lol at any bitchmade associate or partner who gets angry over a small number of grammar errors. It's a sign of a small mind.

I don't know what "bitchmade" means, but I couldn't disagree more. While we all make them once in a while, I feel like grammatical errors and typos suggest laziness, stupidity, a second-class education or some combo of all of the above.

Really? Because I have read multiple Federal Ct. opinions with misspellings and grammatical errors

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:25 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
alabamabound wrote:

Really? Because I have read multiple Federal Ct. opinions with misspellings and grammatical errors

Yes, really. I was generally talking about work product where the author did his/her own typing. That said, throughout history, there have been plenty of Art. III judges who have 1 or more of the above traits I listed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:32 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:I feel like at this point, we can only go down. My writing has been good, my research has been average. With the partners that like me, I am even more nervous to take on an assignment from them in fear that if I mess it up, I'm screwed, and if I do well on it, nothing changes.

Similar feeling.

Things are going well. Slightly idle seems better than overworked and risk errors.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:48 pm

performance review in front of all of the senior partners tomorrow afternoon.... if it doesnt go well- definately no jerb offer.. if it goes well probable job offer ( they know my last day is in 2 weeks and wont tell me definately until that day)

here's to the two and a half longest weeks ever. ( and heres to me trying to figureout plans B, C, D through ZZZZZZZ in the meantime)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As someone who sometimes feels as if he isn't doing as well as others, this is how I often feel:

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you;
Weep, and you weep alone."

+me

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:07 pm

alabamabound wrote:

First of all, written weird is to communicate. If it is clear and unambiguous who cares. Second, most grammar rules people harp on are style choices.

No offering a guy for using that instead of which is retarded.

Especially when firms have dedicated proof readers.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
alabamabound wrote:

First of all, written weird is to communicate. If it is clear and unambiguous who cares. Second, most grammar rules people harp on are style choices.

No offering a guy for using that instead of which is retarded.

example: DF says "written weird is to communicate," and you still understand what he meant. language is resilient; your poor grammar won't hurt it much.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:41 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:I feel like at this point, we can only go down. My writing has been good, my research has been average. With the partners that like me, I am even more nervous to take on an assignment from them in fear that if I mess it up, I'm screwed, and if I do well on it, nothing changes.

I started later than most of y'all. Only one memo reviewed so far, and that feedback was glowing. I've turn in a few more since then and I feel like the only way is down...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:57 pm

I had my review on two assignments Monday. I was told my writing was crisp and clear, but my analysis really needed work and I completely underdeveloped an issue. They mentioned also mentioned that it was helpful and informative. Am I doing fine?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had my review on two assignments Monday. I was told my writing was crisp and clear, but my analysis really needed work and I completely underdeveloped an issue. They mentioned also mentioned that it was helpful and informative. Am I doing fine?

Well it sounds like your writing style is good but you need to work on your legal analysis. What else do you want anyone to say? Sounds like they probably like you fine but are flagging things for you to improve so you need to do what you can to improve them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:03 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had my review on two assignments Monday. I was told my writing was crisp and clear, but my analysis really needed work and I completely underdeveloped an issue. They mentioned also mentioned that it was helpful and informative. Am I doing fine?

Well it sounds like your writing style is good but you need to work on your legal analysis. What else do you want anyone to say? Sounds like they probably like you fine but are flagging things for you to improve so you need to do what you can to improve them.

Ok, thanks. Looks like I'm over thinking things. It's hard not too sometimes.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Ok, thanks. Looks like I'm over thinking things. It's hard not too sometimes.

It is hard not to read between the lines, but I think all you can do is take it at face value—but take the criticisms seriously and strive to address them, because they probably wouldn't bring them up unless they thought they merited attention. As to whether or not it means you're at risk of not getting a job offer, who can tell but I certainly wouldn't leap to that conclusion based on what you've said here... but fix it next time.

MTC87

Postby MTC87 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:33 am

Idle thought: What percentage of posts in this thread are by people at firms with 100% offer rates, but who simply can't help spazzing out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:49 am

MTC87 wrote:Idle thought: What percentage of posts in this thread are by people at firms with 100% offer rates, but who simply can't help spazzing out?

Me. I feel like you just never know what might happen...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:20 am

MTC87 wrote:Idle thought: What percentage of posts in this thread are by people at firms with 100% offer rates, but who simply can't help spazzing out?

Plenty of firms with "100% offer rates" give cold offers. HTH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Plenty of firms with "100% offer rates" give cold offers. HTH.

I was very happy with my firm's 100% offer rate and the hiring partner's promise at the group lunch that they planned to give offers to everyone at the end. Then my associate mentor pulled me aside and let me know they had cold-offered a guy last year for fit reasons.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:47 am

When do firms Inform you if u are going to get an offer? Last day of work or before?y last day is next Friday and I've been getting extra assignments and good reviews

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:49 am

los blancos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm like 70% certain my firm doesn't have enough business to make me an offer at the end of the summer, and a 2L grade swoon is gonna make it almost impossible to get anything comparable.

Fuck. My. World.

:(

I'm worried about this too, though my worries may be completely unfounded.

Hmmmm

Return to “Legal Employment”