ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Oneusealt
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Oneusealt » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:10 am

R6 and others offended,

I profusely apologize. I was under the impression that calling out your firm did not constitute outing because in this thread, people have encouraged others to reveal what firm posters were summering at. I stand by what I wrote but realize I should have described the office in general terms rather than naming it or being too specific. I posted anonymously because I know who r6 is and, as he pointed out, he knows who I am. I thought that our previously relationship would cloud the point I was making (we previously debated in an admittance thread). I wanted to make the point without having to derail the thread into a discussion of whether we have issues aside from the thread.

In sum, sorry to all, stand by my point, posted anonymously to keep thread on topic.

Feel free to ban this alt.

-slax

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:14 am

Oneusealt wrote:Feel free to ban this alt.

-slax

Done.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:21 am

I actually never got the point because I never saw the post. So someone clue me in? :D

I am not terribly offended. I am offended to the extend that people don't usually do this here. I am not offended personally because people know how I feel about this anonymity stuff and I can't be a hypocrite. I see your point, but I try to abide by the rules here as everyone else. I am not going to hold it against you, and if you want to bring up your point again, I will answer it.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Renne Walker » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:10 am

Not that this causes any high level of anxiety, but nonetheless.

Today I noticed someone puffing on an e-cigarette―I thought it looked a bit out of place. As a side note, every day a small group breaks together to an area (outdoors) nicknamed the “smoking lounge.” Is this true every where?

Reprisal
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:51 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Reprisal » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:13 am

ya that's called the "hiring committee" and you better prove your cool before it's too late

Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:28 am

When do people usually find out about full-time offers? Does it depend from firm to firm, or is there a standard amount of time that summers need to wait until they hear?

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:When do people usually find out about full-time offers? Does it depend from firm to firm, or is there a standard amount of time that summers need to wait until they hear?

This was asked and answered literally one page ago. Depends on the firm, and it's a fair question to ask your recruiting folks.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Renne Walker » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Reprisal wrote:ya that's called the "hiring committee" and you better prove your cool before it's too late

:lol: You are probably right. I gave up smoking when I saw cigs cost over than $12 a pack (on the other hand, Ripert’s truffled lobster en brioche costs about $10 per bite).

I’ve heard others complain that so’n’so smells like a juke joint (whatever the hell that is.. . certainly did not sound complimentary). My question is more about how firms generally view smokers, perhaps it is not an issue. Not sure. I do think puffing on an e-cig in the office looks inane (unless it is by a partner, at that point, it is clever and fashionable. 8))

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby GeePee » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
Reprisal wrote:ya that's called the "hiring committee" and you better prove your cool before it's too late

:lol: You are probably right. I gave up smoking when I saw cigs cost over than $12 a pack (on the other hand, Ripert’s truffled lobster en brioche costs about $10 per bite).

I’ve heard others complain that so’n’so smells like a juke joint (whatever the hell that is.. . certainly did not sound complimentary). My question is more about how firms generally view smokers, perhaps it is not an issue. Not sure. I do think puffing on an e-cig in the office looks inane (unless it is by a partner, at that point, it is clever and fashionable. 8))

Everything Eric Ripert makes is delicious.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7114
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby los blancos » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When do people usually find out about full-time offers? Does it depend from firm to firm, or is there a standard amount of time that summers need to wait until they hear?



My impression is that at a lot of bigger firms you often find out before you've even left the firm for the summer. I probably won't know for much longer than that because there's almost zero turnover at my firm. (i.e., how long it takes to find out is probably a function of how much turnover there is at your firm)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:46 pm

los blancos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When do people usually find out about full-time offers? Does it depend from firm to firm, or is there a standard amount of time that summers need to wait until they hear?



My impression is that at a lot of bigger firms you often find out before you've even left the firm for the summer. I probably won't know for much longer than that because there's almost zero turnover at my firm. (i.e., how long it takes to find out is probably a function of how much turnover there is at your firm)


I'm at a very large (1000+) firm and they said we won't know until at least a month after the program ends because of the red tape they have to go through.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:04 pm

I'm at a huge firm this summer and was told that we will very likely know whether we have offers by the time we walk out the door on the last day. Was very glad to hear that since I would hate to have to sweat through OCI if I don't have to.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:22 pm

At a big firm, should know about our offers a few days before the end of the summer program.

But on that note - any offers out at other firms yet?

