ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
InterArma

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby InterArma » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
GeePee wrote:Everything Eric Ripert makes is delicious.

+1. 4 Sure!

Part of my SA anxiety is giving up Le Bernardin for Atomic Wings. BTW: Café Duke across the street makes a great deli sandwich (I know, Le Bernardin and Café Duke should never be mentioned in the same breath!). Out of curiosity have you been to Per Sey. . .I haven’t but I keep hearing about it.

You don't deserve to even be talking about restaurants like Le Bernardin if you spell it "Per Sey."

chup

Postby chup » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:19 pm

InterArma wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:
GeePee wrote:Everything Eric Ripert makes is delicious.

+1. 4 Sure!

Part of my SA anxiety is giving up Le Bernardin for Atomic Wings. BTW: Café Duke across the street makes a great deli sandwich (I know, Le Bernardin and Café Duke should never be mentioned in the same breath!). Out of curiosity have you been to Per Sey. . .I haven’t but I keep hearing about it.

You don't deserve to even be talking about restaurants like Le Bernardin if you spell it "Per Sey."

TBF, she's been caught trolling with alts before, so you can probably assume that over half of whatever she says is utter horseshit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:28 pm

How should you update your resume for 3LOLCI if your SA hasn't ended or is nowhere near being completed? And what level of detail should you put under the description? I really don't want to have to go through OCI again, but there's this nagging fear that I might get no-offered from my summer firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else planning on asking their firm about switching to another office after an offer? What's the most tactful way to do this?

This. Thought I was in the city i wanted, no longer do. I know my firm is looking to grow the office i'd like to transfer to more than the current office I'm working in. How does this go over? Is it worth asking about? Also, my grades vastly improved 1L to 2L (think 1L:2L - 3.6ish:4.0ish (i know 2L is vastly easier than 1L)), would it just be smarter to re-interview to get the city i am looking for and also possibly move up in the Vrankings (provided i get an offer at the end of summer)? Any help would be fantastic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else planning on asking their firm about switching to another office after an offer? What's the most tactful way to do this?

This. Thought I was in the city i wanted, no longer do. I know my firm is looking to grow the office i'd like to transfer to more than the current office I'm working in. How does this go over? Is it worth asking about? Also, my grades vastly improved 1L to 2L (think 1L:2L - 3.6ish:4.0ish (i know 2L is vastly easier than 1L)), would it just be smarter to re-interview to get the city i am looking for and also possibly move up in the Vrankings (provided i get an offer at the end of summer)? Any help would be fantastic.

My 3L friend wanted to move from an office of +500 attorneys to an office of 25 attorneys (in the same firm). She then checked the creds of the attorneys in the smaller office and they were all cum laude, editor of their Ivy LR, etc. Figured she did not have a realistic shot, so she passed on it. If you have the creds, sure, it is worth a slight risk.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My 3L friend wanted to move from an office of +500 attorneys to an office of 25 attorneys (in the same firm). She then checked the creds of the attorneys in the smaller office and they were all cum laude, editor of their Ivy LR, etc. Figured she did not have a realistic shot, so she passed on it. If you have the creds, sure, it is worth a slight risk.

They're not going to yank your offer if you ask. After you've received the offer, call recruiting staff and ask them if they think it might be possible. Be nice about it, but they'll likely look into it (especially if you were well liked)

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:39 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Question:

I've been told by several attorneys that you should never apologize when you're unavailable (like missing a call, or taking a while to return an email) and even if you've made a mistake. Instead, you should briefly explain why you were unavailable, or if you made a mistake to just say, "I'll fix it" and then go right ahead and do it. My assignment director even went out of his way to call me and tell me to that effect.

My natural disposition is rather apologetic so I find it a little bizarre. I'm sure some of you think the contrary, but in what circumstances? Genuinely just trying to gauge what is proper communicative etiquette in big law.

on my team, people are pretty normal and apologize to each other when they eff up, or just to be polite.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:31 am

Does anyone find themselves getting a little tired of maintaining anxious SA-level work intensity? I'm in week seven and am starting to drag a little. Four-to-five more weeks to go, depending on how much time I want to have to myself before starting school (about which I'm not complaining--dat money).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:35 am

Well my first half was intense, my second half is less so. So that worked out well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:37 pm

How are you guys putting the firm you SA'd for on your resume, esp those who are going into 3L OCI, in terms of showing that you had an offer extended?

And also, if we don't find out about the offer until much later, and 3L OCI is going on right now, wouldn't it look bad to not have "Offer Extended" (or whatever phrase you are supposed to put) on your resume?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are you guys putting the firm you SA'd for on your resume, esp those who are going into 3L OCI, in terms of showing that you had an offer extended?

