ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby The Duck » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
f7 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question regarding 3LOLOLOCI: I have zero desire to do it and my firm gives offers well before OCI starts. However, I know that bidding ends prior to offers. Should I just not bother even with bidding? I already have a pretty solid back-up plan if I get no-offered.

Can't you just bid and withdraw? Do that.


Not sure if I can do that (haven't checked on the procedures, and I swear I remember something as a 2L where if you're assigned an interview slot you're "strongly encouraged" to go, but maybe it's different for 2L's). If I can, I probably will considering it will take me all of an hour max.


Michigan instituted a monetary fine for skipping but when I called and asked about this they advised strongly to bid. They just said to email and they would cancel my entire schedule if I get an offer I intended to accept prior to OCI. Apparently, they are really only worried about no-shows without notice.
Last edited by The Duck on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273422
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I do 3L OCI?

I'm at DPW, got an excellent mid-summer review, but have been fairly slow all summer. Only been on 8 matters, some of which have been one-off diligence things.

So the question is should I bid on firms for 3L OCI as an insurance policy or not? Or are we all definitely getting offers?


DPW gives everyone offers, and did so every year during the recession. It doesn't hurt to do 3L OCI, but the economy certainly isn't worse than it was summer of 2009. Beyond that, 8 matters as a summer isn't super low. I think I did 12 all told, and I had a "thick review file" according to my exit reviewer (we were super busy the first half, not so busy the second half).

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby TTH » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should I do 3L OCI?

I'm at DPW, got an excellent mid-summer review, but have been fairly slow all summer. Only been on 8 matters, some of which have been one-off diligence things.

So the question is should I bid on firms for 3L OCI as an insurance policy or not? Or are we all definitely getting offers?


DPW gives everyone offers, and did so every year during the recession. It doesn't hurt to do 3L OCI, but the economy certainly isn't worse than it was summer of 2009. Beyond that, 8 matters as a summer isn't super low. I think I did 12 all told, and I had a "thick review file" according to my exit reviewer (we were super busy the first half, not so busy the second half).


Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Even if they're slow, DPW can just print some more money to pay you with.


For the 3L LOLCI res, are you guys being specific or general with regard to what you've done?

i.e.

• Drafted a variety of pleadings and transactional documents for a variety of matters.

or

• Drafted an appellate brief that was filed with the Court of Appeals without revision, resulting in the court affirming the grant of summary judgment obtained at trial.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:42 pm

What if all I've done is draft memoranda on narrow points of law?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273422
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:59 pm

In 3LOLCI and Massmail, can we trust that the recruiters will NOT go call their buddy at our current SA firm and say, "Hey, did you know that your current summer just sent in an application to my firm?" ?

This worries me since any whiff of applications is probably good ground for a no-offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273422
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In 3LOLCI and Massmail, can we trust that the recruiters will NOT go call their buddy at our current SA firm and say, "Hey, did you know that your current summer just sent in an application to my firm?" ?

This worries me since any whiff of applications is probably good ground for a no-offer.

I'm also wondering this/when it's appropriate to start mass mailing? Particularly if it's just because of wanting a different city and/or practice area...

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:59 pm

rad lulz wrote:What if all I've done is draft memoranda on narrow points of law?

There is absolutely no way "Drafted an appellate brief that was filed with the Court of Appeals without revision, resulting in the court affirming the grant of summary judgment obtained at trial" is true.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:03 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What if all I've done is draft memoranda on narrow points of law?

There is absolutely no way "Drafted an appellate brief that was filed with the Court of Appeals without revision, resulting in the court affirming the grant of summary judgment obtained at trial" is true.

Guy is working at a midsize firm. Could be true for a small matter.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:48 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What if all I've done is draft memoranda on narrow points of law?

There is absolutely no way "Drafted an appellate brief that was filed with the Court of Appeals without revision, resulting in the court affirming the grant of summary judgment obtained at trial" is true.

Guy is working at a midsize firm. Could be true for a small matter.

Without edits? Not a chance. Also, let's think for a minute about how long COA decisions take.

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby The Duck » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:01 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What if all I've done is draft memoranda on narrow points of law?

There is absolutely no way "Drafted an appellate brief that was filed with the Court of Appeals without revision, resulting in the court affirming the grant of summary judgment obtained at trial" is true.

Guy is working at a midsize firm. Could be true for a small matter.