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Ludo! » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 pm

A few days BEFORE? So if you get no offered you still have to keep coming in to work?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:07 pm

At a big firm in NYC. We apparently find out a few days before our program ends and have continuously been assured that we're all getting offers. It should be a shitshow once we get the official confirmation.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:23 pm

los blancos wrote: I probably won't know for much longer than that because there's almost zero turnover at my firm. (i.e., how long it takes to find out is probably a function of how much turnover there is at your firm)


LOL no. It's about firm stability. That's why I made the comment earlier about the suck. A firm that waits until October to give an offer is fucking you over in many ways.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:35 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
los blancos wrote: I probably won't know for much longer than that because there's almost zero turnover at my firm. (i.e., how long it takes to find out is probably a function of how much turnover there is at your firm)


LOL no. It's about firm stability. That's why I made the comment earlier about the suck. A firm that waits until October to give an offer is fucking you over in many ways.[

Waiting to hear about the offer can be brutal. But the response time can be based on something as simple providing members of the hiring committee with plenty of time to review each candidate's file, and waiting for a particular week after the summer vacation period when all memebers of the hiring committee will be around. At my firm, we waited like a month, although my mentor told me in confidence the response time was essentially tailored to work around vacations/late reviews from assigning attorneys.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
los blancos wrote: I probably won't know for much longer than that because there's almost zero turnover at my firm. (i.e., how long it takes to find out is probably a function of how much turnover there is at your firm)


LOL no. It's about firm stability. That's why I made the comment earlier about the suck. A firm that waits until October to give an offer is fucking you over in many ways.[

Waiting to hear about the offer can be brutal. But the response time can be based on something as simple providing members of the hiring committee with plenty of time to review each candidate's file, and waiting for a particular week after the summer vacation period when all memebers of the hiring committee will be around. At my firm, we waited like a month, although my mentor told me in confidence the response time was essentially tailored to work around vacations/late reviews from assigning attorneys.


Even if there is a valid explanation for the delay, which there is (rarely), it still fucks you over. Suppose you wanted to interview at 3L OCI. You think not having "offer extended" on your resume doesn't put you at a disadvantage compared to those who do have it on their resume?

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7114
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby los blancos » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:06 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
los blancos wrote: I probably won't know for much longer than that because there's almost zero turnover at my firm. (i.e., how long it takes to find out is probably a function of how much turnover there is at your firm)


LOL no. It's about firm stability. That's why I made the comment earlier about the suck. A firm that waits until October to give an offer is fucking you over in many ways.



In a firm with 1,000 lawyers, perhaps. Not quite the same elsewhere.



Fresh Prince wrote:
Even if there is a valid explanation for the delay, which there is (rarely), it still fucks you over. Suppose you wanted to interview at 3L OCI. You think not having "offer extended" on your resume doesn't put you at a disadvantage compared to those who do have it on their resume?



This is true. Though conversely, it's better than a no-offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:29 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
los blancos wrote: I probably won't know for much longer than that because there's almost zero turnover at my firm. (i.e., how long it takes to find out is probably a function of how much turnover there is at your firm)


LOL no. It's about firm stability. That's why I made the comment earlier about the suck. A firm that waits until October to give an offer is fucking you over in many ways.[

Waiting to hear about the offer can be brutal. But the response time can be based on something as simple providing members of the hiring committee with plenty of time to review each candidate's file, and waiting for a particular week after the summer vacation period when all memebers of the hiring committee will be around. At my firm, we waited like a month, although my mentor told me in confidence the response time was essentially tailored to work around vacations/late reviews from assigning attorneys.


Even if there is a valid explanation for the delay, which there is (rarely), it still fucks you over. Suppose you wanted to interview at 3L OCI. You think not having "offer extended" on your resume doesn't put you at a disadvantage compared to those who do have it on their resume?


Not necessarily. Not if you are coming from a more highly regarded firm, or you are a particularly outstanding student. Also not if you are coming from a firm with historically near perfect offer rates. Firms know offer dates differ, they know about the caliber of each other's SAs, and they know about each other's offer rates. If you're an awesome candidate, not holding an offer won't hurt you. As always , it really depends. A no offer in the other hand is a problem.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:35 pm

Anyone else planning on asking their firm about switching to another office after an offer? What's the most tactful way to do this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else planning on asking their firm about switching to another office after an offer? What's the most tactful way to do this?


Definitely a troublesome issue. Could turn into an awkward turtle.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby Renne Walker » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:47 pm

GeePee wrote:Everything Eric Ripert makes is delicious.


+1. 4 Sure!

Part of my SA anxiety is giving up Le Bernardin for Atomic Wings. BTW: Café Duke across the street makes a great deli sandwich (I know, Le Bernardin and Café Duke should never be mentioned in the same breath!). Out of curiosity have you been to Per Sey. . .I haven’t but I keep hearing about it.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
GeePee wrote:Everything Eric Ripert makes is delicious.


+1. 4 Sure!

Part of my SA anxiety is giving up Le Bernardin for Atomic Wings. BTW: Café Duke across the street makes a great deli sandwich (I know, Le Bernardin and Café Duke should never be mentioned in the same breath!). Out of curiosity have you been to Per Sey. . .I haven’t but I keep hearing about it.


Le Bernadin is the one-time treat I"ve been saving up for with the little SA money I've kept for myself as spending $$. Sort of hesitant to go, since I hear that no seafood I have after that will ever compare or live up.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.