AUSA externship in 3L---worth it or not?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

AUSA externship in 3L---worth it or not?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 1:45 pm

will do big law patent lit in 2L summer. already finished an externship at a district court.
just saw an opening for AUSA externship. it's civil division, torts and civil rights litigation.
would it be worth to commit the required 16-20hr/wk in my 3rd yr?

my thoughts:
1. it's not my practice area. so the experience isn't so relevant. but general lit experience is still helpful?
2. how much would an AUSA externship add to my credentials? i guess it's below the federal court externship. but does it add anything at all?
3. how would the 2L summer firm look at the AUSA? i'm under the impression that big law hiring partners wouldn't want students to get distracted by government positions, because of the totally different career path and perks. so the firm might think of me less committed to the firm?

NoleinNY

Re: AUSA externship in 3L---worth it or not?

Postby NoleinNY » Thu May 10, 2012 1:58 pm

If you have nothing better to do, go for it. That said, I would not take this if there were better alternatives available. (This is all assuming they take you for the externship.)

Edited for horrendous syntax fail.

frank galvin

Postby frank galvin » Sun May 13, 2012 9:50 pm

I would not be overly worried about a biglaw firm being suspicious of a federal externship. I think in many cases, the best externships involve federal gov't positions. I also think that the biglaw paths are not necessarily divergent from the AUSA track. Many lawyers go biglaw into an AUSA position, while others do the reverse.

I think it is worth while. I summered at a USAO and did an externship at another. They are pretty good opportunities to hone your legal research and writing. They are also tremendous networking opportunities. Many AUSAs have very good connections that you can tap into. Also, the AUSA workload is very manageable and they often have lots of time to provide advice and give guidance.

Also, depending on the local rules, you may be able to score a couple appearances under the guidance of an AUSA. Its pretty neat to appear in federal court as a law student.

From my perspective, the key is to do good work at a USAO and develop some relationships. If you prove trustworthy you can work directly on some cases and can get some worthwhile practical training.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:will do big law patent lit in 2L summer. already finished an externship at a district court.
just saw an opening for AUSA externship. it's civil division, torts and civil rights litigation.
would it be worth to commit the required 16-20hr/wk in my 3rd yr?

my thoughts:
1. it's not my practice area. so the experience isn't so relevant. but general lit experience is still helpful?
2. how much would an AUSA externship add to my credentials? i guess it's below the federal court externship. but does it add anything at all?
3. how would the 2L summer firm look at the AUSA? i'm under the impression that big law hiring partners wouldn't want students to get distracted by government positions, because of the totally different career path and perks. so the firm might think of me less committed to the firm?

Nobody will care. It's good experience, but will take time away from studying if that is what you are into.

Starscream15

Postby Starscream15 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:46 pm

I would say do it if it will not interfere with your grades. If you are looking to enter Biglaw you need to continue to maintain high grades and class standing. However, if your 3L classes are easy mode then an externship could be very helpful. First, no person in their right mind would look negatively on someone who is gaining actual work experience. Second, it is imperative for your own sake that you gain work experience. Externships are great for teaching you how things work in the real world. It would also be a great way to network with some AUSAs, Fed Judges and other practicing attorneys. You never know how such connections might help later on. Unless the externship is going to hurt you academically, professionally it seems like a positive opportunity.

Source- Externed 1L year at USAO and know several others who also did it.

Return to “Legal Employment”