Without edits? Not a chance. Also, let's think for a minute about how long COA decisions take.


Maybe a loser appeal with summary affirmation of the trial court from the record on a non-contentious issue? Just because briefs are submitted doesn't mean oral argument, etc. Also, could have been pro bono, etc.
Last edited by The Duck on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

attractive_NUisance
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby attractive_NUisance » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What if all I've done is draft memoranda on narrow points of law?

There is absolutely no way "Drafted an appellate brief that was filed with the Court of Appeals without revision, resulting in the court affirming the grant of summary judgment obtained at trial" is true.

Guy is working at a midsize firm. Could be true for a small matter.

Without edits? Not a chance. Also, let's think for a minute about how long COA decisions take.


I think the quoted passage was meant to be a hypothetical example for the level of specificity to include in a resume bullet.

Personally, I would err on the side of being more general.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273422
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What if all I've done is draft memoranda on narrow points of law?

There is absolutely no way "Drafted an appellate brief that was filed with the Court of Appeals without revision, resulting in the court affirming the grant of summary judgment obtained at trial" is true.

Guy is working at a midsize firm. Could be true for a small matter.

Without edits? Not a chance. Also, let's think for a minute about how long COA decisions take.


It's actually very possible. I did something very similar during my 1L summer (I'm not the OP that asked the question). An attorney had a matter on appeal and asked me to do the appellate brief. I worked on the brief for a while and handed it to him after I proofed and reviewed it for a full day, and he turned around and had his paralegal file it with the COA without changing a thing. As Rad said, it was a small firm (~20 attorneys), so I'm sure that made a big difference.

Also, as to your point about the COA decision timeline, you're right. After the case was filed in July, I kept up with it until a decision was made in February if I remember correctly. However, if it's a slam dunk decision, I could see the COA having a much quicker turnaround.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273422
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In 3LOLCI and Massmail, can we trust that the recruiters will NOT go call their buddy at our current SA firm and say, "Hey, did you know that your current summer just sent in an application to my firm?" ?

This worries me since any whiff of applications is probably good ground for a no-offer.

I'm also wondering this/when it's appropriate to start mass mailing? Particularly if it's just because of wanting a different city and/or practice area...


I'm a 1L and have a SA. I just mass mailed each of the big firms in the same market that im SA. I don't think that's it's a grounds to get no-offered. Firms know you want as many options as possible. From my perspective, you shoot yourself in the foot if you don't

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby de5igual » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In 3LOLCI and Massmail, can we trust that the recruiters will NOT go call their buddy at our current SA firm and say, "Hey, did you know that your current summer just sent in an application to my firm?" ?

This worries me since any whiff of applications is probably good ground for a no-offer.

I'm also wondering this/when it's appropriate to start mass mailing? Particularly if it's just because of wanting a different city and/or practice area...


I'm a 1L and have a SA. I just mass mailed each of the big firms in the same market that im SA. I don't think that's it's a grounds to get no-offered. Firms know you want as many options as possible. From my perspective, you shoot yourself in the foot if you don't


This is one of those instances where a 1L SA =/= 2L SA. Firms expect and encourage 1Ls to split their 2L summers while a 2L summer is basically a commitment to the firm.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:39 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In 3LOLCI and Massmail, can we trust that the recruiters will NOT go call their buddy at our current SA firm and say, "Hey, did you know that your current summer just sent in an application to my firm?" ?

This worries me since any whiff of applications is probably good ground for a no-offer.

I'm also wondering this/when it's appropriate to start mass mailing? Particularly if it's just because of wanting a different city and/or practice area...


I'm a 1L and have a SA. I just mass mailed each of the big firms in the same market that im SA. I don't think that's it's a grounds to get no-offered. Firms know you want as many options as possible. From my perspective, you shoot yourself in the foot if you don't


This is one of those instances where a 1L SA =/= 2L SA. Firms expect and encourage 1Ls to split their 2L summers while a 2L summer is basically a commitment to the firm.


Until they give you an offer for full time, it is not a commitment. I'd be shocked if a firm no-offered someone for looking before offers were made.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273422
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:54 am

I'm like 70% certain my firm doesn't have enough business to make me an offer at the end of the summer, and a 2L grade swoon is gonna make it almost impossible to get anything comparable.

Fuck. My. World.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm like 70% certain my firm doesn't have enough business to make me an offer at the end of the summer, and a 2L grade swoon is gonna make it almost impossible to get anything comparable.