And also, if we don't find out about the offer until much later, and 3L OCI is going on right now, wouldn't it look bad to not have "Offer Extended" (or whatever phrase you are supposed to put) on your resume?

I'll go ahead and plus one this. The firm I am working for doesn't extend offers until after OCI starts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:48 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How are you guys putting the firm you SA'd for on your resume, esp those who are going into 3L OCI, in terms of showing that you had an offer extended?

I'll go ahead and plus one this. The firm I am working for doesn't extend offers until after OCI starts.

+2

Also, what do you put under work description in your resume if your SA hasn't ended but you need to submit an updated resume now for OCI?

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, what do you put under work description in your resume if your SA hasn't ended but you need to submit an updated resume now for OCI?

+1

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:00 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, what do you put under work description in your resume if your SA hasn't ended but you need to submit an updated resume now for OCI?

+1

I'd say keep it pretty general. No more than 3 bullets (each being one line). Firms you'll be interviewing have a good idea of what a summer really does. It'll be the stories you tell about your experience that matter more. <grain of salt>

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Question regarding 3LOLOLOCI: I have zero desire to do it and my firm gives offers well before OCI starts. However, I know that bidding ends prior to offers. Should I just not bother even with bidding? I already have a pretty solid back-up plan if I get no-offered.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question regarding 3LOLOLOCI: I have zero desire to do it and my firm gives offers well before OCI starts. However, I know that bidding ends prior to offers. Should I just not bother even with bidding? I already have a pretty solid back-up plan if I get no-offered.

Depends on how risk-averse you are.

IF very risk-averse: bid anyway, the firm understands you don't know about offers in advance of OCI bidding and may need to hedge your bets by applying just in case of a no-offer

IF not risk-averse: don't bid and enjoy your few extra hours in the day

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:59 pm

depending on where you are the bids might not even fill up. at my CCN i didn't bid, but then decided last minute i wanted to do 3L oci. i ended up with 1 or 2 interviews just from the waitlist. i think a lot of the people who do bid are ones just paranoid and eventually withdraw their bid after receiving offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:03 am

f7 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question regarding 3LOLOLOCI: I have zero desire to do it and my firm gives offers well before OCI starts. However, I know that bidding ends prior to offers. Should I just not bother even with bidding? I already have a pretty solid back-up plan if I get no-offered.

Can't you just bid and withdraw? Do that.

Not sure if I can do that (haven't checked on the procedures, and I swear I remember something as a 2L where if you're assigned an interview slot you're "strongly encouraged" to go, but maybe it's different for 2L's). If I can, I probably will considering it will take me all of an hour max.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
f7 wrote:

Can't you just bid and withdraw? Do that.

Not sure if I can do that (haven't checked on the procedures, and I swear I remember something as a 2L where if you're assigned an interview slot you're "strongly encouraged" to go, but maybe it's different for 2L's). If I can, I probably will considering it will take me all of an hour max.

I reckon there is also a rule that you have to withdraw from OCI once you accept an offer, so you can just do that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:58 pm

are we going to start posting offers/no-offers in this thread or is that going to be started elsewhere?

it's almost that time of year...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:52 am

Once the firm makes an offer, how long do you [typically] have to accept? I once read it was 21 days for most firms - does anyone know 4 sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Once the firm makes an offer, how long do you [typically] have to accept? I once read it was 21 days for most firms - does anyone know 4 sure.
ditto

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:45 am

Should I do 3L OCI?

I'm at DPW, got an excellent mid-summer review, but have been fairly slow all summer. Only been on 8 matters, some of which have been one-off diligence things.

So the question is should I bid on firms for 3L OCI as an insurance policy or not? Or are we all definitely getting offers?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Should I do 3L OCI?

I'm at DPW, got an excellent mid-summer review, but have been fairly slow all summer. Only been on 8 matters, some of which have been one-off diligence things.

So the question is should I bid on firms for 3L OCI as an insurance policy or not? Or are we all definitely getting offers?

It doesn't hurt to bid. If your review went well, and you don't do anything stupid for the duration of the program, then you're most likely going to get an offer.

I'm assuming just about every CSO has a provision that says you can drop-out of OCI if you receive an offer. I think it would be pretty imprudent not to bid, unless you're somehow privy to inside information and 100% sure you're getting an offer.

Protip: just don't bid your SA firm.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Once the firm makes an offer, how long do you [typically] have to accept? I once read it was 21 days for most firms - does anyone know 4 sure.
ditto

From NALP:

Employers offering full-time positions to commence following graduation to candidates previously employed by them – and employers offering positions for the following summer to candidates previously employed by them – should leave those offers open until at least November 1.

Return to “Legal Employment”