ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fatduck

Gold

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Post by fatduck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:27 am

someone at his firm told him "you know, we no-offered a guy last year for expressing interest in a different practice group" ??

i'm gonna go ahead and say that didn't happen

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:46 am

Even if you have been offered, I would stay true to your location. NYC firm jobs are too important to screw with. I receive lots of advice from the career center and I am prone to trust them, even when their suggestions seem counterintuitive ―if I am applying in a market like Boston, and they ask if I am applying to any NYC firms, the only answer is NO. Doesn’t seem right on several levels, but I “get it.” Unless Hawaii is on their location list, best play it super safe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Partner extended offer during my last week at firm. Still have not received hard copy of anything confirming offer. Have emailed firms inquiring into them interviewing 3Ls at OCI. Could I potentially be very screwed if somebody at my summer firm finds out about my inquiries elsewhere?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Partner extended offer during my last week at firm. Still have not received hard copy of anything confirming offer. Have emailed firms inquiring into them interviewing 3Ls at OCI. Could I potentially be very screwed if somebody at my summer firm finds out about my inquiries elsewhere?
Doubt it. If you're really twitchy about it, e-mail the partner who extended the offer and say something to the effect of, "Just wanted to thank you once again for the good news and convey once more how excited I am to join Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe next fall. I made some inquiries at other firms about first-year associate hiring before we spoke last week. No one has called to schedule any interviews yet, but I will of course decline any interview offers I may receive once I have your offer letter. Please don't read this as me rushing you or anything, I just wanted to let you know I had made some inquiries in case anyone from another firm should happen to contact you about me and let you know I remain committed to Dewey."

Alter the tone as appropriate depending on your relationship with the partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Partner extended offer during my last week at firm. Still have not received hard copy of anything confirming offer. Have emailed firms inquiring into them interviewing 3Ls at OCI. Could I potentially be very screwed if somebody at my summer firm finds out about my inquiries elsewhere?
Doubtful as it can always be explained away as covering your bases until you get an official offer letter. Having said that, get that letter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:39 pm

TTH wrote:
Doubt it. If you're really twitchy about it, e-mail the partner who extended the offer and say something to the effect of, "Just wanted to thank you once again for the good news and convey once more how excited I am to join Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe next fall. I made some inquiries at other firms about first-year associate hiring before we spoke last week. No one has called to schedule any interviews yet, but I will of course decline any interview offers I may receive once I have your offer letter. Please don't read this as me rushing you or anything, I just wanted to let you know I had made some inquiries in case anyone from another firm should happen to contact you about me and let you know I remain committed to Dewey."

The thing is, I will probably still do 3L OCI interviews even after getting a hard copy of an offer letter. I sent those inquiries out to other firms after getting the verbal offer from the partner.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TTH wrote:

The thing is, I will probably still do 3L OCI interviews even after getting a hard copy of an offer letter. I sent those inquiries out to other firms after getting the verbal offer from the partner.
Assuming your firm is a NALP firm, I think you've got some coverage in the rules as far as them holding an offer open. I assume you'd need a written offer for that to apply. I've never bothered to check. If it's not a NALP firm, then yeah, you're exposed to some risk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:50 pm

TTH wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TTH wrote:

Assuming your firm is a NALP firm, I think you've got some coverage in the rules as far as them holding an offer open. I assume you'd need a written offer for that to apply. I've never bothered to check. If it's not a NALP firm, then yeah, you're exposed to some risk.
It's a NALP firm, but the rules seem to apply to written, official offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Am I the only one who basically used this summer as an opportunity to confirm that I don't want to work in a big firm when I graduate? My summer program and the people I've worked with have been great, and money is nice, but overall...meh. Not for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Am I the only one who basically used this summer as an opportunity to confirm that I don't want to work in a big firm when I graduate? My summer program and the people I've worked with have been great, and money is nice, but overall...meh. Not for me.
$5 says that you take the offer due to fear of being employed upon graduation.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Am I the only one who basically used this summer as an opportunity to confirm that I don't want to work in a big firm when I graduate? My summer program and the people I've worked with have been great, and money is nice, but overall...meh. Not for me.
I'm not sure many people have a huge desire to work in BigLaw. But for a lot of us, there's not really another option that allows us to pay of the debt and give us a good start to our legal career. I think the amount of people who went into this summer just to "check out" firm-life is probably a pretty small amount.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:50 pm

I feel the same and am indifferent now about working at a big firm. But I need to work for a firm for at least a year, since I have a $70K loan to payoff (thank god for my half-scholly). After that, we will see.

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:07 pm

The problem is, what other options are there? To work in house or nonprofit you need to work at a firm (or govt) first. And in this job market, getting an offer from firms before 3L is a lot safer than waiting to pass the bar when big law isn't even an offer anymore if other stuff doesn't work out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:12 am

Just confirmed my large Texas firm only gave around 85% offers ... haven't received a call ... nervous

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just confirmed my large Texas firm only gave around 85% offers ... haven't received a call ... nervous
If they haven't made all calls how do you know they gave 85% offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just confirmed my large Texas firm only gave around 85% offers ... haven't received a call ... nervous
I heard that number from someone at the firm. I think they did make all the calls ...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:23 am

Which large firm? V&E is calling...I got mine earlier tonight. However, we were told they would call regardless of whether you got an offer and not all hiring partners called tonight...some will wait until the AM. It was pretty late.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I heard that number from someone at the firm. I think they did make all the calls ...
Did you get any indication that you had any problems throughout the summer? With 85% offers your call could just be coming tomorrow, especially since you didn't hear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Which large firm? V&E is calling...I got mine earlier tonight. However, we were told they would call regardless of whether you got an offer and not all hiring partners called tonight...some will wait until the AM. It was pretty late.

Thanks I guess I will hope a call comes tomorrow! (and isnt bad news).

I basically received no feedback all summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:49 am

I'm sure you're fine if you received no feedback. All of the no-offer stories I heard from previous years were pretty ridiculous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:38 am

this shit is absolutely scaring me now if this is any indication of the texas markets. still at my second half in houston and won't find out about offers till mid august.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:08 am

I just wish they would be straight with us. They said that because all the offices release offers at the same time, we wouldn't hear for a few weeks after the end of the program, around the beginning of September. Then I read on ATL yesterday 100% offers at another office. They said that the deferrals were over and we shouldn't worry, then I read about deferrals at an international office. This is one case where assurances don't help if other news contradicts them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Which office(s)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Which office(s)?
The offices have all had their individual meetings last week. They met firm-wide last night to approve their lists. Hiring partners should be calling last night/today to notify everyone. It seems like the smaller offices called last night while the larger offices probably wait until today. I don't think they even wrapped up the meeting until 8 or 9 pm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:01 am

Missed a call that was presumably my offer/no-offer. The caller left no message. Oh, the suspense!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”