Fuck. My. World.

How do you know. Please describe this situation, brother. And my sympathy.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby los blancos » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm like 70% certain my firm doesn't have enough business to make me an offer at the end of the summer, and a 2L grade swoon is gonna make it almost impossible to get anything comparable.

Fuck. My. World.



:(

I'm worried about this too, though my worries may be completely unfounded.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273422
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:16 pm

As someone who sometimes feels as if he isn't doing as well as others, this is how I often feel:

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you;
Weep, and you weep alone."

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby monkey85 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 pm

los blancos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm like 70% certain my firm doesn't have enough business to make me an offer at the end of the summer, and a 2L grade swoon is gonna make it almost impossible to get anything comparable.

Fuck. My. World.



:(

I'm worried about this too, though my worries may be completely unfounded.


We don't have to just look at our firm. The global economy kind of STINKS right now. It makes it scary when your firms major practice groups are focused on M&A, PE, Cap Markets, Hedge Funds. Even the historically continuous business of Investment Management is in jeopardy when the funds tank, merge, and your firm's client gets acquired so that you no longer have a Board to advise.

With that having been said - almost time for final reviews! :D

Anonymous User
Posts: 273422
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:48 pm

For some reasons, mostly lack of attention to detail on one or two assignments (stupid grammar and spelling errors) which in large part were due to not having sufficient time to edit because of summer associate programming (Yes, this is weak; but it's also true, these do take away significant work time which can hurt on assignments with short deadlines) and being late for a summer associate meeting at one point, I am almost positive I will be no offered. Can anyone bros sympathize? I feel like everyone at my firm is totally on top of their shit. It's really an unfortunate situation ITE.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273422
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For some reasons, mostly lack of attention to detail on one or two assignments (stupid grammar and spelling errors) which in large part were due to not having sufficient time to edit because of summer associate programming (Yes, this is weak; but it's also true, these do take away significant work time which can hurt on assignments with short deadlines) and being late for a summer associate meeting at one point, I am almost positive I will be no offered. Can anyone bros sympathize? I feel like everyone at my firm is totally on top of their shit. It's really an unfortunate situation ITE.


Have they said anything to you about the lack of attention to detail? Did they bring it up in your midsummer review or anything? This sounds like pretty minor stuff to get no offered for

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For some reasons, mostly lack of attention to detail on one or two assignments (stupid grammar and spelling errors) which in large part were due to not having sufficient time to edit because of summer associate programming (Yes, this is weak; but it's also true, these do take away significant work time which can hurt on assignments with short deadlines) and being late for a summer associate meeting at one point, I am almost positive I will be no offered. Can anyone bros sympathize? I feel like everyone at my firm is totally on top of their shit. It's really an unfortunate situation ITE.


Have they said anything to you about the lack of attention to detail? Did they bring it up in your midsummer review or anything? This sounds like pretty minor stuff to get no offered for

I agree. Unless you are being told to get your shit together, I'd imagine you're fine. Even if an attorney told you about a typo or something during one-on-one feedback, a lot of them wouldn't knock you for it in evals. These sound like minor things as long as they are infrequent and handled appropriately. At this point, no use in worrying about it. Just finish strong and hope your firm isn't too anal.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:49 am

Lol at any bitchmade associate or partner who gets angry over a small number of grammar errors. It's a sign of a small mind.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby GeePee » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:For some reasons, mostly lack of attention to detail on one or two assignments (stupid grammar and spelling errors) which in large part were due to not having sufficient time to edit because of summer associate programming (Yes, this is weak; but it's also true, these do take away significant work time which can hurt on assignments with short deadlines) and being late for a summer associate meeting at one point, I am almost positive I will be no offered. Can anyone bros sympathize? I feel like everyone at my firm is totally on top of their shit. It's really an unfortunate situation ITE.

Unless literally all of your documents were riddled with errors (like, many on each page that would call into question your ability to write at all), it won't hurt you enough to cause a no-offer (unless you're in small or midlaw, then maybe it will -- it's hard to generalize these firms). If you're at a big firm, they'll care more about their 100% offer rate than no offering someone who did substantively good work but made a couple of small mistakes and was late for one meeting. Yeah, they'll give you a hard time about it so they scare you into not doing it again, but it will in all likelihood be okay. Just keep turning out quality work and being a likeable person, and you will probably get an offer.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.